So if I like A Tribe Called Quest what else will I like?

I don’t listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop but I stumbled on A Tribe Called Quest and have listened to The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders a lot. And I’ve surprised myself by how much I love it, though I’m not sure quite what I like about it. Their stuff seems relatively mellow, the lyrics are intelligent and obviously the duo are very talented rappers.

I also picked up Outkast’s Stankonia when Amazon had it on sale for $5. I had heard it was a great album and I figured it was worth a try. I almost immediately disliked it. It seemed too pretentious, the lyrics were more gritty/vulgar than I liked and I was annoyed by the skits or interludes between songs. Those were irritating the first time so I can’t imagine I’d get used to them.

So given this, what else would I like? I’ll pick up ATCQ’s first album eventually but are there other things I’d probably like as much?

De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

Try Blackalicious or Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star if you want something newer. De La Soul is good, but too…I don’t know, they sound dated - you can tell that album came out 20 years ago.

what about a few others from that era?

Brand Nubian
Gang Starr (especially Moment of Truth)

I also thought that the latest The Roots album was great, and was no where near as dark as their last few albums

Speakerboxxx / The Love Below is a better (particularly the latter), but still a bit vulgar so you might not like it.

I left my wallet in El Segundo.

Solillaquists of Sound

Not popular, but production values, singing and rapping are through the roof. Very harmonic and instrumental.

People who like hip-hop should be ashamed of not getting them more popular, seriously.

So, not overly profane, and less crunk / more laidback? These might work…

The Roots
Blackalicious
Lyrics Born
Panacea
De La Soul
Eric B & Rakim
Lauryn Hlil
The Fugees
Talib Kweli / Mos Def / Black Star
Cannibal Ox
Common
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
Little Brother
Foreign Exchange
Gangstarr
Black Sheep
Brand Nubian
GZA
Method Man
Killah Priest
older-school Outkast (if you can’t find it in yourself to like ATLiens and Aquemini, then I just don’t know anymore, for my money they’re far better than everything they’ve done since)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, The Roots will work because they’re just ridiculously good and probably right up your alley like no other hiphop act could hope to be.

For warning, maybe. Generally speaking it’s not close.

Stereo MCs - you may do better with their earlier stuff though!

surprised no one has said this yet, can’t say it loud enough
Jurassic 5!

Spearhead.

Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
Massive Attack - Blue Lines

As it turns out, I love this album, particularly the mellowish songs where they are rapping.

I also have an album by Blackalicious and I have Mos Def and Talib Kweli’s Black Star. I’ve heard of Jurassic 5 maybe from the soundtrack to one of the SSX games.

Digable Planets, pay close attention to the second album which has none of the “hits”

If you like his rapping on Blue Lines, you should check out Tricky’s solo work. His debut album, Maxinquaye, is amazing.

Oh man, this. Blowout Comb is a fantastic record, much better than Reachin’ (which is still very listenable).

If you like that, then you may want to check out Shabazz Palaces, which is a new project featuring a member of DigPlan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZKPaSF0GE

You’ll be hearing a lot more from this group as they were just signed to Sub Pop earlier this year

You must be kidding, it was only yesterday that I put the tape on my brand new Walkman, I listened to “Saturday” wondering if I could get a dance with Lucie that had such nice breasts for her age at the next party, and I was totally oblivious of the math paper for next monday…

Oh wait, yeah I was thirteen, that was twenty years ago.

Still, I listen to De La’s first three albums from time to time and they still sound fresh to me, but when it comes to hip hop I just lost track around 2000… I love old-school De La Soul, it’s quite light hearted and groovy…

I’ll add a thumbs up to Pete Rock… Lost & Found Hip Hop Underground Soul Classics is a nice collection.

There’s some more good finds in this article.