So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

I think we need to build a wall to protect the homeland from this invasion of bad leafs.

There’s also a turkey-based salmonella outbreak, and the USDA have no idea where it’s coming from…just in case you needed more Thanksgiving day anxiety!

There go my usual plans for cooking the turkey medium rare.

I was going to say isn’t this usually a problem with people handling poultry badly… you don’t serve chicken or turkey under-cooked and you can often get salmonella if you cross contaminate but not if you actually cook it.

aka I treat most poultry like it’s going to kill me if i don’t cook it right or wash my hands before i touch something else.

Yes. Watching me work with raw poultry is probably hilarious. Pure unadulterated fear and paranoia as I meticulously scrub every surface within five feet of anywhere it went, delicate handling of the meat as I attempt to not jostle it, lest I dislodge a flurry of microscopic water droplets (AKA CONTAMINATION BOMBS), constant hand-washing, fastidious disinfection of every single tool employed in its preparation, etc.

But man, I ain’t gonna fuck around with salmonella.

edit: it is possible I have, somewhat regularly, disinfected my sink-side hand-soap dispenser.

Also, don’t wash your raw poultry. It just splashes the salmonella all around your kitchen.

You’re, umm, disinfecting your soap? Not judging just clarifying.

I grew up watching my parents do this. It was a hard habit to break.

The container itself. It’s a little pump bottle thing, so I’m always pressing it with gross, contaminated hands. So every so often I douse it with disinfectant spray cleaner.

Haha. I just wiped it down with my soapy hands, but I hear yah.

At Pike Place?

At the U-dist Farmer’s Market on Saturday from 9am-2pm, and the Capitol Hill Farmer’s Market Sundays from 11am-3pm, both at least until the end of March. www.9thandhennepin.com

As do I. Must be careful.

Wasn’t that like 3-4 months ago?

Lettuce sucks anyway.

Eat spinach like a real man.

Most of it comes from China, which makes me more than a little leery of it.

The spinach we eat in NA? That’s not good if true. Their soil, water, and air is super polluted.

Wikipedia, but still probably accurate:

In 2016, world production of spinach was 26.7 million tonnes, with China alone accounting for 92% of the total.

The US is #2, but the gap is… insane.
China: 24.5 million tonnes
US: 0.32 million tonnes

I’m sure all of the US production is probably consumed in the US, but I doubt it is enough to keep everyone fed.

Also… kidney stones aren’t fun, so eating spinach all the time isn’t the greatest idea out there.

I make an AWESOME spinach salad. Just sayin’.

Anecdata: I stopped eating raw spinach after I got violently sick after having a spinach salad for brunch many years ago.

There was a big furor some years back with an outbreak traced to spinach. Many restaurants stopped selling spinach during it, and one of my local places permanently discontinued their strawberry spinach salad in the wake of it.