So is Prometheus worth seeing?

It looks pretty cool on the commercials, my friend recommended highly, it seems to be doing respectably on Rotten tomatoes and imdb and Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars and yet in the Batman thread everyone seemed to be panning it. So who should I believe?

It has some nice visuals. Aside from that, the criticisms are all valid.

Its quite interesting - If you are as cranky in reallife as many are here on the forums, I wouldnt go - If you enjoy the aliens movies you should go see it.

It does look pretty cool in the commercials!

IT IS FUCKING TERRIBLE

It’s one of the most visually pleasing movies I’ve seen in a while. The story is bag of hair dumb.

If you have any fondness for Alien, do not go see this movie.

It depends. Why do you watch movies? Do you go to be immersed and engaged by the story and characters? Or can you appreciate something purely on a craft level, and just sit there appreciating pretty pictures and dissecting narrative failures?

I think Prometheus is pretty much impeccable on a craft level, and I was never bored by it, but it’s also aggressively moronic from beginning to end.

It has some interest value on a rental or second run basis. You should have a high tolerance for stupid.

It’s really good as long as you don’t think about it. :)

I thought it was terrible. It had a stupidity that kind of stuck with me, leading me to spend time thinking about all the ways it didn’t make sense for a week or more. I wish I hadn’t seen it.

I enjoyed it to some extent while watching it, but after I left the theater I was left with the lingering sense that I shouldn’t have bothered wasting 2 hours on it. There are definitely worse ways to spend 2 hours of your time, but I’m sure I could have found something more fulfilling.

The more I think about it in retrospect, the more I pick apart the plot and everything else.

On the other hand, if you don’t watch the movie, you won’t be able to appreciate this How It Should Have Ended video:

Watching, sure. Paying for? No.

I had sort of the same experience. My overall experience was really positive, but there are definitely some dumb moments. I got increasingly frustrated after seeing the film with all the unanswered questions and the blatant lineup for a sequel.

Would I travel back in time to tell myself not to bother seeing it? No. As I said, I really did enjoy it in the theater.

I don’t understand why people go absolutely ballistic on this movie. I thought of it as a sci-fi short story - the background isn’t fleshed out, a lot of stuff is left to the imagination, and it’s more interested in exploring a neat idea than providing a watertight narrative. The visuals are awesome and I liked that it emulated the pacing and tone of older sci-fi movies. Fassbender is amazing in it.

Do not see it if you think an alien growing from the size of fish to the size of a hippo with no apparent food source is going to ruin your enjoyment of the movie, just as an example.

It’s also the only movie I’ve seen in 3-D that didn’t leave me with a bad case of eyestrain.

There is a range from unbelieveable bullshit to watertight script. Unfortunately, Prometheus feels a lot closer to the former and not the latter. I don’t need hard science in my sci-fi blockbusters, but I do need people to act like, you know, actual people. Prometheus was full of people doing completely nonsensical things.

Edit: Note that I didn’t say “irrational.” I’m fine with irrational behavior in characters, especially if they’re supposed to be frightened or in a heightened state of emotion. For example, a lot of people take issue with the geologist getting lost. I’m fine with it because he was supposed to be panicky. What I do have a problem with is his staying lost even after he’s calmed down, and no one on the ship helping him even with full access to a 3D map. There’s a ton of this stuff in the movie. Just inexplicable.

Prometheus has the pro of being astonishingly gorgeous and the con of being mind-crushingly stupid. For me, the stupidity overwhelmed the beauty. I would never recommend it. Re-watch Sunshine.

This is absolutely true. The crew’s reaction to an escalating series of fatal incidents is literally unbelievable. There’s no attempt to organize defenses, to escape, or to prepare for what’s certain to come next. Instead, everyone just wanders about aimlessly. Sure, there are villains in the crew, and that’s fine. They should be subverting everyone else’s plans–but there aren’t any.

Yeah, at least only the last third of Sunshine is mind-crushingly stupid.

Listen. Here’s what you need to know.

1)The character who is in control of the machines that creates a map gets lost.
2)He gets lost despite being in constant aural, video, and sensor contact with everyone else.
3)When he reports that he is lost and has found some disturbing stuff to the captain, the captain ignores him and leaves his station.

I guess I could replace all those with:

1)The expedition cost a trillion dollars, and presumably everyone is the best in their field. They all act like clowns.

GOD, Prometheus is the worst.

I definitely understand complaints about the last third of Sunshine. But it is leagues, miles, galaxies beyond anything in Prometheus.

Jesus also sets fire to a bus everytime someone watches Prometheus.