So, what's YOUR Top 10?

1. Soul Calibur 4: I’m a huge Soul Calibur fan, and Namco managed to not fuck it up.

2. Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: A triumph! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1cOvZ3nS8

3. Left 4 Dead: Co-op was fun for the first play through, but the games real legs are in versus mode. Most fun I’ve had in an FPS since AVP2.

4. Ninja Gaiden II: Not perfect, but good enough. I enjoyed it far more than Ninja Gaiden Black.

5. Galciv II: Twilight of the Arnor: Yeah, I’m stretching for games to fill my list. But hey, Galciv is great!

6. QWOP: Sorry.

I found most of the games of 2008 to be pretty underwhelming, though I’ve yet to play Fallout 3 or Kings Bounty and I suspect I’ll enjoy them both.

Edit: Added Barkley. Highly deserving!

I probably didn’t even play ten triple-A titles this year – not having a current-gen console really cuts down on one’s possibilities.

I probably need to review the early-year offerings, but I know that Auditorium, Audiosurf, World of Goo, and Left 4 Dead are high up on my list. Metro Rules of Conduct is probably my GOTY. Too tired to think of other indie games I’ve liked this year…

If I had played them, Penny Arcade Adventures, LittleBigPlanet, Castle Crashers, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl would very likely be on my list. I’d assume Persona 4 would be on it too, given the rave reviews and my current enjoyment of Persona 3.

Yes, it really tried to rise above the immaturity by naming the internet cafe TW@T and the inclusion of such nuanced characters like Bernie Crane (did you notice he was gay?) and Jimmy Pegorino (he was a great representation of Italian-Americans).

And better!

Purple vans full of ninjas with uzis!!! headbang

I have a stupid hard time making lists like this. I usually just favor the games I’ve played recently.

Thaaaat said, I’d probably give the number one slot to Far Cry 2. Yeah, it fails in a lot of little ways, like the crappy voice acting and the nonsensical plot, but the forest was jut so damn beautiful. I spent far too much time just roaming around the gorgeous terrain in vehicles that I actually LIKED to drive, engaging in random sorties and sieges. It is very much a game that rewards suspension of disbelief moreso than any I’ve seen, and you have to forgive the occasional sight of the man behind the screen. Some folks can’t or don’t want to do that, and I can’t say I blame them. But me? Adored it. Also, the weapons were nice and meaty, and it was just fuckin’ FUN to blow shit up in that game. Yes, I said “fun”. I don’t wanna talk about destructible environments and physics and smoke volumes and particle emitters, okay?

Runner up: King’s Bounty. HoMM (yes, I know the original KB was first) pared down to its addictive fundamentals, and polished like glass. I couldn’t stop playing it for weeks, and I’m gagging for the expansion.

The rest: Saints Row 2. Valkyria Chronicles. Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2, like MAF said. Tales of Vesperia. PURE. Rock Band 2. Wrath of the Lich King.

Still workin’ on, but made a great impression: Fallout 3. Persona 4.

Not stellar, but liked well enough to call out: Depths of Peril. Dead Space. Tomb Raider Underworld. Warriors Orochi PSP. Summon Night Twin Age. Disgaea 3. Naruto TBB.

1. Fallout 3 (360) - my only complaint is the merely average writing, which falls somewhat short of 1 & 2’s standards. Otherwise, YES.

2. Saints Row 2 (360) - only way Crackdown 2 will beat SR2 is if it includes ridiculous minigames that among (5,000 or more) other things lets me throw deranged R&B-diva stalkers into a jet engine.

3. Persona 3: FES (PS2) - is there a traditional JRPG series that’s even 1/100th as badass as Shin Megami Tensei? (Hypothetical, of course the answer is no.)

4. NHL 09 (360) - I haven’t even played the online mode that people are raving about so much. The singleplayer mode alone makes it my favorite sports game in years. I’m not sure why the controls have ‘clicked’ with me so perfectly, but now I can’t remember why I ever liked a hockey game before this one.

5. Devil May Cry 4 (360) - It’s DMC with HD graphics, new ridiculous boss fights, etc. Tough to complain. Granted, you won’t find a weapon that’s actually a guitar, that doubles as a scythe, that shoots clouds of electric bats, that let you totally rock enemies to death. So it’s not as good as DMC3. But that’s okay since no other game is as good either.

6. Gears Of War 2 (360) - Besides Fallout 3 (which isn’t a pure shooter) I don’t think I’ve tried any other new shooter game this year. But I’m not just throwing it in by default. I like “realistic” shooters well enough but my heart will always be with the arcade-action ones, especially those that do such a good job with boss fights.

7. Patapon (PSP) - Ultra-stylish and clever strategy game with rhythm action thrown in. This came out of nowhere to kick my ass right up through my teeth. Easily my favorite PSP game of the year.

8. Geometry Wars 2 (360) - I finally got onto XBL and made this my first XBLA purchase. One week later, my 360 red-ringed on me. Yes, this insane game rules so intensely that it killed my console.

9. Rez HD (360) - over the course of this game’s life on three different consoles, I’ve rented it three times, bought it once (at an exorbitant price), and now bought it again (luckily at a much more reasonable price) solely to play it in HD. I’ve don’t think a game’s cost me this much money since the early-90s Ultima games that were usually priced at $70 or more.

10. Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (PS2) - It’s still a wrestling game, so that pretty much guarantees that the AI and fighting mechanics won’t be as spectacular as the best fighting games out there. However, it hugely outclasses all of its wrestling-game competition in this sense, so its pure gameplay is actually pretty good. Then the customization mode is nothing short of spectacular, something that puts not only fighting games but pretty much everything else to utter shame. Too bad it’s still using SNES-era graphics.

Honorables:

Loco Roco 2 (a bit more inventive gameplay than the original, and it retains the ridiculous cheerfulness and charm)
Audiosurf (you haven’t really played this until you’ve taken on Meshuggah’s “I” on Ninja Mono mode)
Mirror’s Edge (yes I’m disappointed that it’s not GTA with very little fighting and very much running/leaping all over the place like a double or triple-speed Crackdown, but it’s still a very nifty experience and the Time Attack mode had me hooked for quite a while)
STALKER: Clear Sky (STALKER kicked ass! More STALKER kicks more ass!)

Oh, are we explaining our choices too? How droll.

Far Cry 2: It’s hard to talk about this one without talking about how wrong other people are about it. It’s basically perfect. The “go to X and kill/take/destroy Y” missions are very thinly veiled fetch quests that are nothing more than excuses to get you out of the cease fire zone and into the line of fire, which is where the game shines. Who cares if you have to shoot up six checkpoints on your way to shooting up a railyard? This is a classic kill everyone before they kill you shooter with the most dynamic firefights ever witnessed this side of a cutscene or movie theater.

Saints Row 2: Tom says this is better than Crackdown; I’m not so sure. Crackdown started fresh and only added features that would enhance the game. That left it somewhat lacking in content but overflowing with freedom and replayability. Saints Row 2 starts with the typical GTA-clone model and crams it with content while throwing out what doesn’t work. It misses some things (like the Ronin swordfighting missions) but it’s the high water mark of the genre thus far. I’m not sure how much further the formula can be stretched.

Braid: Pure genius. A gaming critique wrapped in a puzzle game wrapped in a veneer of platforming. No game features puzzles this inspired and this obvious while still seeming so obtuse. This more than any other game released this year is the one I would implore everyone to play (and then I would likely disown them if they failed to grasp its brilliance).

World of Goo: It’s not all presentation. Don’t let the charming cutscenes or colorful art or epic score fool you – there’s a game behind all this beauty, and it’s a doozy. Excepting the extended tutorial of the first few levels, there’s not a single wasted moment or duplicated goal in the game. The concept is wrung dry and still you’re left demanding more.

Spore: A technical marvel and a solid game – who cares if the phases aren’t quite as fleshed out as the genres they survey? What’s present was chosen carefully and playing is as fun and effortless as any nostalgic title while still holding the promise of future expansion.

Pixeljunk Eden: As abstract and stylish as any game this year, the first few areas have you flying gracefully through space while pollen rains from the sky like confetti and the world itself pulses to a beat that you can’t help but align yourself with. The later levels introduce some obtuse puzzles and more challenging mechanics but only slightly mar the luster of this work of art.

Burnout Paradise: The definitive open-world racer. It dares to suggest that memorizing turns and checkpoints is not a worthwhile activity, choosing to make its every race a simple point to point race across a common area that you come to know as well as your own home. It even takes the bold step of removing the ability to retry events in an attempt to force people to come to terms with this mechanic. Some people still don’t get it, but for everyone else it’s one of the finest racers ever.

Audiosurf: A puzzle game with thousands of opponents. A frantic racing game with a million levels. An interactive music visualizer. Whatever you get out of it, Audiosurf is possibly the best $10 you will ever spend on a game.

Boom Blox: You throw baseballs at a castle made of blocks while cows and monkeys cheer you on from the sidelines. Also you can hit the cows with baseballs. Or you can hit them with bowling balls, or lasers, or you can blow them up, or you can plunge them to their deaths. Or you can play Jenga, or you can build your own levels and share them, or you can replay levels for a higher score to nab one of the many unlockables. There’s a lot here and it’s all charming and rewarding even if it won’t all work for you.

Bejeweled Twist: It starts with you making consecutive matches to fill your multiplier, then you disregard the multiplier as the bombs become more numerous, then you start counting moves as the doom gems show up. And then you lose, and then you play again. It’s addictive. The challenge mode is as frustrating and compelling as Peggle’s. Also, FRUIT DANCE!

I have yet to play a lot of games released this year, but here’s the ones I’ve enjoyed so far:

World of Goo
I don’t think there’s anything that I don’t like about this game. Well, except for it being too short, but then I didn’t ever want it to end.

Patapon
I felt just felt pure joy when playing this. I didn’t finish it as there was need for too much grinding at the end (for me at least).

Crisis Core: FF7
Can’t say I was fond of the story in this game, but I still enjoyed the battlesystem which led me to beat almost all the side missions.

Dead Space
Didn’t like the writing or the narration. But the setting was nice and the weapons we’re cool! It did scare me a lot also, even though there was a bit much “in your face” stuff.

My top games played this year in order:

Fallout 3
Superlative open world, go anywhere and do anything you please. Also with this years best quest writing.
Rock Band 1+2
Both released over here this year, clearly my most played game in 2008. The most fun you can have with your pants on.
Far Cry 2
Amazing setting, wonderful graphics. Repetition has never been this fun.
Burnout Paradise
Frantic seat of your pants driving with a million things to do in a perfectly realised city. Enormous kudos to Criterion for their updates as well, they could almost be a separate standalone expansion pack.
Saints Row 2 and GTA 4
Wazzup homie? Not much Komrade. Vastly different approaces to the open-city genre but both passes with flying colours.
PacMan CE
Blissful relaxing while brutally difficult. The perfect game when you feel stressed and need to burn off some energy.
Football Manager 2009
For those sad rejects like me who are addicts to soccer.
Call of Duty : World at War
One of this years most frustrating single-player campaigns, but the multiplayer shines as always.

I think it’s a safe assumption that a retry event option was omitted for technical reasons, but your justification is, well, interesting. What does “coming to terms” with the absence of a retry option do for the player experience? How is it that the absence of such a feature is a game mechanic, as you seem to be suggesting?

And how did you feel about the game once you had completed most of it and were left driving long distances to retry longer and more difficult end game races? Matt Keil, I believe, mentioned his irritation with this in one of the 10 game threads.

I’ll tell you about my favorite games of 2008 in late spring of 2009 which is the earliest time I might have played them all.

I simply did not have time to play all the games I wanted to this year :( but I can scratch together a list, in rough order:

1. Mass Effect PC
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Sins of a Solar Empire
  4. World of Goo
  5. Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
  6. Far Cry 2
  7. GRiD
  8. Audiosurf
  9. Dead Space
  10. Peggle Nights

Honourable mentions: Left 4 Dead (only played the demo), Spore

Contra, Contra, Contra, Contra, Contra, Contra, Contra, Contra, Contra…Contra?

Sometime after the 90s or around, I got tired of games seeing they cease to evolve or deliver good entertainment which builds on past and improves…

Also, Loose Cannon had it before GTA4 ever thought it up…FU EA!

Geez, what makes my list. I don’t think I’ve even bought 10 games this year.

1. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. I liked every part of this game that didn’t feature Genesis reading a play, and the ending. That’s why it’s no higher, because Genesis really loved reading that damned play.

2. WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009. Hahaha, yes. A wrestling game! On a top 10 list! But the ability to import my own music and create my own finisher gives SDvR09 a lot more flexibility and customization than any previous game, and luckily the gameplay’s very good too. It’s not WWF No Mercy, but I don’t think that will be surpassed for me.

Plus, you have to love any game that lets you come down to the ring to the “Burn My Dread” last battle mix from Persona 3.

1. Sins of a Solar Empire. I forgot this came out this year. I haven’t played it much recently, but it was all I did play during the first four months of 2008. I almost have it to the point where I know all the unit acknowledgement voices, and my wife would be very happy if I stopped mimicking the Vasari gutteral bug voices.

2. Europa Universalis III: In Nomine. It’s an expansion pack, but it’s one that finally got EU3 to click for me. I bought this after reading Troy S Goodfellow’s comments on it on Flash of Steel, and since then have gotten embroiled in a huge conflict with France as Spain, with my empire stretching across four continents.

3. Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor. Damn you Brad Wardell! Stop making good turn-based games that suck up weeks of my life at a time! I finally BEAT a game of this, which is a first for me in GalCiv. I have never loved a game so much while still not really getting it.

4. Valkyria Chronicles. This is exactly the kind of game I wanted to come out for the PS3, and I have loved every second of it. The characters are accessible, the voice acting is stellar, the gameplay is -excellent-, and the only reason I haven’t beaten it yet is that the next game on my list came out right after it.

5. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. It’s a solo player’s paradise, and as a WoW lore nerd, it’s like Christmas came early. I’m enough of a dork to be happier to be level 77 and flying than I will be to hit level 80. This is WITHOUT spending any time in the Storm Peaks, too, which I’m sure are going to be just mind-blowing. Blizzard made a masterpiece, here – I never thought that something could make me look back at vanilla WoW or even Burning Crusade and go, “Eh, it was good, I guess, but nothing like this.” Wrath has done that.

6. Persona 3: FES. Loophole! FES was this year! This was also my first exposure to Persona 3 – I heard about it, read the thread on QT3 a few times, and decided to give this weird niche game a shot. 100 hours later I was alternating between speechless and giddy. I fucking love Persona 3 (which makes me disappointed in Persona 4, the bar was set so high from 3.).

I have yet to play Fallout 3 – hoping to pick it up after the holidays.

I didn’t fully love enough games this year to have a top 10, so I’ll go with 5.

5. World of Goo
I had played the flash game this is born from some time ago, and didn’t really think it was that big of a deal – so I originally passed on the full game. But at the insistance of a friend, I later tried it. Absolutely outstanding experience. The writing is fun. I loved the constant fresh ideas with the mechanics as you progress (especially at world 4).

4. Geometry Wars 2
I grew up strictly an arcade brat. Shunning ‘home’ versions of games for years and years because they didn’t live up to what the arcade machines were capable of. So the old-school, score based, high action games really strike a chord with me. Geometry Wars 2 did a fantastic job of adding new dimensions to the previous game, without turning it into a ‘modern’ style game. It’s still a pure arcade style experience.

3. Burnout Paradise
When it comes to racing games, I’m only an ‘arcade style’ racing fan. In realistic driving, like Gran Tourismo or Forza, I’m useless. So I’ve been playing the Burnout games every time there is one. I didn’t find the lack of a restart option a problem, even when getting near the end of playing through to a full 101%. It’s a bit rough at the start, until you get to really know the city. But once I was familiar with the whole place and could get to anywhere I wanted to go without staring at a map, it was a huge blast. I love the burnout style. But most important with this burnout was the online play. The co-operative challenge stuff was ridiculously fun. The game modes that added later on are cool too, but by then most people I know had stopped playing so it was hard to get a group together for something like online marked-man.

2. Saints Row 2
I played a little GTA4. I didn’t much care for it. Too me, it was taking itself way too seriously for what it was. And the realistic (?) driving was the last straw. I gave up on it pretty quickly. I didn’t ever play through San Andreas all the way either. But I loved GTA3 and Vice City. To me, Saints Row kind of carries on in the spirit of Vice City. Not taking itself so seriously. It still has the open world, and many of the same kinds of missions, but it’s a lot more escapism and a lot less trying to be some video game equivalent of an oscar whoring drama movie. The exaggeration of it all makes the violence and crime at the core of it silly, and not as disturbing. Then layer on the copious amounts of extra side games/missions/diversions and it just gets better. I played through the entire game in co-op with a friend and we had a blast.

1. Little Big Planet
I like a good platforming action game, so I paid pretty close attention to the news of LBP throughout it’s development. I was never really sure that it would work as well as Sony was hoping. I managed to get a key for the LBP beta before the retail release, and I gave it a decent effort. After the beta ended, I was really unsure. It just hadn’t grabbed me. There were several issues that bugged me about the gameplay. User created content is never the bounty of great fun you’d hope, because most people don’t have the creativity level required to be designing games.

But then I got the retail release anyway. It had been ages since there was any reason to fire up the Ps3, so I figured I’d give the full game a shot. It just sort of clicked with me, and I’ve been loving it ever since. Any time I’ve had time to play games, I’ve been playing around with LBP. I play with both my daughters; one who is 9 and plays the full retail game with me, and one who is 3 who likes putting outfits on the sack person and running through simple ‘run to the right’ levels I built for her. I play through the included story levels, and marvel at the design. I play around with the editor, to make levels for my 3 year old, and to build wacky stuff like a fully operational front end loader.

Definitely my game of the year, even though I’ve only had it for a short while. I still don’t think it’ll be the huge hit Sony wanted (needed?) it to be, because on the surface it’s too quirky to gain mass appeal. That’s a shame.

Extra sideline mention: Fairway Solitaire – I end up stuck at work for my (required) lunch hour pretty often, and I kill time with simple casual games. Fairway Solitaire was something I happened upon by accident. It’s just a simple solitaire card game, but I had fun with it. Easily the best brain-dead time-killer game I’ve played this year.

1. Fallout 3 - I’m an absolute sucker for Bethesda RPGs and Fallout 3 delivered in spades. I was thoroughly addicted to the game for 40+ hours and despite the terrible ending, it’s still my clear #1 game of the year.

2. Far Cry 2 - I bought this almost on a whim after reading a lot of impressions on this board. I didn’t expect to love it, but hoped I would like it. At least 20 hours later I’m 75% of the way through the game and still ignoring the rest of my collection in my hunt for the Jackal. I love the shooting, driving, and gun collecting. The story is almost irrelevant except that the game unflinchingly (at least up to the end from what I hear) forces you down the path of a ruthless mercenary. There is no good path. There is no equivocating. Either destroy the medicine factory or cease your progress in the game. I love that this game has the balls to make the player be an absolutely disgusting human being.

3. Dead Space - I wish I was cool enough to say that graphics don’t matter, but in Dead Space’s case, they surely do. The game is absolutely gorgeous from beginning to end, which really sells the atmosphere and the gritty, used up look of the Ishimura. Of course the frosting doesn’t matter if the cake tastes like sewer detritus, and fortunately Dead Space’s mechanics deliver right on par with the subperb graphics. Isaac controls beautifully, and that’s not hyperbole. The control scheme and tuning of the game overall is excellent. Really Dead Space is one of the most strikingly polished games of the year.

4. Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero World Tour - Yeah, I can have both band games as one entry in my top five! Each game does what it does well. GH’s new hardware is phenomenal and the note charts on Medium are far superior to those of Rock Band. Rock Band’s less stringent singing evaluation and massive library of DLC balance out the aspects of GH that I like more. Sundays with friends are just more enjoyable with these two games.

5. Civilization Revolution - I played this game to death, both solo and co-op. The simplistic nature of the AI does not confound or destroy the fun to be had or the rewarding feelings I get by decimating the other civilizations in any of the possible ways. I especially liked how each Civ had unique benefits, giving the player a real reason to try it with all of them. My brother and I whiled away quite a few weekend mornings (and afternoons) playing this.

6. Army of Two - Speaking of my brother, some of the most fun I had this year was playing Army of Two co-op with him. We had an absolute riot taking down the bad guys and gold plating our various firearms. The cover mechanic in this game works surprisingly well, considering that it requires no button presses (unlike Gears’ system). Mindless fun has never been better, especially in co-op.

7. Gears of War 2 - Speaking of co-op, I blew through Gears 2’s campaign with a buddy and was pretty shocked at how good it is. The first Act is pretty meh, but after that the game never lets up. I’ve yet to play it single player as it’s clearly best enjoyed with a friend. Horde mode is brilliant, providing a fun and addictive reason to keep playing after the campaign is through, even for those who, like me, are averse to adversarial multiplayer.

8. Fable 2 - I must admit at the outset that I’ve not finished Fable 2, but I’m well over half way through its story. Speaking of story, Fable 2 actually manages to put forth a decent one, though the real star of the game is building up you character to God-like levels. I love buying property, acquiring weapons and clothes, and being a sickening good two shoes. The addition of the dog works perfectly in creating an emotional attachment to the game world and he is never annoying. I also liked the bread crumb trail, though an including of some kind of functioning map would have been good as well.

9. Lost Odyssey - Again, I admit I never finished this game despite getting to the last disc and spending 40+ hours with it. I was absolutely addicted to it for weeks though and loved the story, both of the game itself and the little short story vignettes. The battle mechanics work very well and crafting and swapping out rings is rewarding without being irritating. I wish I could say I was going back to it, but when the game opened up on the last disc I lost interest quickly. This doesn’t diminish the fun I had while I compulsively played the previous 40+ hours and I still regard it as one of the top ten games I played this year.

10. Buzz Quizz TV - More than a simple quiz game, Buzz throws some unique segments at you. While it’s always about answering questions, the fact that you can accidentally throw a pie in your own face is just one example of how Buzz spices things up. Playing with four people is a riot and I must admit that my pulse has been pounding more than once during the final showdown segment of the game.

If you were left driving long distances to retry longer races, it’s safe to say that you were going for the elite license, the one that comes after the credits, and is for those players that like to be achievement or completest whores. That’s fine for those that love difficulty and challenge, but shouldn’t be held against the game. If you fail an even (even in the last level) there are still choices near by to do another one.

I think this thread is about top 10 lists for the year rather than all time, but it’s nice to meet a fellow Freelancer fanboy, whatever the circumstances.

Of the ones I actually played to completion this year, and in no particular order:

Fable 2 - I wound up putting a lot more time into this one than even the full Lost Chapters edition of the original, thanks to there being more to do. Still a bit overly generic, but there are a couple nice twists and it’s well executed.
Rock Band 2 - Everything the original should have been.
Persona 3 FES - The persona fusion triggered the compulsive collector and min/maxer parts of me, and the story is pretty good.
Braid - Artsy-fartsiness aside, it’s a really nice, original take on ye olde platforming puzzles.
Mario Kart Wii - Mainly for finally having decent online support where you don’t have to be an ultra-pro at vibrating your thumbs until they fall off to have a good chance.

That does leave out a lot of games, but mainly because I’m still only partway through them or never got around to them, so honourable mentions go to Fallout 3, Midnight Club LA, GRID, Disgaea 3, and Sins of a Solar Empire for impressing me with what I’ve played of them so far.

Here’s my list in no order:

Fallout 3 - Absolutely redefined, upgraded, and revitalized the Fallout world for a new generation of gamers and hardware. Had the trademark Bethesda bugginess and quirks, but the other 95% of the time it was perfect. “Oblivion with guns” haters can suck it and sit in their sad, lonely corners nursing their NMA grudges.

Left 4 Dead - Brought co-op gaming kicking and screaming into reality. This isn’t just arbitrary multiplayer gaming with an overall goal that you should cooperate to get towards. This is Valve using the Source Engine to force each player to always think of what’s going on with his/her team. On Expert Mode, any miscommunication or tactical error can spell doom for all the intrepid Survivors. Oh, and The Director AI is a bastard.

GTA IV - Nope, it wasn’t perfect and Rockstar perhaps unwisely chose to forego whimsy for heavy drama in the storyline, but damned if GTA IV wasn’t firing both barrels at expectations. Multiplayer was a blast as well.

Sins of a Solar Empire - The only thing this game is missing is porn. Wait, strike that. It’s already like porn for geeks that love epic space battles a la Babylon 5, Star Wars, or Homeworld.

Fable II - Another game that dropped before it was ready. Buggy and co-op multiplayer was gimped, but an absolutely charming departure from the fantasy staples. Setting, art direction, and dialogue came together to make this one of the most engaging worlds yet. And who could deny the awesomeness of the dog?