So, is the 3DS a dead platform?

According to this you can still buy 3ds stuff through the web store, and you can add funds there. But even that will go away on March 27th.

Ah, I missed the step to link the old 3DS Nintendo ID account to my modern Nintendo account from the Switch era. I think that should get me in the door!

I hope so!

I did a quick test when I saw your post and I was able to add funds to my account via the Nintendo account and then see them in the 3DS eshop after. The funds are mutually shared between the 3DS and the Switch.

I tested on my son’s 3DS and confirmed that yes, you can add funds to your Nintendo Network ID, as long as you’ve merged it with your Nintendo account on the 3DS. You don’t actually need a Switch to add funds.

And just a reminder that we’re about a week away from the 3DS store closing for good. There are a bunch of sales on 3DS games right now, including Capcom’s 90% off sale. So if you want to get all the 3DS Ace Attorney games for $2.99 instead of $29.99, now is the time!

Yeah, I can confirm that I was able to buy them via my regular Nintendo account and have them downloaded on my 3DS. Apparently there’s also DLC for the Phoenix Wright games, which I still need to grab.

Oh could you link that DLC please?

I believe you have to get the DLC via the 3DS itself, either in the eshop or the game itself. It’s even more hassle than getting things set up to buy the games in the first place.

Ugh, thank you.

Yep, both Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice have DLC. I believe you need to start the game, get to the first save point, and then you can bring up the DLC menu. Each game has a special episode for 5.99, plus a separate costume bundle. Spirit of Justice also has two new “asinine attorney” missions for 3.99 each.

One more odd detail about the 3DS eShop closure: The game Fragrant Story was the very last 3DS game released, getting physical and eShop versions in 2022. It was panned at the time for only having three levels, but it’s getting DLC…AFTER the eShop closes!

Apparently there’s a free 1.2 update coming out which adds about 40x more content, and the game’s creator says it will come out after the eShop closes but will still be downloadable. I’m kind of curious about how this works, but I’m not sure if I’ll bother picking it up.

Well for $2 I too am curious about this.

I’m going to see if I can grab pocket jockey. And maybe some ace Attorney games.

Pocket Jockey is on the iPhone too, maybe just on Apple Arcade? But yeah, it’s the game I would recommend the most on the 3DS.

Can you buy games without having to download them? My storage is full. I think I can just delete games from my card and still re-download later right?

As of right now, yes you can delete games off of your card to make space for newer games, and you can still download past games that you have purchased.

Nintendo has said that you will still be able to download purchased games “for an unspecific period of time”, but the DSi shop closed almost six years ago now (March 31, 2017) and those games are still available for download, so you should be safe for quite a while.

Just played into the Radiant Historia demo. Seems nice. I was hoping there would be a kind of farewell sale, but no such luck. In Germany there is not even the Capcom sale.

That’s really unfortunate. The eShop is going away anyway, so you’d think they would want to get as many sales as they can. I hope you get a few good titles at least!

The store closes on Monday.

I hope all the Nintendo first part exclusives at least make their way to Nintendo Online on the Switch or Switch successor eventually.

And the DLC. I managed to get the Ace Attorney games, but since I am unable to load funds to the 3DS account itself, I can’t seem to buy the DLC from within the game. It’s just as well. We may tire of them before we ever reach that point.

You can create a Nintendo Network ID (NNID) and link it to your Nintendo Account. Then when you add funds to the NNID, they will be available on the Nintendo Account on your Switch.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27841/~/how-to-link-a-nintendo-network-id-to-a-nintendo-account