Social media controls the world

That really explains why most people in America describe themselves as above average drivers, and how angry people get when you point out that it’s very unlikely that they are an above average driver. Or how the adoption of self driving cars will probably be a lot safer for the majority of people.

Yes, people who are predisposed to fear (don’t like change) generally slant conservative and the grifters in the RWM ecosystem know this (there’s a lot of money to be had by preying on these fears). No appeal to reason or facts is ever going to reach (most of) them. That’s why propaganda works, and has since forever - only now it propagates nearly instantaneously. I’m not entirely sure we haven’t already passed the point of no return.

(What I don’t understand is why these people are fearful - i.e. is that learned behavior?)

those are my initials…and my ecosystem is fine :)

You just THINK it is. You’re incapable of objectively evaluating it!

10/10

Not super-fucking creepy at all. Now I’m gonna have to trawl through all my data that I downloaded to see if all my calls are in there.

How does Facebook have access to your calls and texts? Did you give their app access to that stuff?

Makes me feel superior for never logged into facebook from my phone. Well, more superior - I was already pretty sure not using facebook much was a virtue.

Messenger app has full access to basically everything on your phone.

I am not sure about calls, but Facebook Messenger took over my text messages on my Smartphone after one update. I uninstalled messenger and never put it back on again. I sent some feedback too telling them how not cool it was that it took over the inherent messenger like that; I’m sure they ignored that as they do most feedback.

This has been known from day 1 of Messenger, and some sites called it out. I never installed Messenger for this reason, I didn’t want their “partners” to have access to my calls and texts.

If only I knew their partners were Russian agents!

2014:

Mine was for Android, and I only had it on my phone for maybe a month. I told everyone not to PM me on Facebook because I didn’t have it on my phone. I gave in for a brief time, and then took it off again. When I downloaded the FB archive, I don’t see any calls logged. I also kind of remember to tell it to f off when it asked for my contacts though… my Google Contacts.

Fortunately, I never had Messenger installed, and after going over my data, I don’t see any phone calls listed. Still hella creepy though. It’s not worth their spyware just so I can see who I knew in high school that ended up in jail.

It’s actually become very handy for the High School Reunion piece, meeting up at local events… it’s the only place I really get local events and sales at the moment.

I’m on an ancient S4, and my messenger and texting apps are entirely different (note: I don’t have the Facebook app, just Facebook Messenger).

I have a different application too but Facebook took over the default app, and if it really told you it was snug in the look we can do now instead of the we’re taking over all your stuff section.

You can see some news on it here.

of course they spun it like it was some great positive but what it swallowed my default messenger and got itself uninstalled as a result. I never looked back.

Yeah, that’s horrible.

What I don’t remember is anyone mentioning calls then. i don’t know when that happened. I don’t see to have call logs, so I assume it’s messenger too. For the sms takeover, you could tell it was Facebook. It was the visual change that caused me to look it up and uninstall the thing. I have zero tolerance for that sort of thing.

The permissions for app on phones though… sucks overall. So many ask for everything, and while you can say no to everything then why have a smartphone at all?

Yeah, agreed. I don’t know if it was a walk-back or just a platform/device limitation, but mine is thankfully isolated. I can still do FB calls from the Messenger app, but the app doesn’t take over my normal calls or SMS.