So what have I missed in PC gaming that is good?

If you liked Skyrim on the console, try it on a PC. Plus, once again, mods!

Metro 2033.
(and the book!)

Dota 2!

Oh yeah, Anno 2070 is great.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

1080p 60 FPS if your system can handle it. And any system can probably run 1080p at 30, the original frame rate. Gorgeous.

I love these threads because they give everyone an excuse to post their favorite games!

Honestly, if I boil away everything but the best stuff, the last few years leaves this:

• Batman: Arkham City
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • The Secret World
  • Dead Space 3
  • The Witcher 2
  • Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
  • Guild Wars 2
  • XCOM
  • Dark Souls
  • Borderlands 2
  • Max Payne 3
  • Natural Selection 2
  • Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Battlefield 3

Some older games

• R.U.S.E.
  • Civilization V
  • Bulletstorm
  • Dead Rising 2
  • Mirror’s Edge

Smaller/Funky games

• The Void
  • Miasmata
  • Dear Esther
  • To The Moon
  • I am Alive
  • Vessel
  • Limbo

Yep, it’s a sort of generic thread but I’ve rarely been steered wrong by this forum, glad to see how friendly it still is even after a huge hiatus!

Dota 2 and League of Legends are really good. Not sure if you’ve played Dota, but LoL is like one of the most popular games in the world right now or something. Very addicting and fun.
Bastion is a great little indie game. Action RPG with amazing narrator haha. I’d also reccomend trying out Dwarf Fortress, which is a sort of city building, intense simulation game. Hard to explain but great fun if you can get passed the UI. Guild Wars 2 is packed with things to do and is a very fun game. I’d also recommend Team Fortress 2, although I’m not too sure if it is really that good anymore now that is is basically an MMO =/

PS2 emulation is pretty much sorted. Does not require overclocked triple cores as it did in '09/'10 - assuming you have a core i5 rig or higher.

You need to dump the bios and that has also become a trivial process:

as for games, GTA IV is a definite one to get on PC. Here’s my random posts on gta4:

Mount & Blade: Warband

you have to qualify that, the game is certainly highly regarded but it’s not for everyone. I for example can’t play “randomly generated mission” games, need a strong storyline. So M&B does nothing for me.

GTA 4 had a horrible story, I quit after a little over an hour of dating and bowling. :p

I am currently trying out lost and the damned dlc, and its also very meh… And my biker friends in game drive into me all the freaking time.

Maybe Gay Tony is good, I’ll also give that a shot before uninstalling it all.

Sure, I agree. I based it on his list of games he liked, and his looked like a list I could have written myself. RPG sandboxes aren’t for everyone, but I’ve put more hours into this one than any other non-MMORPG game by a factor of 5.

You should pickup XCOM : Enemy Unknown off Steam then, you’ll love it. I was a huge XCOM fan, and played Enemy Unknown for dozens of hours revelling in the nostalgia mixed with cool new elements. Highly recommended, I think we even voted it GOTY here on QT3 for 2012.

You might enjoy Planetside 2. It’s totally free to play, so no risk. It’s a multiplayer FPS similar to Tribes/Battlefield/CoD only with battles that encompass hundreds of people rather than dozens. It’s best if you can find an organized outfit (guild) to play with, as the game really shines when you’re in a squad that is part of a platoon that is all working together to accomplish the same goals. Futuristic guns, tanks, planes, turrets and other vehicles, 3 continents with tons of bases, and no pay-to-win. If you really enjoyed Tribes, PS2 is as close to a modern version as it gets.

i just ignore those fuckers, just like my friends and family in real life >D

Crysis 1 has a reputation for being a tech demo, but it really is a really good shooter in it’s own rights.

I’ll chime in for Mount & Blade. It’s extra fun on a beefy PC with the battle resizer and lots of graphics mods.

Rts starcraft2
4x eador
Homm flavor Armored princess
Best ftl game FTL
best xcom game New Xcom
Open world skyrim
Guided fps Dishonored

The best FTL game is FTL? Whut? ;)

I PREFER randomly generated missions. Hell my dream rpg is skyrim level graphics and ‘world’ in a procedure generated daggerfall-sized world.

So yeah ;D

PS- so far, diablo 3 is DOGSHIT. It (not battle net) does not like my login info, though battlenet likes it fine. So there is no game. Not a majestic return to the pc fold - immediate, dumb, ‘DRM’/alwaysonline issue. I dont even play diablo games multiplayer. Fuck you for making me log in to anything.

EDIT: also win8, fuck you , holy shit this is clunkomatic.

i7’s do nicer than mobile i7s in graphics apps, so there is a plus to buying this thing.

I’m sure it will all shake out and I’ll be wasting hours on this thing

EDIT again:
Pretending I’m european made Diablo calm down.