Social media controls the world

I might be able to convince the family, but the job? le sigh

Ug, actual businesses on Facebook are terribleā€¦ Especially when itā€™s their only web presence.

I almost never log into any application using my Facebook account. There are five Iā€™ve signed into since I had an account, all with companies that largely have my business already.

She says. On Twitter.

The more folks walk from facebook, the easier it will be to not have facebook.

Network effects work in reverse!

PREACH BROTHER

Dutch Girl Fakes a Trip to South East Asia [For University Project]

For five weeks Dutch student Zilla van den Born subjected her Facebook friends to the above, claiming to be travelling around South East Asia, when in reality she had never left her home city of Amsterdam. She went to extraordinary lengths to perpetuate the illusion, which was fed to her friends and family alike. The only person who knew the truth was her boyfriend.

The reasons behind her actions, however, are noble: it was all part of a university project, in which she wanted to show how Facebook activity is not necessarily reflective of real life.

https://www.gapyear.com/articles/travel-news/dutch-girl-fakes-a-trip-to-se-asia

So, related to the experiment that girl did, when I travel with friends, it is almost a given that one or more of them ask not to post their pictures to facebook or tag them in any updates on the platform. I think older people are more skeptical of anyone/everyone knowing their business. Meanwhile, I have a friend in her 30ā€™s who updates facebook for every one of her personal and business trips. Iā€™m just waiting for her house to get broken into and her acting dumb as to why that could happen to her.

When I travel, I donā€™t post that I am traveling or where I am going, although friends and family know, and my pictures are posted after I am back and relaxed, and itā€™s just the ones I want to share.

Social Media is fine in moderation.

These days I can see the ads and the articles disappear and appear on my FB News Feed. I think a big part of the issues is FB was not open with how they picked that information or what they shared, and I did not log into any random quiz sites or anything like that using FB. I donā€™t use FB as a log in for other accounts with a few minor exceptions for some contest and giveaway things from sites I already do regular business with.

I use it with moderation, but border on abandon at times. Certainly not as cautions as I should be on what I click there or the information I have on there, especially given the recent talk of what was stolen, aka entire profiles and friend relationships.

I really only need a minor excuse to cut back or delete it entirely, but as mentioned by others, family is why I continue to even be on it.

I have noticed, however, that the more I try to ignore it, the more I see notifications that turn out to be nothing of the sort. Some business in my area is having an event, or some friend of a friend made a post. Itā€™s like it is purposefully trying to force me to see things going on that arenā€™t there so I recheck it.

ā€œ1% of all communities initiate 74% of all conflicts on Reddit. The red nodes (communities) in this map initiate a large amount of conflict, and we can see that these conflict intiating nodes are rare and clustered together in certain social regions.ā€

https://snap.stanford.edu/conflict/

Never thought Iā€™d come close to a defence of Facebook, but at some point people need to take responsibility for the things they allow themselves to see, the news they allow in.

Filters in other words. Easier said than done but my worry is that all this flak Facebook is getting, for things people knew about years ago (in 2011 I did an experiment by changing my Facebook information to show how my information -fake in this case- was being bought and sold. I was temporarily a 45 year old divorcee turned lesbian. Made for interesting adverts) will distract from more fundamental, core issues with the Internet we have, namely the tendency to create echo chambers, build walls to keep others out and use the Internet to support whatever you want to believe (not change your beliefs based on the evidence, which is always naive anyway lol).

Sure, we destroy Facebook.

Then what?

Some other organisation will fill that vacuum.

Speaking of which, one has to wonder at how coordinated the attacks on Facebook seem recently. Which leads me to wonder who is benefitting from this?

While weā€™re all looking at Facebook what other stuff is going on?

And arenā€™t there various companies and individuals angling to take Facebook down a notch, now supposedly for our own good?

Rupert Murdoch springs to mind.

No conspiracy. Itā€™s just that everyone who would normally defend Facebook wants to be the one to twist the knife.

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/976501265512517632

Even Douthat is lukewarm in his defense

And that organization will hopefully have learned from the mistakes Facebook made. No one is going to mourn Sears when itā€™s gone, they fucked up and better stores are replacing them. Subway fucked up and continues to fuck up and Panera is moving in to replace them. Thatā€™s ok, thatā€™s how a free market should work.

Everyoneā€™s so attached to Facebook because they still donā€™t have a real competitor. People want to communicate with friends and family online. I donā€™t know what you replace Facebook with, maybe nothing. Maybe weā€™ll be better off without it.

Do you really think that things are only replaced by better things? If that was true wouldnā€™t the world be a much better place?

Things fail for various reasons, that doesnā€™t mean that the things that replace them are somehow better.

I donā€™t do Facebook and Subway sucks. I will mourn the loss of Sears though, at least until I find an alternative. And no, shopping online isnā€™t an alternative for everything.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.