So the new "Creator's Update" made all my games unplayable - any ideas?

My Windows 10 64bit updated few days back with the latest service pack, Creator’s Update as they call it. Since then, any game that I play on my TV in fullscreen displays at 24hz (and thus 24fps). My PC has Founder GTX1070 and is connected to 24" LCD (this displays correctly) via DVI, and to 55" Panasonic plasma TV via HDMI (the bug only displays on the TV).
If I switch into borderless windowed, I get standard 60hz/fps. But fullscreen - 24hz. Tested Witcher 3, Homefront Revolution, Dishonored 2 and Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. Tested both the latest Geforce WHQL driver, and the new Hotfix driver.
However, Wolfenstein Old Blood does not exhibit this issue. It runs fullscreen at 60hz, which leads me to believe the issue affects DirectX games only (Wolfenstein runs on OpenGL, as far as I know).
Obviously this is a pretty terrible issue since it makes any DirectX game unplayable in fullscreen. Fortunately modern games often offer borderless windowed option, but that is only a band-aid. For example, without true fullscreen, I cannot use DSR (which was the reason I bought GTX1070 in the first place!).
Has anyone encountered this issue ?

Before the Creator’s update, all games displayed perfectly in 60hz fullscreen.

Haven’t installed yet, but I think there’s supposed to be a game mode in windows now. You may need to enable it somehow. That would make sense with it only affecting dx games.

Did reinstalling latest nvidia drivers help at all?

Not at all. Fully uninstalled and used hotfix and everything.

However a kind soul on reddit gave me a solution. Workaround, but one that solves it for me.

Via CRU utility:

1. Download Custom Resolution Utility
  2. Run it and delete all mentions of 24/30/50hz modes in your monitor’s EDID, such that the minimum frequency is 59.94/60hz
  3. Apply the settings and run “restart64.exe”

This works and my fullscreen games are running at 60hz and 60fps again. And since I never used lower refresh modes, I am fine with it.

Still, probably something MS and nVidia want to get fixed. I did open a ticket with nVidia yesterday.

Did you try messing around with your TV’s settings? It sounds like some auto-detect system is messing up. If you can force a refresh rate/resolution at the TV end, it might fix it.

I never had to do anything of the sort before the CU update, and I would not even know how to, I do not think it is possible, there is no resolution and refresh settings in my TV’s menu. I think this is Windows 10 problem.

No issues with CU here.

Are you playing on TV via HDMI ?

ah i was last month but just switched back to dual monitors.

I cannot help you, only can comment I also had problems with the Creators update and AMD drivers. Warhammer crashed at start (it didn’t even show the game launcher!), Paladins gave me a DX error saying me gpu didn’t support one required feature.
With the last version of the drivers I had problems and had to roll back one version before, which was also problematic as W10 itself also was updating it again.

I installed the Creator’s update and I had audio (Realtek) issues. Seems to be a known issue with no fix as of yet.

So I rolled back to the previous build (1607).

Here is how to delay the update, I delayed mine last night.

I don’t mind waiting a few weeks till it is fully stable. :)

Yeah with Anniversary update I had it delayed like 6 months, but with CU I forgot to do it. And since I needed space on SSD I erased the previous windows install so I cannot revert. Anyway thanks to CRU I have the issue fixed and haven’t encountered any other issues so far, so I am not too pissed off. Although judging by the posts above and this issue, the CU seems to have its fair share of problems. And not small ones either.

I’ve updated to CU on multiple machines and had zero issues.

I’m getting notifications that I need to review my privacy settings before the CU is installed - if I ignore that notification will it simply delay installation until some future time? Anyone know?