So, San Francisco

Market+Castro = crotch and anus of the city

I used to live just up from Market and Valencia, on Pearl Street, which put me pretty close to that there anus, and I really liked the neighborhood. Walking distance to the gay bar scene, which can be a lot of fun, a short bus hop/longer walk to most of the good live music venues and the non-gay bars and, despite the encampment of crazy homeless guys beneath the freeway overpass, a great sense of community.

Oh course, you could have meant “crotch and anus” as in centers of pleasure or somesuch, which much closer to how I viewed that particular neck of the woods, despite being a poorly dressed straight bloke.

The Baker Beach area is nice, you’re right on the ocean, easy access to the city proper, and the apartments there are a little smaller and more affordable than the larger houses that make up much of the Presidio. If you’re working for Lucas though, the new Letterman complex is on the other side of the park, definitely not walkable. You’d want to look into the bus routes and free shuttles (of which I know nothing because I drive.)

http://www.presidio.gov/Visiting/Directions/PresidiGo/

I used to live in Noe Valley, which was pretty nice – quiet, good views, cute little downtown area. I think it’s too far from the Presidio to be convenient for you, though.

So, San Francisco f’ing rocks. Been here a little under a week so far & loving it. Trekked all over the city at the weekend while my wife was in town, so far the picks for areas to live in are Noe Valley/Castro/Mission, that part of town. Doesn’t look too bad on the bus to get to the Presidio from there.

Should have moved here years ago.

If you miss socializing with rednecks just remember that Sacramento is only a few hours away.