So I wanna get Sirius

I can’t stand the horrible David Lee Roth… oh my god… the pain. But I commute over 2 hours ever day, so I need to find the cheapest possible route to getting one, as I know I’ll catch hell for signing on to something with (yet) another monthly fee.

I noticed the other thread started a few days ago, I’ll check that link… meanwhile

Anyone have any suggestions??
as As This Ebay Auction Looks kinda sketchy

Tanks

I picked up a tuner from target for 60 bucks about 6 months ago. /shrug

I’d be willing to pay 100 for it I love it so much.

The main reason I wouldnt buy a used one is because you have to register that shit in your name yadda yadda and the seller could really fuck you on that. Buy a new one you can get a cheap ass one for your car like I bought.

EDIT : Also if you want it for Howard you’ll be very pleased as its everything I thought it could be and then some. I love it. Also I’d be willing to pay a lot more per month for what I get from Sat Radio.

Sat Radio > all.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7141791&productCategoryId=cat03103&type=product&id=1110264214702

29.99 on sale.

hm… tempting… yea one of the main reasons is howard on my ride in… would be nice to have something that I could take out of the car as well… hense why that portable unit was appealing. So I guess I have a bit more specific… would like something I could take in/out of the car.

You can with that one I linked that is 29.99.

that one looks like it’s 12V only. not much in the description about connecting it to home speakers…

You would need to buy the home kit for that they sell it in bestbuy.

So, the deal with pro sports is that XM has baseball and Sirius has football? I couldn’t care less about Howard Stern, but I’d consider it as a decent news/sports device.

Yea… I think Sirius has Hockey too… XM is just baseball. I wish it was all on one… would be nice to get baseball as well as football.

Well, for me, it’s not about just Stern… just the idea of all that music to select from seems rather apealing.

My tuner’s got a standard mini-RCA jack for audio out…couldn’t I just plug that into a pair of powered speakers?

I haven’t tried it yet, but my intention was to just get a power adapter and an extra antenna and set up a listening “station” in my home office (for walking the tuner from my car and back).

One quibble I’ve got with Sirius is the awful reception: Every time I go under a bridge, I feel like it’s 1977, and my dad can’t get a good signal on the AM station playing Shawn Cassidy’s version of “Da do run run”. Yes, I know that’s specific, but that’s just the way I feel.

My tuner’s got a standard mini-RCA jack for audio out…couldn’t I just plug that into a pair of powered speakers?

Yes you could.

One quibble I’ve got with Sirius is the awful reception: Every time I go under a bridge, I feel like it’s 1977, and my dad can’t get a good signal on the AM station playing Shawn Cassidy’s version of “Da do run run”. Yes, I know that’s specific, but that’s just the way I feel.

When I had XM it was the same way :(

Check out one of the XM XM2Go units - the XM Myfi, the Tao, or the Pioneer Airware. Each package includes the unit, which is completely portable, a car dock, home dock, 12V DC adapter, AC Adapter, car antenna, home antenna, belt clip, leather case, rechargeable battery, and headphones. You can find them online for < $150 depending on sales or rebates, and they’re worth every penny, IMO.

Also, each XM2Go unit can record 5 hours of radio, and can be programmed to record on certain channels at certain times of the day. With judicious use of this, you can make sure there’s something to listen to even in tunnels or other low-reception zones.

I LOVE my XM Airware. Listen to it for MLB, Opie and Anthony, and deeper playlists in general compared to Sirius (I loved my Sirius unit as well, and it’s definitely more hit-oriented, with a slightly shallower playlist, but I dropped my receiver, it broke and I used that as a sign to finally settle down with just one satellite radio provider).

I’m dragging this thread out of storage here because I am getting awfully tempted to get XM Radio, and just wondered if any forum-ees here were still into it and recommend it? It’s the Bob Dylan radio show that I think is putting me over the edge towards buying, but I’ve also been listening to a bunch of the regular channels on my PC at work here during my free trial period, and me likey.

So: XM Radio anyone? Yay? Nay?

The XMPR is my favorite channel with Bob Edwards and quite a bit of Michael Feldman. I’ve had XM for 2 years now or so and I couldn’t do without it.

How about recommendations for a player?

My deal is that I mostly listen at work, at my PC. Or at home in my home office (again on a PC.)

But I’d like to be able to hook it up to my home stereo.

Distant third would be the car stereo, since I’m on my motorcycle most of the time. When I’m in the car with the wife/kid for family stuff, I have to listen to their crap anyway. :)

Not to derail, put I’ve recently started listening almost exclusively to podcasts during my commute. Between Leo LaPorte and some of the better gaming podcasts (including Jeff’s excellent CGW.1UP), I’ve got more than I can listen to in any given week.

Thanks tmastern!

To answer my own question, I did more snooping around and discovered I can just subscribe to XM’s online radio, which I think will give me everything I need at just $8.00 a month. I might just go this way. And now I am talking to myself in an Internet forum. Yay! I’m pathetic!

Yeah, they have the online they also have cheaper kits you can have mounted or portable ones with recording.