So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Some of them don’t have anything to lose. Look my family, my Republican family which is most the family down here, they don’t have retirement, their bodies are failing them, they have mortgages on houses they’ve had for decades if they still have a house at all. These are not the haves Republicans. These are have nots.

The sad fact is, for the boomers in my life, no party, no politician, no one who isn’t going to outright lie, can give them the time they need to in order to retire and not struggle if they can retire at all. And here comes this guy with all these slick sale pitches and not only like false promises, he gives them a way to look at their current standing and not blame themselves. It’s not your fault, it’s these others.

Again, this is just one section of the Republican group i hear from, frequently here. The truck drivers that keep bitching about other drives who don’t speak English, who have symbols they assume on religious symbols painted on their trucks, they’re in full-blown racist and against any religion but Christian mode but what’s the real problem, what’s the source… you can find that in the articles that talk about how truck driving was a middle-class opportunity for those who don’t want to or can’t have access to a factory and don’t have education. It’s not paying what it used to. And so many are self-employed, and they suck at that. No retirement savings, difficult with health insurance, and a ton of regulations they blame the Democrats for. Every one of them will tell you they’re not racist, but then you wonder why they care at all what someone else paints on the side of their truck… like how that matters at all. I keep hearing about swords and Islam, but I thought that symbol was a moon and a star. I don’t know what the swords thing is at all.

This group does not get a racist pass or well sorry you were suckered into voting for someone that didn’t actually help you. Moth says they can’t be helped… in the way they want to be.

I was thinking more of the well to do. Of course you are correct, the majority are not wealthy.

Oh that group. Yeah I think they knew what they were doing. I was thinking along the lines of the lower to mid middle class. Not really the upper-class. They had other reasons to vote Republican, if for no other reason, than not to bludgeoned by Bernie style / level of taxes. The regulation stuff, I assume, is important to a number of business owners as well as minimum wage and healthcare requirements.

I definitely get that,

but there’s one party that has tried several times to privatize (destroy) social security,

and there’s one party that has tried several times to create budget crises by cutting taxes for the wealthy and then tried to balance the budget by cutting social security and Medicare,

and all these people you’re talking about have for retirement is social security and Medicare,

And they keep voting for that party.

Yeah they do, but the Republicans give them something money can’t buy, they tell them it’s not their fault as they give them targets instead, people to blame for the fact that the nice AARP pictures with people that have grey hair living an endless vacation… that’s not their future. j

So they don’t have enough money now, they’ll have less money in the future but hey they weren’t going to do to well anyway with what they had and now they can spend 20-30 years telling everyone how these other groups robbed them of their retirement, destroyed the country they helped build, and how ungrateful and spoiled the generations behind them are for not understanding that. Also they’ve had it harder than any other group, ever.

Yes, that always works. Sigh.

Trump is a pretty straight by the numbers Populist Demagogue, other than the fact that he is actually quite stupid.

The “it’s someone else’s fault” is pretty much the standard populist approach. And once people have voted one way, cognitive dissonance ensure most people will perform the most incredible mental contortions to justify their actions.

The one aspect about less well-off GOP voters that I’ve never understood is the “Joe the Plumber” syndrome. I’m not rich, I’ll probably never be rich, but by God, just in case I do manage to become rich, you better not tax those who are rich. That’s really a uniquely US attitude.

Skipper - you’re a wonderful person, and always well spoken and I hear where you’re coming from. However, how can one have a heart and take away healthcare for children? This is out in the open what’s on the table, and if they still say, “but that’s not why I still support him”. Well, at what point do they stop supporting him then? Killing kids or throwing them in cages isn’t enough to have their heart in the right place?

I just, I’m so tired of seeing so many abused and taken advantage of by Republicans and their policies. I understand their initial vote for trump, but it’s been 2 years of hell and it’s blatantly obvious he will drive this country into the ground just for his ego. He will (and has been) sacrificing those who are most vulnerable in this country.

Well said, man. Very well said. To you and the others trying to sway me, perhaps your right, the time has come to push back.

Yeah, this DeSantis supporter in Florida is totes not a racist:

In the “he just doesn’t get it” department, he complains that Chris Rock can get on stage and use the n-word, but why is it bad if he, a rich white guy does it?? :rolleyes:

Isn’t the real racism of today the fact that one race can use words that others can’t?

Absolutely! People of all races should really be able to say ‘hello officer’

Absolutely. Also, ‘press one for English’ and the War on Christmas! So many reasons for outrage!

Absolutely! People of all races should really be able to say ‘hello officer’

Well played, sir.

An analysis of the records obtained by The Associated Press reveals racial disparity in the process. Georgia’s population is approximately 32 percent black, according to the U.S. Census, but the list of voter registrations on hold with Kemp’s office is nearly 70 percent black.

Kemp’s office blamed that disparity on the New Georgia Project, a voter registration group founded by Abrams in 2013.

Kemp accuses the organization of being sloppy in registering voters, and says they submitted inadequate forms for a batch of applicants that was predominantly black. His office has said the New Georgia Project used primarily paper forms and “did not adequately train canvassers to ensure legible, complete forms ….”

His office says “the law applies equally across all demographics,” but these numbers became skewed by “the higher usage of one method of registration among one particular demographic group.”

Voters whose applications are frozen in “pending” status have 26 months to fix any issues before their application is canceled, and can still cast a provisional ballot.

But critics say the system has a high error rate and decry the racial disparity that it produces.

It’s all about disenfranchisement and always has been.

PA has online voter registration, along with license/ID voter renewal registration and mail in voter registration.

Goes back to the Federalist Papers, where there was often much concern expressed about the mob’s passions and containing them. After all, at the beginning the franchise was restricted to white male owners of property (and not just a family farm, either).
Ironic given our current situation:

As articulated by Hamilton, one reason the Electoral College was created was so “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications”

That worked out well, huh?