So yeah, Gamestop sucks

I think the whole issue is this chart is confusing. So, on the left is digital sales. All phone and PC games are digital. I don’t think you can GET a physical game outside of vanity pressing or special kickstarter stuff. Then they throw consoles on there and don’t really say anything.

So, we HAVE to assume that the console sales are digital. It still sounds low, but realistically, we’re a pretty savvy group around here and probably do digital gaming more than others. I would assume that digital game purchases on console is pretty low compared to physical.

Then there’s the right side, the “who the hell knows” side of the chart. Esports revenue sounds low. Was that only League of Legends? Then what the hell is GVC? Then VR, does that include hardware? It would have to, wouldn’t it?

edit: Gaming Video Content - so, uh, like Twitch? Why the hell would this be in the chart?

I’ve heard that, yes. A last ditch effort for a failing company, I hear tell.

I think “digital games” just means video games. If that’s true, console gaming seems like a waste of time in comparison to mobile.

SEGA was the worst company ever and never had any innovative titles or talented designers.

(I may have gone too far. I’m sorry, Dave)

I’m not sure, but I’d believe these numbers over the other.

I don’t like these numbers, they must be fake…

Serious though am I missing the VR piece or is there some other report I’m supposed to read for that. Now i just want to know.

edit: I see it… VR Projects.

I think VR Projects represents money invested though, not revenue. Also, the source for it is still Superdata.

The Newzoo numbers seem more plausible, yeah.

You’re right. the VR stuff is still Superdata. Are they the only ones really tracking VR right now, at least at this level which would be interesting.

While GameStop does indeed fail to please at my local retailer, which has exactly half a kiosk of PC games, I did have a good experience with them this week. I had not heard from Amazon about shipping my ESO CE, and then I began hearing that Amazon had oversold it. My wife bought the digital CE, but I bought the physical so we could have the book. I saw that GameStop’s site indicated they still had copies, so two days ago I ordered from them and cancelled my Amazon order. GameStop (via UPS) had is on my doorstep this afternoon.

Looks like the ripple effect of Best Buy ending GCU is trickling down.

Just got an email from Gamestop that they are retiring the Elite Pro Rewards tier as of tomorrow (8/1). So no more 20% discounts (because they don’t have the competition from BB anymore I"m sure).

So all that’s less is 10% discount from Gamestop or 20% off selective preorders from Amazon.

No email here. What country?

I’m in the US.

The PowerUp Rewards Elite Pro membership level is retiring as of 8/1/18. This means that your Elite Pro membership will not be available for renewal after your current membership period. In the meantime, you will retain your Elite Pro benefits through your membership period.

After your Elite Pro membership expires, we welcome you to renew as a PowerUp Rewards Pro in stores.

Well, that sucks. Also realized in checking when mine expires that the system has been shitting out $5 dollar reward coupons for the last couple of years, eating all the points I would have had.

The other trend I’m noticing (with Best Buy, not sure about Gamestop) is you have to wait a few months before you can trade certain games in, when their value drops to $20. I used to buy new console games for $47, finish them in a couple weeks, trade them in for $35-40 credit, and along with the $10 reward, was enough for another new game! Guess there were too many of us who were doing that. :) Ah the good ol’ days.

Not directly related to Gamestop, but a few weeks ago I took my mom to Best Buy shopping for a phone. Two sales dudes with headsets said there were zero cases for this phone (some type of Samsung Galaxy IIRC) in the store, and I should look on Amazon instead. I looked and found a case. One of the sales dude with headset then said there were “literally” (his words IIRC) no more cases for this phone. I looked again and found 3 more cases.

I didn’t know that was the reason but I did notice when I beat Xenoblades Chronicles 2 (~2-3 months after release) I took it to BB and they said it wasn’t in their system. That was the catalyst of me signing up for the Elite pro membership in the first place.

Gamestop would be happy to have you do exactly that.