Social media controls the world

No offense wumpus, but you sound like the Senator that basically told the world that the Internet is not required for functioning as a human being. You know what else is not required to function as a human being, ice-cream, cake, electricity, cars with fun buttons on them, designer clothes… I say we just get rid of everything right… All we need are a few stranded cities and some kids on horses to keep everyone connect. I saw this on the Postman once. It worked out great of course… in the end they wound up with all those again.

You know what else is not required for human functioning… cell phones, or forums for people to get together and talk about stuff. We probably don’t need that either.

I have literally no idea what point you’re making. Not even joking. I’ve read it twice.

edit: my point is that if Facebook is a de-facto public utility it should be regulated as a public utility.

Anybody else reading the back and forth of this conversation in real time?

You are out of your mind if you think you’re going to wake up one morning and get rid of Social Media because you believe humanity can live without it. It is right up there with TV rotting your brain.

Nothing about what I asked?

Is getting rid of Social Media the same as getting rid of Facebook? If so, why? If not, why not?

Go talk to some kids, and try really, really hard, not to be creepy about it. Roll back time and think about how many other times we could say that… is getting rid of AOL getting rid of the internet? Well no but… maybe getting rid of the biggest player in the market, especially when they gave us unlimited internet and everyone else was charging by the hour might have lead to some… unforeseen outcomes?

This is not welcoming. :(

I don’t want him to go talk to some random kids and ask them why they like Facebook. That would be creepy. It does not mean wumpus is creepy.

That makes one of us. I think the filmed results would be fascinating.

Heh, well no.

I apologize if that came off as insulting to wumpus. I just get the impression that some people aren’t around the young much around here and don’t know that Social Media has become almost the sole means of communication for some people outside of face to face conversations. They don’t even text anymore.

WHY DO YOU LIKE FACEBOOK

trumpmow-1505502580

(sorry, I had the mental image in my head and had to create this to stop giggling)

Can someone explain to me why facebook is too big to fail, so can’t be lost? I’d think if the number one social media site disappeared, others sites would rush into the void and fill in that exact same need. The question is if the new dominant platform would really be any better.

I still don’t have a facebook account (and at this point, I’m damn glad I don’t.) I’m not dead, and continue to have no trouble finding work (and I have a linked in account, if I really need something social media-wise to find work, it’s available.)

While I see the attractiveness of some of the networking features, I don’t understand the necessity of facebook (the company) any more than I find AT&T to now be necessary to have a cell phone.

I guffawed. Thanks!

In the yo-yo community the kids mostly use Instagram, not Facebook. Still part of the same machine, but very different usage patterns.

Also I have three kids of my own (do you?) and I can ask them when the time comes. I hope you don’t consider that “creepy”, I guess?

@wumpus please reply.

Well don’t forget WhatsApp. Yeah they’re in a few but Facebook is still… huge.

It’s not that it can’t be lost. A new application could easily show-up and replace it. I just don’t see a good argument for making it fail by design by say the government. That doesn’t fix the problem, it just shoves it under the rug so it come out on the other side somewhere else.

I wasn’t the one making that statement, it was the Facebook guy. Do I believe that infinite always on connectivity between every human being on the planet is an unambiguous good? Clearly it is not. I remember seeing some recent research showing that engaging with fewer people online , rather than more, leads to better outcomes.

That’s fair about Disney, but I’d also say that since those were stories before they were Disney movies, the Disney taint need not apply. And there’s plenty of other fairy tales out there you could say similar things about.

I definitely agree with this. Breaking up/shutting down/regulating-into-failure Facebook or any other social network doesn’t prevent online bullying, racist behavior, ridiculous over-reach on data privacy, etc. It just means someone else will pick up the slack. We need to find ways to allow people to connect with incentives for good behavior, and disincentives for bad. Right now there’s very little of either kind of incentive in the social media world.

If you haven’t read the original versions, grab a Kleenex and be prepared to have your childhood ruined. I love Disney movies though. That’s not sarcasm… II just acknowledge what they are.