So I want to be a hero

I’m looking for a good superhero game. I would like something that offers third person action like City of Heroes, but then offline. Also like the system they use with building powers, but not the ammount of time it takes to make progress. I’ve played the Freedom Force games, which are great btw, but those are more about controlling a group of heroes then slugging it out with hordes of villains.

Are the games based on the movies any good? Spidermen, X-men and such? Always a bit fearful of “movie-games”, most of the time they’re crap.

Any recommendations?

Get Hulk Ultimate Destruction

X-Men Legends II

Great game, especially now that I can run around yelling “I’m the Juggernaut, bitch!”

Erik J.

The legends games are decent but fall into that BG:Dark Alliance play model but with heroes. Hulk is a lot closer to CoH gameplay mechanics. It follows a GTA free roam model which is similiar in some ways to an offline MMO. Also, if you played a tank/scrapper in CoH you will love Hulk. Plus just running around is enjoyable, you get super jump, you can climb or run up the side of buildings. Combat is pretty good with a wide variety of moves and new moves can be purchased. Getting the moves isn’t prohibitively expensive either.

spider man the movie 2 was pretty good, I didn’t like ultimate spiderman though, they cut alot of the mechanics I liked from 2. Also don’t get spiderman2 on the pc, it’s a different game then the console.

Thanks for the suggestions! Going to check them out!

I’m limited to PC and DS though, although I’ve an X-box stored, might well dig it up if the Hulk game is that good. (Think that one is console only?)

More suggestions, especially for the PC are very welcome!

X-Men Legends 2 actually came out for the PC as well. Dunno if the port is up to par with the console version, but if it is, it’s definately worth checking out. Fun game.

I played it on PC, and it’s a good port aside from the utterly broken netcode (don’t expect to play online co-op.

You may like the freedom force games, except it’s more squad base slower combat then the other games listed.

You couldn’t do that before? Shit, I do it all the time. I did it like 5 times this morning at work.

Indeed he might!

although I’ve an X-box stored, might well dig it up if the Hulk game is that good

It is. Remember to get Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and not Hulk (the first game). Completely different.

Also, I’ve been playing X-Men Legends lately. My only gripe is the Danger Room setup sucks. You have to defeat an opponent 5 times in 1 minute. That’s the only vs. computer game mode. What? They went to all the trouble to put in AI and moves for all those heroes, and only one, really crappy scenario?

Does X-Men Legends 2 have a better Danger Room?

I was hoping this thread would be about the Quest for Glory games. Darn.

Strongly second (or third) the Freedom Force recommendation.

You’re controlling a squad of superheroes and can create your own as well to introduce into the campaign as you see fit.

If you liked X-Com and like superhero stuff, it’s your game

He’s played those already.

“Don’t you know who I AM? I’m the JUGGERNAUT!”

“I’m the Juggernaaaaauuuuut, biiiiiiiiiiiitch…”

Classic.

Personally I would say, if you’re gonna drag that Xbox out, make sure you get Spider-Man 2. It was the only Spidey game so far to really nail webslinging. I’ve spent hours just swinging all over the place. From what I hear, the subsequent games nerfed webslinging by comparison.

I’ve played the Freedom Force games, which are great btw, but those are more about controlling a group of heroes then slugging it out with hordes of villains.

RTFP

Is there any chance you would be happy being a guitar hero? Because if you would, I have a pretty great idea for a suggestion.

I confess I haven’t played it, but I’ve heard pretty good things about the Batman Begins game, at leaset if you’re into heroes. Apparently you’ve got a “reputation” level that determines how effective you are in overcoming your prey by scaring the crap out of them. A pretty neat, if not exactly original, concept.

I’ll also second X-Men Legends II and Spiderman 2.