So, why isn't spyware illegal?

Spam is bad enough, but I liken it to junk mail-I don’t have to open it, even though it is a pain to have to delete it, etc.

But spyware is someone coming into my house and messing with my (and your) property-why is this allowed?

(I realize a law won’t necessarily change anything, but why not an outcry against this type of thing?)

I’m pretty sure it’s because it doesn’t harm your computer - though it certainly does cause an annoyance, which i suppose could be classed as a viral act. (like that “Stoned” Virus)

… that or because it generates cash for some people - cash that gets turned into taxes. Something viruses don’t do. (ooh, conspiracy!)

Some states are looking to enact laws dealing with it.

So if this follows most things - states will pass good consumer protection laws. Lobbyist for scumware will got to Washington and complain how this is hurting their ability to “empower the end user” by showing them ads every 15 seconds, and then the federal government will pass a law that protects the end user by making scumware mandatory.

Chet

Actually, since it’s my business to fix PC’s, I’ve found that spyware is pervasive and will often totally mess up an internet connection (dialup or broadband) to such an extent that it can’t even connect. That’s when they call me and I fix it.

Practically every PC I’ve worked in the last year had spyware on it ranging from 5-10 to over 600 spyware entries found by Spybot! This stuff is a real pain in the ass for end users but a goldmine for me! (I’m still against it, though.)

Actually, since it’s my business to fix PC’s, I’ve found that spyware is pervasive and will often totally mess up an internet connection (dialup or broadband) to such an extent that it can’t even connect. That’s when they call me and I fix it.

I’ve also seen this. User calls the helpdesk saying their network connection doesn’t work. Tech goes onsite and finds tons of spyware. Run AdAware or Spybot and now the network works again.

That’s the most likely reason there’s not a larger outcry against spyware: the fact that most users don’t even know they have it running. Add to this the fact that most people unknowingly click through install agreements, either hidden deep within the installers of other programs, such as P2P programs, or in the form of pop-ups hidden within a bunch of other pop-ups that the user accidently hits “I Agree” when they simply are trying to close all of them.

They should just outlaw ActiveX. Problem solved! Well, not quite, but it wouldn’t hurt.