So, I'm building a new PC 2023

… and AMD GPUs have more memory :)

Are we helping?

You guys have all been awesome - Even @Misguided , although he can’t hear my right now, over all the silence ;-)

Anyways - I took all the suggestions and ideas from here, and talked to the shop, and we exchanged the motherboard (Which was too small), a corsair power supply, and the cabinet, along with the upgraded processor and went with that.

So - this is the final tally, so to speak

• Intel Core i5 13600K (13. Gen) / 3.5 GHz Processor - LGA1700
  • ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 OC 16GB GDDR6X - Grafikkort
  • Gigabyte H610M H DDR4 - bundkort - micro-ATX - LGA1700 sokkel - H610
  • Windows 11 Home - OEM Licens 1 PC (Multi sprog)
  • Team Group ZEUS &#45 32GB Ram: 2x16GB &#45 DDR4 &#45 3200MHz - DIMM 288-PIN - Ikke-ECC - CL16 (Bulk)
  • CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x &#45 strømforsyning &#45 850W
  • NZXT Kraken Z53 - processors flydende kølesystem
  • Kingston NV2 &#45 2TB - PCI Express 4.0 x4 (NVMe) - M.2 Card
  • ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4 - LGA1700
  • Cooler Master Silencio S600 - Sound-Dampened Steel - tower - ATX

Looks like you’ll be very happy with that :)

What was in your old system?

That looks awesome! Did you go DDR4 vs DDR5 because of cost? That’s the only thing I’d change there. You’re not leaving a ton of gaming performance on the table (DDR5 can boost 10-25% on computational workloads, but gaming perf differences are typically smaller). But if you keep this rig for a while and decide to bump to 64GB in three years when the next-gen consoles come out and game specs go up again, DDR4’s probably going to be much harder to find and more expensive than DDR5.

Corsair has 192GB kits now :) https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230221005062/en/Pushing-the-Boundaries-of-DDR5-–-CORSAIR®-Launches-New-48GB-96GB-and-192GB-Memory-Kits

When I built my PC last year, I went with DDR 4, even though I got a 13th gen Intel CPU. The difference in performance vs the price didn’t make sense to me. I figure 32gb of DDR4 will last me until I build a new pc in 2028+

So I’m building a new PC at some point in 2023 with a 7800X3D and either a 4070 Ti or, begrudgingly, a 4090. It’s primarily going to be used for sims and VR, possibly both at once in limited cases.

My biggest remaining unknown is how much I actually need to spend on an AM5 motherboard to be uncompromising. If I’m planning to have multiple (PCIe 4) M2 drives, do I need one of the fancier chipsets to avoid limiting the GPU, or are the additional PCIe 5 lanes on the pricier motherboards so much overkill that it’s purely academic? I want as many USB ports as I can manage, and the tradeoff at the lower price points is either the extra PCIe bandwidth or the extra I/O.

I get the sense the additional PCIe 5 overhead is a bit like peddling 128bit filesystems, but maybe someone knows better. I’d only be using 2-3 M2 drives.

@AustinArlitt, it really comes down to closely checking the motherboard specs. When I built my Core i9 primary rig, I found that PCIe lanes are as important as sheer number of M.2 slots if performance is a concern.

Even with the high-end Asus board I ended up, with its four PCIe 4 m.2 slots and one PCIe 5 slot, using the PCIe 5 slot drops the video card slot from x16 to x8. (Though that’s apparently unlikely to have a noticeable impact on 4000-series cards in PCIe 4 slots.)

But on the MSI Z790 ITX board I got for my SFF rig – same Z790 chipset as the Asus – two of the m.2 slots are PCIe 4 and the third one is PCIe 3/SATA.

Alas, like me, your use case (1) justifies a 4090, and (2) really takes advantage of SSD bandwidth because sims load 10,000 tiny files and stream data.

That said, while I’d make sure you have enough PCIe lanes that the m.2 slots all support PCIe 4.0 without nerfing any other components, I’m not sure I’d worry about PCIe 5.0 right now. The consumer SSDs haven’t shipped yet, the ones they’ve shown have ridiculous heat sinks, and I’d guess prices will be crazy for a while.

Thanks for asking - it was this:

• ASUS DUAL-RTX2070S-O8G-EVO &#45 NVIDIA RTX2070SUPER &#45 8GB GDDR6 - PCI Express 3.0 x16
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit Engelsk inkl. installation
  • CORSAIR Vengeance LPX &#45 32GB: 2x16GB &#45 DDR4 &#45 3000MHz - DIMM 288-PIN - CL16 - Bulk
  • CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x &#45 strømforsyning &#45 750W
  • Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Black
  • Noctua NH-D15 processor-køler
  • Intel Solid-State Drive 660p Series &#45 2TB - PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe)
  • ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS - bundkort - ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD X570
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X / 3.9 GHz Processor - AM4

So - quite the update!

Thanks! I do hope it is as well!

And yeah - The price was already way too high for my comfort, and I felt that adding even a little would make me regret spending that amount of money. On top of that, the RAM IS expensive! Quite a bit more than I’d have though.

I would guess I could, at that time, then upgrade to DDR5, or am I missing something here? :-)

The RAM slots are different between DDR4 and 5. So you’d have to replace the motherboard to upgrade the RAM to DDR5.

It’s still going to be a kickass system. :) And 32GB’s gonna be good for gaming for quite a while – by the time you feel the need for more, you can probably just swap in a new motherboard and 16th gen Intel CPU along with the DDR6 RAM!

Well, Im jumping on the DIY Gaming PC train this year as well. I set myself a $2000 budget and did some research, mostly through Tom’s Hardware. This is what I’ve come up with.

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5
Drive: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB SSD
PSU: Corsair RM750e
Cooler 240m: Corsair iCUE H100i PRO XT RGB, CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 OR Deep Cool LS520 High-Performance Liquid Cooler

I listed the three coolers because my first choice, the corsair is kind of difficult to get my hands on right now. Although if I want to wait a couple of weeks, I can get it from Amazon.

So any thoughts or suggestions?

edit: I wanted to add that using Microcenter and Amazon, I come in at just under $2k.

Not sure about specific brands but I think that’s right in the highish end sweet spot.

Your other option is AMD of course.

I considered AMD but the i5 was raved about at Tom’s Hardware and several other sites I checked. Its as good or better than some of the more expensive AMD chipsets right now.

It is. The AMD advantages are usually in power consumption and an MB which will support another CPU generation or two.

Yeah, the only way you’d match Intel’s 13600K on AMD for value is by locking yourself into the older AM4 platform with a 5800X3D. Granted, depending on your use cases, that may actually be better, and you certainly wouldn’t need to upgrade anytime soon, but you also really wouldn’t be able to, aside from GPU.

This looks good. With a i5-13600K I’d also consider a Noctua DH-15S air cooler; when my two-fan Corsair AIO pump died on my previous rig I replaced it with one of those and the cooling and noise were comparable, but it was cheaper and fewer moving parts to fail. The water cooler’s only going to be a real advantage on the i5 if you’re really pushing overclocks – and nowadays overclocking doesn’t typically buy you much real-world gaming performance.

I’d also consider the WD Black SN850X SSD over the Samsung 980 Pro. Read a ton of reviews and it’s usually neck-and-neck with the Hynix P41 as fastest gaming SSD. (Right now it’s much cheaper than the Hynix.) If you do get the Samsung, make sure you do the firmware update due to the recent issues. I’m rocking 3 SN850X drives across two systems and they’re great.

Just personal preference, I’d check out comparable ASUS and MSI boards in addition to the Gigabyte. I like their BIOS UIs better, and from anecdotal evidence on Qt3’s Gigabyte’s support can be underwhelming. (That said, I’m using a 10-year-old Gigabyte motherboard in my arcade machine setup, and it’s still solid.)

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the WD ssd last week and it was over $200. I checked again today and found it for $159. I was willing to go with the 980 because it was $40 less than the WD but at the same price, Ill just get the WD.

The value proposition for AMD is that you’ll be able to drop in a new processor generation for another 2-3 years, while this Intel motherboard/platform is end of line. Meteor Lake (Intel 14th gen) will have a different socket.

It looks like I have finalized my build and will be getting the parts tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good build guide? This will be my first build and Ill need some detailed guidance.
I settled on the Corsair 4000x for a case if that makes a difference.

Here’s a Linus Tech Tips video build guide from last year: