So, I guess I'm on strike

Well writing specs is not prohibited - I’m sure we will see a flood of specs after the strike lifts, which is actually a good reason not to bother writing one. What you’re banned from doing is fulfilling contractual work for a struck company. Although many writers are being subtly pressured to (and will) continue to work under the radar, then hand in their work sometime shortly after the strike lifts.

The guild is trying to police this by requiring writers to submit the projects they’re working on in their current form so they can monitor if any work was done during the strike, but the studio has responded by sending letters to writers threatening legal action if they comply. I got two such letters yesterday. It’s already very ugly, and it’s only going to get worse.

Says the guy from a country that doesn’t have five weeks of yearly vacation time. :) Submit to your union overlords.

I’ve been asked to stand on a picket line so I’ll probably be in LA most of next week if anyone wants to hang out.

Which are you taking to the picket line, your DS or your PSP?

p.s.- Commiserations. Seriously.

I’ll probably take both but only use the DS, as usual.

A picket line full of writers? Will your guild hire any UAW members or something to actually have threatening looking people on the picket line?

By the way, Gary, you have my sympathy. It just pisses me off that these things happen, somehow for the “benefit” of the people who are hurt by it.

Teamsters are joining us, so yeah. Also SAG so we will have good-looking people, too.

Would the guild get mad if you wrote a bunch of out-takes from scripts that you were shopping around on your picket signs? Because that would be some great exposure.

Wait, who will be allowed to make the signs?

ROFL.

nice.

I’m writing one as quickie scab work.

Here’s a first draft:

“WE AM AGNRY”

That’s what happens when you hire outside the Guild.

Wait, so if 90% of the membership voted to authorize the strike, why is it a ill-thought move?

Honest question from complete ignorance.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If the problem is studios sucking up all the DVD and rental residuals for people who deserve it more (like the actual writers)… why is this a terrible thing if in the end you get a more fair piece of the pie (and the Warner Bros stockholders & their executive management get less)?

Here is your answer from a banner ad I just saw here at Qt3.

While living in Asia, I fell into writing with no writing experience. I made an honest income doing it. Since returning, I still only freelance for Asian editors. I sincerely believe you can too! My e-book offers valuable insights into this untapped market. Receive a world of knowledge for only US$7.95.

Because the pie is going to shrink and the loss in actual wages will not be made up for by increased residuals. What do you think the networks are going to do during the strike? Close up shop? If you thought there was too much reality TV before, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet (well, you’ve probably seen plenty, but prepare to see more).

Ever notice the cable channels are heavy on reality (Ultimate Fighter, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Miami Ink) and short on fiction? Like that.

I suspect it just sucks to sudden be unable to work on the assignments that you have lined up. Knowing that it may be for the greater good in the long run can be cold comfort.

We expect WhittaPhotos ™ of you holding the picket sign.

You can leave out the Whittagrin and Whittafinger pointing at the sign just this once.

NO! My WhittaPhotos™ must have WhittaFingers™ and WhittaGrins™! Otherwise they are not proper WhittaPhotos™!

Edit: Hey, Whitta, timing is just perfect for Novel Writing Month, no?

No.

OK, nevermind…

slinks away