So, is the 3DS a dead platform?

Kind of impossible to do with DS/3DS games always using 2 screens.

So after folks here gushed about it, I decided to give Pocket Card Jockey a try.

Holy crap that’s amazing.

Pocket Card Jockey will probably be my last purchase on 3DS. I’ve been meaning to play that since it came out.

Damn, 3DS games are stupid expensive.
Just loaded another $200 onto my account - still not sure if that will be enough.

Damn, amazing. I wonder if this sort of thing, if it happens enough, will convince Nintendo to reverse their decision.

That is a nice thought, but judging Nintendo by its history, I doubt anything will cause them to reconsider.

Boooooo.

This is the same Nintendo who virtually never offers any meaningful discount on their games. Keeping the eshop open costs money. They’ll want it closed.

To frame in a more positive light though, I do hope that this is a nice reset for Nintendo so that they can develop a more unified experience from here on out. The switch is that nice amalgamation of handheld and console. No longer do they have to deal with different platforms. If they can have a Switch platform, and gradually maintain continued reverse compatibility down the line of whatever supersedes the Switch, it would be happy days for both consumer and Nintendo alike. Though admittedly, they might stand to lose money if they can’t re-release old games, maybe. Eg: I just bought Radiant Historia for 3DS which is a re-release of the DS game that I also own. But improved graphics, better story traversal make me think I’d prefer the 3DS version more? At least now I can compare and contrast. Heck, even have one game in the catridge slot and play the eshop version on a whim.

Also, I really should have posted games I’d recommend for this platform, but there’s some I’m dicey on. Eg: Would I recommend Fire Emblem: Awakening, which to me was the best game on the system even though it has a character (Nowi) who is a young sexualised girl, but hey, it’s cool, she’s really 1000’s of years old.

The same can be said for Stella Glow. It’s another SRPG game, it has a bit of that questionable young girl vibe to it, but gameplay I found excellent. Story was a little cringey at times, but also had a twist or two I didn’t see coming.

Fantasy Life - oh boy. It took a bit for me to get in the groove with that game, but it was wholesome fun. That’s certainly a game that deserves to be ported later on.

Rune Factory 4 you can get on switch (and on Steam).

The Dragon Quest Games (VII and VIII) - well I made it maybe half way through DQ VII before I got distracted, and I think I need to restart. But it’s a huge game, well worth trying out.

With regards to the other Fire Emblem games on the system - I played around with Fire Emblem Fates. Future me has it so I’ve got all three paths now available (birth right, conquests and revelation - need to get 2 of the three as DLC depending on version owned). Biggest drawback with that game was the sheer number of characters thrown at the player. Big, big list List of characters in Fire Emblem Fates | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom

As for the third Fire Emblem game (Conquests of Valentia), I haven’t played it much, beyond just now getting the DLC for it, so I don’t know.

I’d recommend against Xenoblade Chronicles for 3DS and get it on the Switch instead.

Tragedy! I’ve been testing some of my old cartridges to make sure they still work. Turns out 2 of my Pokemon games have suffered the fate that many of the same have previously and just don’t work anymore. The solution might be to resolder the chip, but I don’t have the skills for that. Alas.

Small, contained game. Slightly odd mechanics. Well executed. I liked it.

Sounds just right for me then. I’ll give it go probably after I finish Professor Layton v Phoenix Wright.

Y’all were right about the battery replacement. Once I ordered the right screwdriver (the eyeglasses screwdriver I had was too big, hilariously), back panel popped off pretty easily, and replacing the battery was super simple. It’s charging right now, so yay!

I’m so glad I decided to check my cartridge library before the shop closed down. Turns out my Pokemon Omega Ruby cartridge and my Pokemon X cartridge are both dead. So PSA for anyone running European/Australian cartridges, check your Pokemon cartridges. The problem is prevalent with those games (ie: AS/OR and X/Y).

Ended up getting Persona Q1 and 2. The second looks really cool.

Well, I’ve bought a bunch of games now… Probably didn’t need to get so many XD
Now I need to go through the tedious task of making sure I have any relevant DLC :(

I don’t even want to share how much money I put into the Wii eShop before it closed down. It was a lot.

I bought a few things (on the Wii eshop), which I do regret now, since those old N64 games, playing them with a gamecube controller just felt terrible to me. I always hated the feel of that Gamecube controller. It’s the only controller by Nintendo besides the Wiimote that I really disliked. Now using a Pro Controller on the Switch with those same old games is so much better.

I just rebought some on my wiiu (discounted)… the wii store hasnt worked in months

So if I wanted to buy something on the 3DS shop right now, I’d have to fill my wallet on the Switch?

You can do it via browser too. Your 3DS eShop will tell you a link to go to if you want to use credit card. However, sadly, my own credit card is being rejected these days (it allowed two transactions, then stopped).

The options I have to top up include credit card, PayPal and giftcard. After today/tomorrow I think, only the last option will be available.

Today is the last day to add funds within the stores via Credit Card.