So, is the 3DS a dead platform?

Awesome, that helps, thanks for taking the time to put that together!

I think some of those might be available in various bundles or other ways. I know there’s a Mighty Switch Force collection on the Switch (which I highly recommend, I loooove Mighty Switch Force).

I think there’s also cartridges of Ultimate NES Remix, but maybe there are multiple different versions?

I have a copy of Project Steam sitting around, and I should probably download the updates for that in case I ever want to play it even a little, since that’s apparently kind of unplayable pre-patches.

In what sense is the Ace Attorney trilogy exclusive? It’s on multiple other platforms. There are some games in the series that are more limited, mind. just not those three.

Pretty sure those are all on iOS.

Thanks for noting that about Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. I have that also and never played it so should get the updates.

I highly recommend every 3D classic, especially if you have a New 3DS XL. They are all great games (except Urban Champion…) and look amazing with the 3D effect. I play OutRun on my Switch often, but still go back to that 3DS version because the 3D is so freaking cool.

The entire list of 3D Classics is here…

Also, the G-Rev shooter Kokuga is another superb use of 3D in a really great game that’s a ton of fun to play with a decent challenge. Highly recommended.

Thanks for pointing this out! Yes, there is a Mighty Switch Force collection on the Switch, and Ultimate NES Remix does have a retail cartridge.

That’s true, I kind of included Ace Attorney Trilogy just for completeness. But I think at least the third one uses some of the touchscreen functionality, and of course you can’t beat holding down Y and yelling “OBJECTION!” into the microphone to object. But I believe the last three games are exclusive to the DS/3DS for consoles. (They are also on iOS, but I don’t count that.)

Oh, and the last two games have DLC on the 3DS, so if you’re obsessive like me, make sure to log on and buy any DLC that you want before the eShop closes.

Thanks for the full list! Yeah, I didn’t include them all, but some of the 3D Classics have special modes that make them kind of unique. Besides the 3D effect, Kid Icarus has improved gameplay that makes it more accessible, and I believe Shinobi III has an additional game mode not available anywhere else.

There are a number of games that are really special with 3D on if you have a New 3DS XL. If people are still playing on a regular 3DS or a 2DS, I do also highly recommend upgrading to a “New” platform because the eye tracking 3D is superb. It makes stuff like Ridge Racer 3D, which I thought was great without it, into something phenomenal. There are plenty more like that too.

Also, if people do get into the 3D Classics, the Sega package…

…is absolutely worth owning. A physical cart exists for that one as well.

I vaguely remember one of those Ace Attorney games being 3DS exclusive (or maybe having 3DS-exclusive content?).

I distinctly recall loving the simple-but-effective use of 3d for VVVVVV on 3DS, might be another one to add onto the list if it’s not available with a 3d mode elsewhere.

Thanks! I left it off the list because it’s so widely available elsewhere, but I will definitely get it just for the 3D.

Are there any plans to port those later Phoenix Wright titles? I’ve been working through the original trilogy with my partner, who hadn’t played any of them before, and I think we’ll probably keep going… but the Switch is a helluva lot easier to play together on the TV than a tiny 3DS.

With the latest Switch announcement, you can remove the GBC and GBA games off that list. So for Zelda games we’re losing, that leaves two GameCube games, two DS games, and a 3DS game.

Now if they start supporting DS games on the Switch, we’re getting somewhere!

That sounds like a natural thing to do, I’d reckon.

The problem is, you can’t really play games on the TV and have a touchscreen in your hand. The Wii U could do it because the touchscreen and the TV screen show two different things. The only way I see it working is with an accessory that turns the Switch sideways so you can use the bottom as a touchscreen, a la the Flip Grip.

Holy crap, that’s a brilliant idea (especially since I have a FlipGrip). From your mouth to Nintendo’s ears!

I’ve been playing Pocket Card Jockey. I’m not sure if the Apple version is as good with just a single screen, but either way I think if you have a 3DS, this is a game you should own. It’s got a great sense of humor and is just a lot of fun to play!

Capcom is having a nice (last) sale on 3DS games.

Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright games at at a super low $2.99!

(Also, Monster Hunter Generations for Switch at $11.99)

I was going to complain about all those Phoenix Wright games that I already bought that are now $2.99, but I paid $4.99 so I guess that’s not bad!

Also, if you have either of the Professor Layton games (Miracle Mask or Azran Legacy), make sure to start a new game before the eShop closes! Once you get far enough to save the game, quit and go back to the main menu. Then you can go to the Extras menu and download all the free DLC puzzles! They originally unlocked one per day for a year, but now you can go in and get all 365 DLC puzzle immediately!

Is there any real way to buy things if you didn’t have an active account? I booted up my 3DS for the first time in a decade, made an eshop account, and found out they stopped letting people add funds to their accounts sometime last year. I gave up at that point, but maybe someone knows something I don’t.

I think mine works because I had a Nintendo Network ID for my 3ds that I then linked with my Nintendo account. I realise I might as well be speaking another language, but if you don’t have a Nintendo Network ID, then I’m not sure how.

So you’ll need that, plus a Nintendo account. From the Nintendo account, you can link to a Nintendo Network ID.