Social media controls the world

“Continuing our focus for 2018 to make sure the time we all spend on Facebook is time well spent…” LOL Zuck?

If you prepare for every possible calamity, you become immobile. Not sure how this applies to Facebook, since they probably saw signs very early. Maybe this is where government should step in.

I don’t do Facebook, but do people really want government sticking their nose into online social services. After Facebook would it be Twitter? And then what?

Government already has its nose in those services. It’s just Russia’s government.

Everybody do Facebook in Russia.

There are three options as far as I can tell:

1. Do nothing and let Facebook members govern themselves
  2. Let Facebook govern people
  3. Let the government govern people

Feel like this is as relevant now as it’s always been:
http://www.juliandibbell.com/texts/bungle_vv.html

tl;dr

Okay, I read that and it was very well written. I suppose they could have gotten Mr. Bungle for “lewd phone calls” since MOOs went over telephone lines at the time. That’s not possible today I guess due to how wide networks are distributed, jurisdiction, etc.

I am not blaming them because they couldn’t predict Russia was going to interrupt as a problem. I am blaming them for not thinking any political group would take advantage of their system. There is a reason a number of countries try to control of social media and internet content within their borders. The idea of propaganda and political influence has never been limited by borders.

I don’t know enough to blame them. From what I see a lot of social media excels in getting traffic but often struggles with monetizing it. I can see why they don’t dig deep into whomever is sending them money. Doesn’t make it right, of course.

I think if the question wasn’t asked, they don’t have the right people in the room. Them not coming to a solution , or even agreeing there needed to be a solution, that is a different issue and more like trying to impose upon them ability to see a crystal ball. I’m not asking for that.

It’s clear that they need to do better. Far too much bullshit gets put out and at first glance appears to have the same legitimacy as the NYTimes. There needs to be some gating, but FB doesn’t want to actively gate and they also don’t want to censor users. It’s a difficult task, but they are asking for us to patronize them so that engenders some responsibility on their part.

Hope they figure it out! For all us.

Good news, staying unpopular is still free.

I dunno, those services to expunge traces of yourself from the internet are pretty pricy. …

You seem to know a lot about it for an anonymous nobody… hey!

You would think there would be policies against this…

That heatmap data might reveal some base locations to third party actors (like ISIS or the like) but if you think foreign actors didn’t know these locations beforehand, you’re kidding yourself. There’s plenty of commercial and state-run satellite imagery available for these areas.

This does do a good job of showing how dumb people are though!