So I just picked up Space Rangers 2

Is that the part where it says how much fuel you have vs how much you can carry?

Pretty sure, yeah. Hull capacity is the max storage, fuel is the current fuel level. They seem to always be the same in the shop because they sell full tanks.

Christ, yeah it is. I just figured that out and I feel pretty stupid.

It’s already been said, but it bears repeating: yes, you should absolutely buy SR2.

Elemental Games did a great job in creating the illusion that you are zipping around a living universe. Much of this has to do with Kieron’s point that the “game plays mean.” You are not the star, and your neighbors don’t sit around waiting to see what you’re going to do before they act.

And the variety in SR2 is insane, with the gameplay touching on almost every genre you could name. No, some of it isn’t very good (i.e. the FPS/RTS “planetary battles” are mediocre at best; the black hole fights are a love it or hate it proposition), but the turn-based fighting, text adventuring, loot collecting, ship configuring, stat enhancing, and trading elements are golden.

The learning curve is brutal as are the consequences of mistakes, but it makes your eventual climb up your chosen career path all the more rewarding. Buy it.

(Damn it, I think I just talked myself into buying SR2 again from Stardock so that I can get Reboot.)

WOW this game is heavy-duty. It’s like the definition of a PC game.

I just finished the tutorial (thanks for the rocket-launcher tip, guys!) and now I’m completely at a loss for what to do. I wanna be a pirate and demand stuff from other rangers, but I’m very, very lame and noobish at this point. After reading through the other stuff linked in this thread (OO tips guide has some great info in the second post, as well as some awesome newbie tips, repeated below) I’m feeling pretty good about starting out.

Thanks for all the help!

I liked it. I wrote a short preview for the next issue of PCG which I probably shouldn’t pre-empt, but it’s definitely a new HOMM except in a RPG-ish 3D world to explore.

While the idea of being a pirate in this game looks cool and dandy, it is one of the most difficult ‘roles’ to be in SR2, you should only try it after some hours of experience with the game and even then it will be hard.

I had forgotten how good this game is. Played for hours yesterday when I should have been doing something productive. :(

Productive?! You were perfecting your space privateering skills! Someday we’ll be up there, man - you want to be eating some mook’s space dust?

Get back to it!

Yay!!

I have a question: Why are the various system names in different colors on my Galaxy Map? Is that a difficulty scaling system?

I’m still a total noob and can’t really kill anyone quickly. I’m currently looking for some lazer thing to slow them down (no escape for you!), and when I’m not salvaging random stuff that’s lying around I’m trying to trade effectively. Sort of a slow early game, it appears. Addictive as hell though.

The colors in the system names represents who controls the systems, yellow for Gaalians, red for Maloks, etc.

Early on, beware the systems that are a pulsing red flare. These systems are currently under attack by Dominators. If you fly into them, most likely your newbie ship won’t have the range to fly back out, and you certainly can’t take them on by yourself, yet…so, game over.

I keep trying to like HOMM but everything else outside of the tactical battles is so thin that I quickly get bored of the game. Hopefully this will be what it needs to keep me interested beyond a few hours.

Oh and yes, SR2 is awesome. Curse my Starforce infected copy I picked up at Frys!

FUCK. I have to leave my house in 3 minutes. For the last 40 minutes I hopped through 5 systems to get to an outlaw who was ferrying human cargo full of bioweapons when I was chased by his angered buddies onto a planet and was just getting ready to save when I was arrested, thrown in jail, and discovered I CAN’T save until I go through 67 days of confinement! I turned it off, and now I have to DO IT ALL AGAIN.

FUCK.

Save your game before you’re thrown in jail!

ps. Or, as I’m sheepishly now realizing, minimize your game.

pps. FUCK.

Goddamn.

I wonder if I can buy these games internationally…

A man can only take so much positive second-hand impressions for so long.

Reboot removes the copy protection…

So I managed to pick this game up via Impulse (Yay! Brad) and am liking a lot of what I see. Was really starting to get into it when I found myself at the planetary mission training quest. And everytime I try to start this quest, I get a CTD. (Sigh)

Did anyone else encounter this problem? I’m playing it off Impulse and assumed that impulse downloaded the most recent patched version into my comp. Surfing the various sites has yielded no clues.

Thanks

Usual fixes for that problem were turning down the planetary resolution and or colour depth, both of which are configured separately from the space graphics.

Your list is a lot like mine. You aren’t alone.