So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

I actually recall spinach as being the primary vector for e coli in the past.

China probably produces mostly frozen/canned spinach, or for domestic Chinese consumption. I suspect that general per capita vegetable consumption in China is much higher than most Western countries, for both cultural/culinary and economic reasons.

Like other cool-season leafy crops, most (about 96%) of the fresh spinach consumed in the United States is produced domestically

It does distress me to learn that so much world spinach production is Chinese. Is there a good chance that what I’m eating is American?

In case it hasn’t been noted here, you should take a look at your spring greens mixes. Ours had baby romaine in it.

I read somewhere recently that grocery stores are required to state what country all of their produce is from on the display. I’ve been checking when I grocery shop now, and while it’s not always in-your-face obvious, it does seem to be there somewhere, most frequently on those stickers they stick on the produce somewhere. (Get out your reading glasses if you need them.) I’m not sure if this requirement applies to the pre-bagged salads and whatnot.

But I’ve been paying more attention to it recently, only after my husband read some article about which countries use the most pesticides and such, so I try to avoid buying produce that comes from those countries if there are alternatives. (There isn’t always.)

Next time I shop, I’ll check the fresh spinach… I’m curious now.

I tossed out my salad mixes, just in case. I didn’t have the original bag.

Oh my goodness I go to both of those farmer’s markets all the time and I’ve seen your stand before. They look incredible!

No way man! Keep you government hands of my lettuce. Eminent Romaine is unconstitutional!

Haha, thanks. I think I do good work.

Tomorrow will actually be my first week at the U-dist market- they allowing me in for the ‘end of the season’ (Dec-March). But I’ve been at Cap Hill since March this year, and a bunch of other random ones regularly during the season (South Lane Union, Phinney, Georgetown, last week i was at Magnolia, etc). It’s been interesting. Hell of a way to start a new business, for sure.

That’s awesome! We’ll definitely come check out your donuts soon!

Thanks. I actually made a thread about the business over in EE a while back, shortly after I started it. For more discussion, let’s go over there and stop derailing this thread.

Probably depends on what part of the country you are in. In California I would bet the Salinas Valley grows a good deal of spinach so here it would be local.

No shit.

I am not really in this group, this time, but yeah I got laid off from my first professional gig in 2009. It was… it was hard. I know a number of people from my HS grad class who lost homes, lost jobs… just yeah it was rough. Those should have been peak earning years.

The only reason I got a Masters is because I couldn’t find a “real” job and going back to school put my loans back in forbearance. Helped that they were willing to offer me a grad assistant position and pay my tuition plus a small stipend (which, sadly, wasn’t much less than my job at the time was paying). Graduating in 2009 was… less than ideal.

Shut down Whole Foods, build more Wal-Marts, take away their smartphones, and give millenials some discount Starbucks-type coffee huts to feed their addictions and stand back as their money piles grow exponentially.

Starbucks did not become a thing on the backs of millennials, they were still kids. I don’t understand why these Boomer and GenX things keep be attributed to millennials.

Did you read the article? This just sounds like stuff people peddle. It’s not what the money is being spent on it’s the lack of money being earned.

Oh yea, and toggle their internet access.

This is just dumb. If you spend $50, then you are putting $50 in the economy regardless of whether the person taking the money works for Walmart or Whole Foods.

And if you are suggesting that shopping at Walmart is more thrifty, then that is exactly the wrong advice to a generation that is supposedly tanking the economy by not spending enough money.

Yeah, that was entirely on me and my generation (X). Not only that, but we dragged our kids there along with us to indoctrinate them. “Hey, let’s meet so-and-so at Starbucks,” while actually visiting someone’s home or going to a legitimately fun activity together would have been infinitely preferred by our children. But no, I needed my overpriced caffeine fix along with the desire to seem “hip.” And here, son; take an overpriced lemon square and overpriced carbonated juice and like it. /rant about one of my poor parenting decisions