So, is the 3DS a dead platform?

I picked up the Mario Kart 3ds XL bundle last night from Best Buy and received a $20 gift card. I mostly want to play Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey 4 on it, but also my original DS Lite is showing its age.

I like my 3DS, although there isn’t really enough compelling software available. Just ordered paper mario, as I really enjoy that series.

Next game I’m looking forward to is Fire Emblem.

The 3DS, and DS before it, has become my bedroom system.

Well, BestBuy’s deal for the 3DS XL bundle with Mario Kart 7 for only $160 was enough for me to jump on board.

Now to figure out what games to get:

• Monster Hunters
  • Fire Emblem
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokemon White/Black 2
  • Animal Crossing
  • ???

I thought it was charting favorably compared to the DS at the same point of it’s lifecycle. Now the vita on the other hand…

True, but we’re at the point in the lifecycle when the DS took off, while now the 3DS is faltering.

I really wanted to like Paper Mario 3DS. The graphics are nice and the writing is excellent but I really didn’t like having an economy based on attacks.

What kills the platform for me are the incredible high prices for games. 35-40€ per game is simply too much for me. It was already a problem on the DS which I have, but there you could wait until games got cheaper. For the 3DS no such luck.

A recent Nintendo platform with only token software support after the release craze wears off? I AM SO SURPRISED!

Yea, it’s a dead platform.

This makes me happy, as a non-owner of it. That means Nintendo’s efforts will definitely be focused on the Switch moving forward. Though I just found out yesterday when reading a Mario 3D all stars review that there was a version of Mario 64 on the DS where you could play as Luigi. And that the Switch version doesn’t have that. (Neither does the version I rebought for the Wii).

The 3DS was such a great platform. Combined with the fact that it also played DS games, it was damn near perfect. So many gems I still play with it. I hope mine doesn’t die anytime soon.

Man, the DS Mario 64 was great except for the fact that you had to play it on a DS :)

The 3DS XL is possibly the greatest system of all time for me for that reason (3DS + DS library = so many great games, especially JRPGs).

I still play mine a lot. Less now since I got a Switch Lite and also spend some time with the Vita (another great JRPG system, considering the PSP backward compatibility and so many classic PSOne games).

I love the Switch Lite, but it’s a shame the 2 screen format will die. What I would give for a 3DS with the power/resolution of the Switch.

Or should I say 2DS? I never really used the 3D functionality, though testing it out, it did work really well on some games.

End of an era with Nintendo no longer having a dedicated handheld.

Nah, DS was better than 3DS, for its time. That battery life was unbeatable, and while the 3DS ended up with a lot of good games, the DS library is insane.

Does the 3DS/DS use special batteries or AA? I have some old audio electronics and some are permanently retired due to using proprietary batteries, while others continue to function.

It uses these.

Out of stock already. I suppose you could just keep them plugged in.

:(

I’m pretty sure the battery should last for a long time. I have a GBA from 2003 that I turn on from time to time, and it still holds the same charge from whenever that last time I charged it. My DSi XL is the same.

I’m going to miss the 3DS being in production just because it will mean the end of life for a lot of games. Without a compatible dual-screen device, I don’t see how Nintendo will ever port those games to other systems. Good think I picked up a New 3DS XL before they stopped production!

I find it funny that I started this thread so long ago… and here I am now with 2 separate 3DSs.

Now I just have to remember to visit the eShop before it closes. The thing I will miss most is the street pass :(

I love my 2DS XL. Played Ocarina and Majora’s Mask many times on it. Xenoblade Chronicles, Professor Layton. Just such a great library if they never made another title for it I don’t think I would ever run out of things to play.