So, who are you and what do you do?

I never posted in this thread originally but I will now. I’m a recently retired CPA who worked in the banking industry for most of my career, a Tar Heel born and bred. I got interested in PC gaming when I saw a co-worker playing the original Civilization on his PC during his lunch break (back when you could do that sort of stuff and security was pretty lax). Soon after that, it was all she wrote, I made up an excuse to myself that I needed a PC, bought a brand new Gateway, bought Civilization and Master of Orion and I was hooked.

I got my first job out of school at a systems integrator doing work inside Dow Chemical in 1991 and our boss would play this all day long at our building, and didn’t care who saw him. He was the owner, though, so he could, heh, and we only had like 6 employees.

So it doesn’t like I ever posted a precis of me here. I started out with an Apple ][ in university. Game playing on that included Choplifter, Rescue Raiders, Lode Runner, and of course Dino Eggs. A roommate had a C-64 so I also played a lot of Raid on Bungling Bay, Impossible Mission, and Mule (lots and lots of Mule). I eventually switched over to the PC environment where I playing Civilization, Master of Orion, Master of Magics and all got me hooked on the 4x strategy genre. I am a sissy pigs refugee arriving at QT3 when Mark Asher posted about starting this web forum on Usenet.

Friday was my last day at Google, as I’m moving on from there to join Aurora (https://aurora.tech/) as a Senior Information Security Architect. Still staying in the PNW, as the role is fully remote (even after Covid).

That’s a cool gig, and super important. Self-driving vehicle security directly affects peoples’ lives, and helps keep Skynet in check too. Congrats!

Was an M&A lawyer for a bit, did software sales and ended up a corporate exec doing biz dev for a Chinese tech company. Having spent the last 30+ years playing games I’m now self-teaching coding so I can work on some hobby projects in my copious free time ™ to amuse myself and my kids.

Edit: I used to post here in 06-08, nice to see so many familiar faces still around.

Phew, now I can admit I’m Bo Duke! Because I was scared of you I never posted here when I joined.

You are clearly an imposter. Them Duke Boys weren’t afraid o’ nothing’!

I posted here in Dec '15 looks like, but I never mentioned who I am or what I do.

I work as a Network Admin at a healthcare facility, wearing many hats in a small IT Team of two from managing the virtual environment to maintaining servers/switches and replacing keyboards that get pop spilled on them. It’s one of those deals where it’s a medium sized facility so I get to chat with folks when they need help which is nice as everyone is pretty cool.

After hours, I like to game, watch TV (streaming generally these days), smoke a good cigar with a good book, I work out (I’ve recently moved out of a cardio phase and into a weight training phase again) as that and chores are the best way to stay on top of my podcasts. Almost exactly one year ago I started painting, and created a thread about it in Everything Else! My son recently moved to college, so he’s far enough away I only get to chat on the phone with him, rather than playing Magic with him whenever the mood struck (usually on weekends), so that’s a bit of a bummer, and my daughter will be moving out to college next year, leaving my wife and I home in an empty nest…

…full of video games, cigars, painting projects, and streaming services, so I think I’ll be okay. :)

You got me, but now I’m gonna have to cuff ya an’ stuff ya since you blew my cover.

Hello, my name is Buford T. Justice. I am in law enforcement, and have one son, who generally tries to help. Boss Hogg (That is you. I reconnize you!), you ever want to get together, I’ll tell you how to kick those Duke boys’ lily white asses. :)

I’m a snow collector from Enceladus, a small moon in the Saturnian System. I also do frop bogs, rare diseases, and games lol.

Did you ever make it home to kick mama’s butt?

Please allow me to introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste
I’ve been around for a long, long years
Stole million man’s soul an faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

Stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed Tsar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
Held a general’s rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made

I shouted out
Who killed the Kennedys?
When after all
It was you and me

Let me please introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what’s confusing you
Is just the nature of my game

Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
'Cause I’m in need of some restraint

So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politnesse
Or I’ll lay your soul to waste, mm yeah

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, mm yeah
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, mm mean it, get down

Woo, who
Oh yeah, get on down
Oh yeah
Aah yeah

Tell me baby, what’s my name?
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name?
Tell me baby, what’s my name?
I tell you one time, you’re to blame

What’s my name
Tell me, baby, what’s my name?
Tell me, sweetie, what’s my name?

Colin?

Close. It’s “Wilburforce.” Maybe.

Well, let’s put it this way; I tried.

Still in the PNW, but we’ve moved to a very rural island in Puget Sound. Friday, February 3rd will be my last day at Aurora. What comes next?

That would be telling.

Which I will totally do, just not quite yet.

How is life on a rural island? That sounds so nice in a lot of ways, but I’m sure there are drawbacks/challenges!