So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

As if that would have done anything. There is no requirement that it be done, just like there is no requirement to release taxes. And remember? He’s the healthiest person to ever be President! The toy at the bottom of his Cracker Jack box said so!

They could just be weighting the responses. That would be the normal way of dealing with it.

Could be wrong, but didn’t New York City give us much of the Television and Music industry as they began in the first half of the 20th century. They then migrated to California.

And if you pulled a comparable amount of the US population out by removing Trump states, Hillary would win the EC (for example, AL, SC, LA, KY, OK, IA, UT, MS, AR, KS, SD, ND = 77 EV and a little over 39 million people). It’s ridiculous to act like those 39 million are worth more than the ones in CA (by 40%!) simply because they are divided into more buckets.

While true for a sizable portion of the GOP, it definitely isn’t all of them. The problem is that those who aren’t don’t care enough to think. They vote for their team and literally don’t think any more about it. They’d elect a slice of toast if it had an R next to the name. Which isn’t to say Democrats are much better, the DNC could nominate Pol Pot and he’d get 48% of the popular vote, while people marveled about our first Asian President.

Why are 40 million Americans not typical?

I’m tired of this bullshit chauvinism against urban dwellers and the coasts.

What I wrote was an oversimplification, but film certainly had solidified in California by about 1915.

Wait wait wait… is it too late to make this happen? Please?

As a guy living in the heart of California’s farming area I am supposed to hate the big cities and those damn elite coast dwellers.

I wish I had a house on the coast. :)

The California movie industry was booming with silents before sound came in, so yea, it was around by 1920.

You know it’s bad with Trump when I actually think Trump having his kids as advisors and then pardoning for the blatant corruption might still be better than Trump’s pure sycophants and crazy advisors, and I genuinely wonder sometimes if Trump isn’t senile or has some seriously emotional problem based on his behavior and without his kids he might lose it even more. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

Truer words may never have been written

Was it around 88%/90% of African Americans voted for Hillary. So if we removed all them and said Trump won the popular vote, how would that feel?

I mean neither is Texas. It’s just a stupid statement.

It’s like a child starting to learn math. “If I subtract all this, then the number is smaller.” Well, no kidding.

It’s also worth noting that California alone accounts for 13%of the entire US economy.

Maybe we should allocate electoral votes based on economic contribution?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/22/donald-trump-lost-most-of-the-american-economy-in-this-election/?utm_term=.d63d079fdab5

Final EC numbers (@Marshall_Cohen tweet):

Trump 304 (winner)
Clinton 227
Powell 3
Sanders 1
Kasich 1
Paul 1
Spotted Eagle 1

Hmm. Trump won’t be able to refute this one, because he’s not familiar with that word there in the middle.

So the electoral college failed to protect us. Now we’re down to the slim hope that this is all some sort of long con by the GOP, and that they will impeach Trump within the first 6 months of his Presidency and replace him with Pence and Ryan. Sadly, the GOP has spent the past decade whoring itself to the insanity that is the far right, so they will likely prove completely spineless when it comes to doing the right thing when threatened with the loss of the voting support of that segment.

Of course, the world likely won’t wait for us to sort our own shit out. I’m sure that, within 90 days of Trump being sworn in, something will happen here or abroad that challenges the new administration, and it’s response will be a complete and total disaster.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens day 1. China pushed back right away because it wanted Obama’s cool head between it and Trump in the first round, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hit him hard the day he’s sworn in. Full annexation/re-incorporation of Taiwan might be a step too far, especially if the proposed ambassador can get on the phone and promise to keep the One China policy, but more pushing the boundaries in the South China Sea can probably be expected. The faster they move, the harder it will be for him to do much and we’ve already seen that he’s willing to move the goalposts when he doesn’t have any better response (“China showing off in irrelevant SCS because we’re going to stop their cheating and unfair trade deals, folks. Sad!”).