So you want to build a submarine

This is great stuff.

For the past two years, Dalgleilsh has been building Git Kraken, a sub that looks like it jumped out of a superhero comic—saucer-shaped, with a beaklike nose, owlish eyes, and a curt tail. Its tiny tapered dive planes rotate up and down, each holding a powerful searchlight and an underwater thruster. It’s the kind of sub that looks like it should have laser cannons mounted to the sides. It’s a two-person sub, where the pilot and passenger sit side by side, 500 feet below the waves, on an upholstered bench seat, each looking forward out a 12-inch-wide round window. “You’re side by side,” Dalgleilsh explained to me, miming putting his arm around the shoulders of his passenger. “Like a car’s bench seat, because I really wanted to be able to share with my passenger.” He smiled and lit a Camel, one of his blue eyes slightly winking. I asked what’s behind the bench seat. “Nothing,” Dalgleilsh said, inhaling deeply on the cigarette. “The seat has to be able to fold down into a bed. You know, in case you want to take a nap… or… whatever.” I asked Dalgleilsh if he’s building a sex sub. He paused a moment, and then… “Yeah.”

Great article.

But Submarine Yellow’s draw is selective to an extreme: In 2006, just 3 percent of respondents to an online survey chose yellow as their favorite color, beating only white and gray. White and gray, of course, are the only other colors submariners paint their boats. Submariners are attracted to the three least popular colors in the world.

When I was a kid, some friends of my dad built a 3 wheeled amphibious submarine thing. It was orange if I remember correctly.

My life would be much much easier if I had a submarine

I remember a thread over at SA where some posters were involved in building their own submarine, but I can’t remember if it’s the same one as this. (Edit: Oh wait, probably not, the SA guys had a more traditional-looking one.)

This is probably the SA submarine project you’re thinking of:

http://spammy.nu/showthread.php?t=10610

Am I the only one (aside from Jason) that noticed this:

“The seat has to be able to fold down into a bed. You know, in case you want to take a nap… or… whatever.” I asked Dalgleilsh if he’s building a sex sub. He paused a moment, and then… “Yeah.”

There’ a whole community of DIY submariners. Peter Madsen has had his maiden voyage in the much less sexy but actually working sub UC3.
http://sub-log.com/uc3_rollout

Where I used to work (a traditional wooden boatbuilders, they got asked to build a replica of the first wooden submarine for some TV show. My best mate worked on it. Here it is:

Sadly they built it after I’d left.

I think this would be a useful article for Theo Rex.

Nope! I do worry how that would affect the oxygen supply, though.

Uh uh uh uh AHH AHH OH GOD YES I… HURK! GASP!.. OH SHIT… CHOKE!.. WAIT, NO, DON’T PULL THAT! – <SPLOOOSH> BLURBBLBLBULLLGGH GGLAAHAGGGLLLLK…

…blub… blub… blub…

Yeah, not for me thanks. I get my kicks above the waterline, baby.