So, San Francisco

I’ve got a wonderful job opportunity & I’m moving to San Francisco from Dallas. I’ve lived in European ‘big cities’ before, and Dallas is pretty damn far from being a “big city” - it’s a series of suburbs - but that’s by the by.

I know there’s a bunch of people from the Bay on here, and I wondered if you’ve got any hints/tips on finding somewhere to live in the city (apart from Craigslist) and general living tips…

I’ve only visited, but here’s my tip: Get the beef brisket at Memphis Minnie’s, on Haight St. Revelatory.

H.

I assume you already know this but places in the city are very very expensive. What part of the city are you working in?

I really love SF and its possibly my favorite city in the US.

Why apart from Craigslist?

Honestly there’s very few things in my life that haven’t come from Craigslist at this point. Lean on Craigslist.

As for living, the best advice I can give you is find a starter place, and figure that no matter where you move you’re going to figure out which neighborhood you really want to live in some time during the first year.

There’s lots of reasons for that, not the least of which you may discover what it is you think you wanted is going to be totally different from what you really wanted. And then again, it may not be, and you’ll just have a better idea of where you’re going to find that.

Why apart from Craigslist?

Oh I’ve no bias against Craigslist, just I already know about it :) Wondered if there were any other good resources out there.

And thanks for the advice on the starter place - pretty much what I figured. My wife wants to go back to school too, so I figure when/if that happens, our priorities on where we live in the city will change too.

What part of the city are you working in?

Presidio.

Are you dead set on living in the city?

There are actually some nice townhouses in the Presidio itself that I looked at renting a couple of years ago. They weren’t too expensive either. They’re a little “off the beaten path” when compared to the rest of the city, but they were spacious and modern.

Pretty much set on living in the city.

There are actually some nice townhouses in the Presidio itself that I looked at renting a couple of years ago. They weren’t too expensive either. They’re a little “off the beaten path” when compared to the rest of the city, but they were spacious and modern.

Yeah, seen them listed on craigslist. Just how practical would they be though? How easy access do they have to a decent bus line?

The parking sucks, but SF is my favorite city in the world (of the two dozen or so I’ve been to). The new developments in the Presidio are beautiful. If you can afford them, go for it. The only real downside for me would be that it’s a bit of a drive to get out of the city any direction but north, but it’s a small price to pay for such a nice living area.

When you get a chance, head down to the House of Nanking on Kearny (just south of Columbus) for some of the best Chinese food in the world. Also head on down to Benders on South Van Ness for drinks TechTV style.

Well, that’s the issue. You could end up stranded if you don’t have a car, and that isn’t always the most convenient way to get around the city. But a good scooter would do you well, as long as you keep an eye out for the light rail.

Zeroing out your commute is nothing to sneeze at.

So, the Presidio, eh? Lucas calls you hither!

I lived in SF for a few years, and I can say that you really don’t need a car to exist happily there. Even in the Presidio. While it’s certainly a tad removed from the mainstream, you can really walk to bus stops, and Muni is fairly reliable, though the drivers and passengers are typically mentally disturbed.

Keep in mind that if you live in the Presidio, you’re not under the juristiction of the fairly relaxed SF PD. The Presidio is under the juristiction of the park police, AKA the Feds, AKA the Federales, AKA The Man. This can be a bitch if yer caught with illegal substances, get a parking ticket, or are caught speeding.

I’d recommend looking in the Sunset district. Quiet, cheap(er), and not too far from the Presidio. Also, easy access to the ocean.

As for places you should know about: Haight+Filmore = lots of bars. Haight+Ashbury = lots of hippies and drugs if you’re into that sort of thing. Market+3rd = heart of the city. Market+Castro = crotch and anus of the city. This last one is not to be confused with 6th+Market which = the stinking, feces encrusted anus of the city. If there were ever a town in the world that had two anuses (anii?), it is San Francisco.

Also, great flea market Sunday mornings where 101 meets 280 near the Army exit.When you arrive, we should have some sort of QT3 Bay Area get together!

Edit
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to comment on Craigslist: In SF, it’s a heckofa lot different than elsewhere. You may have noticed this by now, but Craigslist is HUGE out here, and cannot even be compared to Craigslist elsewhere. It’s easily twice the size of the next largest Craigslist.

Cold and foggy, depressing, and far away from the action. It’s a good half hour to 45 minutes to get into the “City” part of the city from the sunset.

If I was looking to live in the city and work in the presidio there’s some great neighborhoods to choose from around there, but there all pretty yuppie.

I’ll tell you what I tell all my friends, if you’re going to live in the Sunset live in the East Bay. Although the Richmond, while still foggy, is a little more lively, and much closer to your work.

I promise you, you’ll be happier.

As for places you should know about: Haight+Filmore = lots of bars. Haight+Ashbury = lots of hippies and drugs if you’re into that sort of thing. Market+3rd = heart of the city. Market+Castro = crotch and anus of the city. This last one is not to be confused with 6th+Market which = the stinking, feces encrusted anus of the city. If there were ever a town in the world that had two anuses (anii?), it is San Francisco.

Dude. Seriously. Gay jokes?

I live in the Presidio, it’s great. Call Presidio Residences at 415-379-6840 and see what they have open for rent right now.

Whenever I tell you people I live in the Presidio they always say “wow, you can live there?” like it’s some weird secret. And in a way it kind of is the biggest open secret in the city.

The only problem with the Presidio is getting around. There is a free shuttle called the PresidiGo, but it’s not that great. If you live close to one of the park exits it’s just a short walk to the “actual” city and buses, but if you live closer in, you can be a bit stranded without a car. You are essentially living in the middle of a big forest.

There are usually plenty of shared accomodation posts for the Presidio on Craigslist too.

Craig is your friend, he can even hook you up with chicks.

My ex- lives in the heights near Lafayette Park. A tad priceybut it is only a couple blocks from Van Ness, Pine, and Fillmore streets. Lots of nice parks, plenty of places to eat or get coffee, and a one-line bus trip to downtown, the wharf, the financial district, market st, chinatown, castro, etc. Very centralized.

Lots of hills and no parking though. Walking = ugh.

Dude. Seriously. Gay jokes?[/quote]

Not sure what his problem with Market & Castro is, but he isn’t kidding about 6th & Market. Coin flip between there and Telegraph Hill for the title of Worst Part Of San Francisco.

I left my heart in San Francisco. :cry:

Yeah, I think that was on Craigslist too.

Dude. Seriously. Gay jokes?[/quote]

Not sure what his problem with Market & Castro is, but he isn’t kidding about 6th & Market. Coin flip between there and Telegraph Hill for the title of Worst Part Of San Francisco.[/quote]

Hey now, I intended no slander towards the Castro. The Anus can be a place of fun too!

And 6th+Market also = Tu Lan, the BEST Vietnamese food in the city. Julia Child ate there, amidst the pimps and the pushers. She’s actually on the menu. I have this image in my mind of her saying “No, thank you, i don’t believe I need any fly ho’s, sir.”

Er… yikes?

:shock:

So, the Presidio, eh? Lucas calls you hither!

;)

I live in the Presidio, it’s great.

What do you think of the Baker Beach/Street area? There seems to be a number of vacancies in that area & it’s fairly close to Richmond. Getting around would be our biggest concern if living there - when my wife moves out, she’ll be bringing her car, but I’m going to be relying on public transport & my own two feet for the most part. It’s certainly a location we’ve been considering - I try to have the shortest commute I can, generally.

Coming from the Metroplex where pretty much everyone rents in structured apartment complexes, the randomness & freeform nature of the SF rental setup is quite a shock. And this is just from looking on Craiglist & talking to friends, we’ve still to get out there & start looking this weekend.

When you arrive, we should have some sort of QT3 Bay Area get together!

I get there this weekend, but I’m pretty much busy until Christmas. Maybe early January after the holiday period? I’d love to meet up & get drunk with some QT3ers out there.