So yeah, Gamestop sucks

In the town I grew up there was an EB games and GameStop literally within viewing distance of eachother. Literally across the street in two facing strip malls.

After the merger they kept the EB name around, and kept both open for a few years before… just renaming the EB to Gamestop. They’re both open to this day. about 1/4 mile apart.

Given that the EB headquarters was in our neck of the woods they always had a lot of stores where @DaveLong and I are. At one point there was a mall that had an EB and a Gamestop and for at least a year after the merger they had two stores in the same mall…probably a lease issue.

But even so, there was a point when I could dirve 1.5 miles south, 2 miles north, 3 mile west, or 1 mile east to my choice of Gamestop.

I had a GameStop near me that was supposed to be a national flagship store, with a raised stage with multiple consoles and monitors, so they could hold Street Fighter tournaments and such. It ended up closing down after a couple years, while the dinky strip-mall GameStop stores still survive.

Still, I was barely ever able to buy a new, shrinkwrapped game there. And I’m sorry, but an opened game with a “we’ll treat this is a new game” return policy is absolutely not the same. I found out later from one of the employees that they were able to open games, take them home and play them overnight, then bring them back the next day and still sell them as new. Philistines.

New change in company policy announced today.

Gamestop will be open on Thanksgiving for a “shortened and limited” day schedule.

“To better serve our guests with their evolving holiday shopping needs, this year GameStop will open its stores for a shortened and limited time on Thanksgiving Day. Many of our store associates and guests have asked for this. We have heard their requests and are making an adjustment to our previous position on this topic.”

Flashback to 2014:

https://thinkprogress.org/gamestop-will-be-closed-on-thanksgiving-out-of-respect-for-our-store-associates-f4a182bb384b

“At GameStop we often use the phrase “protect the family” in reference to our business. A large part of what that means to us is to not open any of our GameStop, SimplyMac, Spring Mobile or Cricket Wireless U.S. locations on Thanksgiving Day out of respect for our store associates and their families and friends. We believe it’s the right decision not only for our employees, but also for our customers. Enjoy this time with your loved ones and we’ll see you on Black Friday.”

One more to the pile of ‘fuck Gamestop’.

I hate, absolutely loathe and hate, retail shops being open on Thanksgiving. As the son of a firefighter I know a thing or two about working holidays.

It ain’t right, barring a few exceptions. Emergency services, and possibly gas stations.

I generally agree this sucks… assuming this is all there is too it. However, if the stores can offer incentives and you have employees that don’t actually mind working that night (some families, for example, don’t really do their get-together’s until that weekend) it can work out for everyone. If a store doesn’t have the staff, maybe they can option to remain closed after all. However, if it’s mandatory, that’s an entirely other thing.

Would suck for the manager, since they aren’t paid hourly, but anyone else would be getting holiday pay, I presume.

Arise!

I wonder if his personal reasons were “GameStop sucks.”

They’ve become a good source for Pokemon cards and random little figure type toys… I don’t know, like ThinkGeek in B&M form. I don’t buy games from them though, unless I feel the need to get some sort of pre-order thing (rarely feels the need). Oh yeah, and they carry some board games too that can clearance out at nice prices.

Not surprising, since they bought them 3 years ago.

I’ve been to GameStop like twice, ever. Once, I bought a X360 gamepad. The second time I bought a game box with no disk in it.

(I did use to frequent EB pretty often though.)

ThinkGeek owns GameStop? That’s amazing. The people that brought you caffinated soap and Chuthul plushies now owns the U.S.’ largest pawn shop.

I think it’s the other way around: GameStop mothercorp owns ThinkGeek.

Ah, that makes more sense. They bought them as a complimentary business. I’m sure the vendor relationships and distribution were their primary interest. I’ve never seen ThinkGeek branding in the stores.

Rei is correct. Sorry for the pronoun confusion. Bad editor, no biscuit.

Heh, I had no idea. Well that’s why I go there now, for clearance nerd stuff, ccgs and cheap boardgames. it was fun when they tried to sell me their membership and asked me how often I shopped at their store. I was like, well once every ten years, and only because I stopped there twice in the last quarter.

Their stock chart for the last 5 years looks like a disaster zone. From a high of near 55 to a low less than 13. Could they be the next ToysRUs?

I expect before they fold they will sell ThinkGeek. Unless it dies with them.

I just don’t understand why people hate this company so much. When I was a kid, I would have killed to have access to so much fun geeky stuff in one place. Their prices are in line with every other retailer and their pre-owned games offer a nice value, especially for lower income game purchasers who need the ability to trade games in as a means to buy new ones.

The stores near me all have a friendly helpful staff. I talk to them often when I go in for something. Af Christmas, the Thinkgeek stuff was super helpful for gift giving and priced reasonably.

It makes no sense to me.