So when is E3 actually going to be a trade show?

Well, if (as a purely hypothetical example) a company’s North American exectuives were not supporting one of their own titles that might reduce it’s order numbers.

Yes. That definitely does happen. I wasn’t at E3 last year but plenty of folks commented on the rather large crowds that Katamari Damacy drew. I think a good buyer should see that and be somewhat prepared even if the sales reps are clueless about the game.

–Dave

Who actually goes to the show except to get their Sony party wrist band? Everybody I ever went with slept through the show and went to the parties and strip joints all night. Of course, I was lame and slept through the night to go in to the show to get my press meet n greets… Total waste of time. I will never actually attend the conference again, there is much better action at night where people are truly more accessible.

K

At least in the last few years, they officially prohibit kids. There are always exceptions, though.

And I agree that it’s a lost cause in terms of going back to an intimate trade show. It’s a massive press event with a side of deal-making and business development in the smaller halls[/quote]

They’ve had the disclaimer as far back as I can remember. Idk as of late, but in 2002 there were quite a few given out.

Well, if (as a purely hypothetical example) a company’s North American exectuives were not supporting one of their own titles that might reduce it’s order numbers.
Wasn’t San Andreas’ E3 experience limited to some Game Informers given out… and that turned out pretty well.

I actually still get excited to see all the new games and get a chance to play them. I could care less about parties and think the booth babe stuff is tacky. Of course I’m also really just a big geek.

We, the professional game writers, already know this, and a large majority of us dread E3 more and more every year. We are also thankful for the increasing number of pre-E3 events that help alleviate the problem.