Social media controls the world

Social media posts has replaced casual emails. They’ve also replaced international calls. Do I have my friend from England’s phone number, sure. I called her about five years ago and I used to send her pc games but now I use Steam to gift her… 100% social media these days. We evolved.

Geez that is rough, condolences @Woolen_Horde. You would think the happy birthday exclamation point guy could figure this out on his own based on the other public posts?

Some of them go into auto pilot. It’s kind of like getting congratulations on LinkedIn. Some start selling Jamberry two years ago or something. I am not congratulating her on shoveling that stuff to her co-workers. Then again, You’d have to read it that the work anniversary you’re celebrating is that and not the other job she has, the real anniversary one.

You can send someone birthday wishes from your own page. That’s what I assume what’s happening. He gets the notification that it’s my brother’s birthday, and it offers a drop-down text box so he can just type in a message and send it.

But, yeah, I wonder how to broach it with him. “Hey, man, I’m his brother. Thank you for the kind thoughts, but he died in 2014…”

They’re going to feel awful when they found out how long it’s been :-(. I am so sorry you have to deal with that at all.

That is just bad software design. Has your brother’s Facebook page been memorialized officially?

Could have gone here or in the Neo-Nazi thread, but this place felt right.

It does, sorry about that! I think what has happened is that they are all replies to the same first tweet, rather than each being a reply to the preceding one. I’ll try to add something in to sort by messages by time order for these kind of cases.

I was on a forum with a guy for several years. We did fantasy sports together, he was the commissioner of the baseball league so I actually knew his real name and address. I knew he was married, his children were born and we would exchange stories.

I was surprised when between seasons he had a massive heart attack and died. I learned about it from other guys in the league, I saw his obit online. He wasn’t someone I had had lunch with (I have with others), but I felt like he was a friend.

And the hits keep on coming!

Haha they’re “older” is 37+. Dear lord. I hope they get hammered for the discrimination. It’s right up there with only advertising to whites only.

I like how accounts where people literally talk about killing all the black people don’t violate Twitter’s ToS.

Meanwhile random lawyers get banned for making Nazis have bad feelz.

The impersonator trolls seethed. Some tried changing their user names to evade the bot (it didn’t work). Others simply reverted to their openly neo-Nazi personas. A few even tried to impersonate the bot, which was vastly preferable from our perspective and rather amusing.

Then the problems began — but not from where you might expect. The Nazis realized they couldn’t beat the bot, so they started mass-reporting it to Twitter for “harassment.” Just as they duplicitously cast themselves as minorities, they disingenuously recast our response to their ongoing abuse as harassment.

Twitter sided with the Nazis.

This month, Twitter suspended the bot again, and this time refused to revive it. The company’s justifications were both entirely accurate and utterly absurd. “A large number of people have blocked you in response to high volumes of untargeted, unsolicited, or duplicative content or engagements from your account,” we were informed. This was true; Impostor Buster had been blocked by many neo-Nazis. “A large number of spam complaints have been filed against you.” Yes, by neo-Nazis. “You send large numbers of unsolicited replies or mentions.” Yes, to neo-Nazis.

I can see how Twitter would not want to allow a bot that, for a given list of people, posts “You’re a Nazi” after every tweet the people on that list make. Such a bot could be used to harass anyone, not just Nazis; and the bot in the article was pretty much just that simple.

Vigilantism should never be the first answer but when our institutions fail us, citizens will do what needs to be done.

That bot was our twitter-batman. It was the hero we deserved.

Per Buzzfeed, the top 10 fake news stories ranked by highest Facebook engagement — feels awfully Weekly World News.

inserting a baby into her vagina.
Huh.

You don’t really want to know.

#9 LOL

Look, sure you’re two of the top marine biologists in the world and have PhDs, but I’m a dude on Twitter who believes in conspiracies and has no proof, so obviously you’re wrong.