Social media controls the world

Facebook will now use 50% of your CPU and GPU to mine coins while you browse!

What’ll be the going conversion rate for Facecoin and the Ruble?

It doesn’t really matter, they bought Instagram and Whatsapp and those were critical. Throwing in a few mistakes like Oculus is just white noise relative to how huge those are, and will be.

Part of this article is about Facebook being really good at auto-flagging nudity and lousy at removing terrorists.

But what really got my attention (though should I have not been surprised?) was:

In the first quarter, Facebook disabled about 583 million fake accounts

Over half a Billion? Yikes. I guess this is starting from having removed zero since the start of Facebook?

As many people pointed out, Twitter doesn’t give you a reason. So stop doing whatever made us go after you, which is a totally legit reason that we can’t tell you.

Meanwhile the person that gets you banned gets told why you were banned.

So this whole Buffalo Wild Wings thing got me thinking. Here in cased you missed it:

Typical employee goes AWOL with company account, etc, etc.

What I’m starting to wonder though, is how long before we see companies have a way to punish these people legally? I mean obviously this dude is fired (assuming it isn’t a hack), but if a company could prove damages because of something like this, I could see them adding legal action to the mix.

I think as time goes on and these things happen, companies are going to start looking for ways to destroy people who do it. Most of them own enough legislators that I could see bills being passed or the like and the inevitable potential 1st Amendment conflicts.

Unless working the social media accounts of a large corporation or a restaurant pays more than I think it does, what exactly would they get? I suspect there aren’t a lot of resources to be taken if they are after money, and they’re fired which is
 about as much an employer can do to you unless you break a law.

A lot of words for saying, I doubt it would be worth it for them to take more legal action than firing. I would oust them though, just to make sure everyone knew who it was but there are some, admittedly, logical debates about that. It’s not an internet mob I am after though, just making it impossible for them to get a job with access to public like this
 for a while at least.

They wont care about the money, but the threat of having your life destroyed is something they’d like. As it is, there’s almost no reason not to do it on the way out the door, which is bad for big companies with social media presences (basically all of them).

If they could find a way to sue for defamation in some roundabout way, it would be a likely deterrent to anyone working that position. I mean a joke is funny, but being in debt forever to Arby’s for shit on Twitter
 not so much.

I LOL’ed a little at the “secret ingredient” tweet because it was so insane.

I suppose if the lawyers are bored they could pick this up. The number of people being fired though and the number times these accounts are taken over by vengeful not hacker people
 I’d suspect it’s very few that are doing this. And maybe they are going after these individuals, quietly. Who can say?

There are already plenty of legal means to pursue these people if they wanted to, but presumably they figure it’s not worth their time. It’s almost certainly going to be breach of contract. It would very likely be unauthorised use of a computer (or whatever the US equivalent is).

But it’s totally cool. They pinky promised not to do anything bad with it.

There are days I just want to throw my cell phone in the ocean and never use one again. Am I the only one?

Nope.

I’m glad I stopped using Facebook years ago and never installed their app on my phones.

Man y’all are a bunch of grumps. I’ve never felt more connected or engaged with folks than I do now. And I don’t consider that engagement to be superficial or meaningless, far from it. I’m hanging out with different groups of people multiple times a week, forging fast friendships and meaningful relationships in the process, and social services like FB, Hangouts, Meetup, and the like are massive enablers of doing that quickly, easily, and reliably. Losing that ease of connection would be incredibly discouraging and frustrating. I remember the bad old days of trying to plan large group activities via passed notes in class and phone calls between all individuals involved before everyone left their houses because once you’re out and about you’re totally disconnected. It sucked ass :)

I guess if that’s what you want, social media is your huckleberry – not sure what that means, but I’ve always liked that line from Tombstone!

I actually enjoy not being accessible. If I am busy with something I don’t need to be connected or feel a need to respond to a text. It’s freeing to me.