So, I started replaying Fallout

Yes. I have. Repeatedly.

Fallout wasn’t perfect by any means, though like all things the longer it fades into the past the more it’s flaws are forgotten and successes remembered. After enough time goes by, games usually get remembered for their potential not their delivery. There are plenty of games I hold in high regard now that if I think carefully back to actually playing them I can usually recall moments of frustration and peeves about the system.

Of course this is the problem that leads to the massive disapointment when a game that in reality is equivalent in quality to the treasured memory of a game gone by fails to live up to the insurmountable expectations that the selective memory of the potential of the classic title has set.

Not to say that Fallout wasn’t the bomb, it was for all the reasons mentioned already.

Agreed. Both are terrible. If it wasn’t for the quality of the rest of the game, no one would even remember fallout today.

Yeah, that was my big beef with Fallout as well: I love a good turn-based combat game, but only when it’s party-based. Singler-player (or SP + NPC allies) turn-based combat just bores me silly. My other big beef is post-apocalyptic settings bore me: I liked Wasteland despite its setting, not because of it. So combine the two and I could never force myself through Fallout, despite its other qualities.

Why is it horrible? Is it because it’s turn based?

This was a completely unexpected response. Yes, N_L, only you and your codex loser friends are brilliant enough to appreciate turn based games. Us beige gamers get all confused and bored and then go off to play Halo and Madden.

If you hit one in the eye, it could just be a glancing blow and not deal that much damage.

Dude, the answer to that complaint is “It’s just a video game”. Not an argument of how it’s plausible that someone could shoot a rat in the eye and the rat would survive.

there are very few, if none, useless skills;

This is a lie.

I love Fallout 1 & 2. Having said that, the intro segment for the first is terrible, and the second’s isn’t much better (the town was okay, the mandatory temple trial sucked so badly). Just do your best to struggle past them… once you wander into a nearby town, the game should suddenly become much better.

One reason I don’t hate Fallout Tactics the way a lot of other F1&2 fans seem to is that its introductory battle is a damn sight more interesting. Navigate minefields, ambush people from two sides, snipe, sneak, etc. It’s all feasible. Maybe I’m wrong, but I clearly remember struggling doing anything in the intros of F1 & 2 besides firing/stabbing my weapons until everything around me was dead. Couldn’t sneak past everything, couldn’t target-shot anything… all you do is fight rats. Or maybe a couple of giant scorpions in the second - WHOA QUICK SOMEONE GET A CAMERA.

It’s the worst imaginable way to introduce either game IMO, because for my money the best thing about Fallout is how you can pick from a huge variety of character builds and have a feasible success of chance with pretty much every one (albeit with varying degrees of difficulty). Even worse is that both games have a number of situations you might be able to resolve through dialogue alone, no need for fighting. Yet in the intro of the first there’s no dialogue or environment interaction of any kind so you get no chance to see any of this in action, and outside of maybe one or two stupid side-quests I can’t remember, the same holds true in the second.

Gah! “Feasible success of chance?” I meant reasonable chance of success. I think.

Uh, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask if someone dislikes turn-based combat, Ben, particularly when we look at the complaints some people posted here.

I liked Fallout 1 and 2, but the further I got, I didn’t see all the choices you could do. Furthest point in Fallout 1, was a church I think where you have to fight mutants. I really hated the intros for both, so linear.
I did get a chance to see the leader of the mutants in Fallout 1, wow that was a bit unexpected.

About turn based combat, I like it , in small doses. I enjoyed silent storm and Fallout Tactics, but the whole watching your AP and hoping you get that hit in, started to get on my nerves after awhile.

In the second one you can talk your way past the last guy in the temple trial instead of fighting him, you also have to blow up a door with dynamite (I’m guessing this is what you mean by environment interaction?).

Damnit. I just reinstalled the game myself. I actually replayed F2 a while back, but the games are so similar, I guess F1 is still just as good. I’ll probably start playing this evening. Thanks a lot! BTW, is the 1.1 patch the only one I need?

Hmm. I really liked Fallout Tactics but cant stand Fallout 1 and 2. Maybe I should replay them. The Intros were great though. I wish they made a movie based on the story, cutscenes and how its told. Or just animated episodes in the same cartoon style, could probably be a video-podcast, once a week for 15 minutes or so, 3$.

That patch mentioned earlier for resolution, anyone know where I might find it?

TeamX released a 1.3 fan patch a week or two ago. I believe it resolves dialog and scripting errors. Probably not essential but you might as well.

I’m assuming you mean the first ‘level’ or five minutes of play when you say ‘intro’… I love the Fallouts, but I completely agree. The Temple of Trials in F2 was a really dumb way to begin a non-linear character-based RPG.

The cinematic intros, however, are awesome, and few games manage to capture so much mood in so little time compared.

Hold on… how many games feature a post-apocalyptic environment, or even anything that isn’t your standard tolkien-esque world ? That you don’t care for it is fair game, apples and oranges and all that, but to be bored of them when 90% of other rpg’s focus on your standard elves n’ orcs formula is … well, kind of sad.
I’m still waiting for RPG’s to pick a different theme. How about set in WW1? How about some lost tribes or civilizations in Africa/South America? on the moon? under the sea? There’s so much more to explore game-setting wise than the dwarf kingdom of blahblahblah hunting for the amulet of bloopbloop which gives you +4 barf.

How about some lost tribes or civilizations in Africa/South America? on the moon?

coughworldsofultimacough

Agree with your post wholeheartedly though. :)

Bioshock?

Mars Saga / Mines of Titan

Bruce

I really hated the intros for both, so linear.

Fallout 2 maybe, with the fag ass temple of trials but all FO1 had was the cave that took like a minute to get through and then the game was completely open to you. Even then, you could still sneak past the rats instead of killing them.

Furthest point in Fallout 1, was a church I think where you have to fight mutants.

You didn’t have to fight them. Just go straight up and talk to Morpheus, or sneak.

Couldn’t sneak past everything, couldn’t target-shot anything… all you do is fight rats.

Dude, even with sneak untagged you can get by them. And you can target shot anything in the game.

That patch mentioned earlier for resolution, anyone know where I might find it?

NMA or DaC.

This is a lie.

Name me one completely and utterly useless skill in FO1. Come on, I dare ya.

This was a completely unexpected response. Yes, N_L, only you and your codex loser friends are brilliant enough to appreciate turn based games. Us beige gamers get all confused and bored and then go off to play Halo and Madden

Some people don’t like the combat in fallout because it’s turn based and whatnot. I was insulting your intelligence or whatnot. Stop being so paranoid, ffs.