Social media controls the world

Sadly, I have tried it while visiting London. You basically taste vinegar and it burns away any other flavor there is. Now, on the upside, considering how bad English cooking is (thank god for the commonwealth), or at least was in the 90’s, maybe it was for the best that vinegar was the only flavor left.

I believe that the only function of French fries is to hold the sauce of your choice. So people who put malt vinegar on them really just like malt vinegar. But people give you weird looks when you just toss back some malt vinegar straight from the bottle, so, French fries.

Haters gonna hate.

Then you either just eat fast food fries. Really good fries can be great on their own. Potatoes have flavor ya know?

Even fast food fries can be good. See the fries from Killer Burger I had last night. Fresh, perfect crispy exterior, and just the right amount of salt.

Okay. You’re right. Five Guys fries, still hot, are damn good. And they are skin on. I was thinking of BK fries and the like. And McD’s fries when they still used lard were amazing.

This is so far off topic you guys. Can I get a topic split? I think there is an interesting food topic buried in here where nobody will ever be able to find it again. Cc @Telefrog

In addition to the other story posted about the buybacks, they also got sued by Unilever (makers of the shitty Hellman’s brand *spit* mayo) for not actually being mayo.

Unilever eventually dropped the suit, probably after they realized their legal argument re: eggs in mayo actually could be used against some of their own products.

We used to do that, but my daughters now make an aioli for it. I have seen melted butter used as well.

Good french fries don’t need anything on them but salt.

Good condiments don’t need anything in them but French fries.

When done properly you get the perfect balance of vinegar, salt and grease coating fluffy potato. The chance of finding this anywhere south of Nottingham is miniscule, sadly.

Salt and grease are of course two of the key elements of traditional British cookery.

In London I would expect anaemia floppy thin things which even with the best condiments are pretty irredemable

The third being water, naturally.

I don’t disagree but every country has a place that can do something right. That seems hard to find in the British Isles.

I have had good ‘indian’ food at a pub in London once.

Butter is the more common thing I should try making an aoili next time though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Tea! Seriously, I have no idea what native food the Brits would point to, but I’m sure London has many fantastic restaurants. They are all probably highlighting non-British cuisine, though.

Irn Bru is really good… um… yeah, and tea as Mark mentioned. That’s about it.

Youtube use algorithms to censor videos. They apply these filters to old videos. With the 3 strike system if you get 3 of these claims, they delete all your videos.
This put many content authors in terror of literally losing all their work of 10 years uploading content.

Is a great tool to force authors to conform to self-censorship rules.

Maybe even better than good, because even since people that follow the letter and the text of the rules will get strikes. Because learning algoriths have false positives.

Having algorithms for content may make sense for youtube, if where people family videos, but is just wrong when you have content creators.

I always found the breakfast food in England to be pretty good. I mean, Weetabix is a crime against humanity, sure, but a good soft-boiled egg with toast and some English country sausage is a nice way to start a day.

There are some great Brit porter beers too.

Any dinner in England that isn’t imported from the sub-continent is just an exercise in self-flaggilation.

Kind of an amazing stat. I knew Twitter bots were prevalent but had no clue it was this big.

Yeah, beer is the obvious one, though it’s less of an accomplishment now that most countries have a craft beer scene.

I love a good English breakfast (though I tend to do it with American style streaky bacon rather than British style back bacon), but I’m not going to claim it’s haute cuisine.

There are plenty of great restaurants in London purporting to do English/British cuisine (off the top of my head: St John, Lyle’s, The Ivy, Temple & Sons), but it’s definitely a small minority of the great restaurants in London.