Social media controls the world

I’m assuming you are being sincere, and I will agree. I am connected to friends and family and people that would be a once or twice every few years otherwise kind of people. I enjoy the connection. I think it adds value, but I do treat social media, no matter what the setting, like it is something anyone anywhere in the world will see. All the time.

I don’t like social media because of my visceral and visually stunning hatred for my fellow man.

I think that’s a matter of setting reasonable expectations with folks, not an inherent flaw in cellphones. If you have people in your life who treat not being replied to at a moment’s notice as a grievous faux pas, they’re the issue, not the iPhone!

I mean, I can’t identify with the idea of not wanting to be accessible at all because I’m the most ridiculous sort of extrovert imaginable, but hey, you do you, Mark!

Utterly so. The internet was a massive revelation to me as a young man stuck at home with his very controlling, overprotective parents way out in the sticks far enough away that walking or biking to see people wasn’t at all feasible. Luckily my parents didn’t quite understand the internet well enough to regulate it as much as they probably wish they had :). But anyway, being able to reach out and connect with friends and even strangers so easily and quickly was incredible to me then, and having it be such a de facto norm nowadays is just endlessly exciting for me.

NOT ALL MANS KEVINC

Hmm. A Guide to Understanding Introverts.

Interestingly, at least a few of my more introverted close friends, when polled, reported that they found online interactions significantly less draining and onerous than in-person interactions. To the point that it’s their preferred method of communication. So it’s one I leverage heavily for those who’ve expressed that preference. I recognize I’m a needy extroverted wacko and try not to overly impose on my friends who need their alone-time :)

This is, of course, separate from the folks with anxiety, who often do find the mounting notification counters (nevermind “unsolicited” texts or even–god forbid!–phone calls) very taxing, but for different reasons, and who thus call for different forms of reaching out.

Your friends who said online is less draining are a lot like me.

What I find is that largish groups are more difficult for me than being with one or two people. At a bigger gathering I find myself listening to a group and the topics are typically uninteresting so I begin to zone out.

For example, I could be sitting at a bar and have a nice conversation with the bartender or the person next to me, but put me at a table with another 3-4 people and it makes me antsy after awhile.

This seems like it belongs here. I just don’t know what makes someone pull out a phone and do this other than a complete lack of self-awareness and consideration for other living beings… maybe.

A somewhat similar thing happened here at work a couple of months ago. There’s a rooftop bar on the building I work in at South Lake Union and a lady committed suicide by jumping off. One of the building employees took a picture of her body from whatever floor he works on and posted it to Twitter and then got in a bunch of trouble with his employer as well as building security.

Oh dear lord. I can see where taking a picture might be helpful for say the authorities, but never for social media, not when people are hurt or dying or stuff like that. It’s a little more grey when it’s like protests or events you’re in but these two… it just makes me wonder what they were thinking when they upload this stuff.

The meme is essentially people attributing violent, homophobic language — in particular, the use of the slur “faggot” — to Brown and saying that she attacked them or tried to run them over with her car. Edits of Brown’s social media pictures are paired with hateful comments and the hashtag #TakeDownMillieBobbyBrown.

tl;dr - Gay Twitter, a subset of Twitter that posts LGBT stuff, also routinely picks a celebrity (usually one that Gay Twitter understands is actually quite supportive of LGBT issues) and makes up a bunch of fake homophobic images supposedly from that celebrity as a dark ironic joke. In this case, Millie Bobby Brown was picked, but the jokes bled out into regular Twitter. She in turn started getting harassed by people that did not understand the that the images were faked.

So that’s how you drive a teenager off Twitter.

Yeah I saw that. It don’t understand the original humor, or the need to target teens. I don’t get swatting either, and that’s happening to teens too.

I hope this does not drive her away from her art and just joy in general.

People who don’t understand Twitter, yet live on it amaze me.

apparently, sick burns are how you build brand awareness on twitter now

My interest in miracle whip was increased by that tweet though, despite knowing that it is disgusting.

God it’s so bad. I’m not one of those “freshly hand-whipped or GTFO” mayo purists or anything, but let’s be honest here, if you’re not buying Duke’s, you’re probably a Trump-voting pedophile.

Is dukes some kind of trash that people who are too poor for Helman’s eat?

Never heard of Duke’s.

And mayo is so over used.