Social media controls the world

“A lie travels around the world while the truth is still putting its boots on,” now proven with science.

It’s a menace everywhere:

Sometimes Social media controlling the world isn’t the worse thing.

do a google image search on the word idiot

You will laugh.

I learned about this via Facebook.

Clearly a smoke and mirrors operation from Facebook to distract you.

Can someone with some business acumen ELI5? I don’t understand this:

Revenue, fueled by mobile advertising sales, increased 42 percent to $13.2 billion in the quarter, Facebook said Wednesday in a statement. Analysts projected $13.3 billion. The quarter marked the first time Facebook had missed analysts’ revenue projections since 2015.

They missed their projection so bad dog?

From what I’m reading it’s more that their forecasts for the rest of the year have been lowered (with implications for further in the future) than what happened during the quarter.

Ok, that makes a little more sense (still and all, a company making billions per quarter doesn’t seem like a candidate for a drastic stock hit, unless it’s just over valued to begin with.)

Remember stores should be able to refuse service to black people, but Twitter has to let the Nazis threaten to kill folks.

Because reasons.

Also “illegal”.

Edit: Also someone set off a bomb outside our embassy in China, but this is more important.

For those curious, unsurprisingly, Trump is wrong and Twitter isn’t shadowbanning. While an interesting thought experiment, I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a platform that used shadowbanning in real life. (Although, I guess if you know they do, it kind of defeats the purpose).

Bingo. It was overvalued to begin with. What it just lost in market cap was equivalent to e.g. 3 Ford motor companies, or half of Exxon Mobil.

This highlights the absurdity of the stock market. Revenue up 42% and profit up 37%, on incredibly high base numbers, and is seen as totally horrible. Because profit has to rise in tandem or higher than revenue. Can’t share profit with staff, give to community or anything like that, if anything need to offshore more and cut costs.

But that’s the way it works and it’s better to be invested than other means of savings.

Also maybe the fact that Facebook sucks is part of it.

Some of it is just that it bounced up too high after the previous crash from the privacy stuff. Facebook didn’t seem to crash and burn or particularly lose users/money, so after a while nobody cared and the price went back up. Now Facebook’s own execs are saying, “well this IS going to cost us soon” so price tank back down.

Hacker News definitely does shadowbanning. You can know since they also have a feature you can enable to see all posts that were killed for any reason (either killed by users flagging it, killed manually by the moderators, or killed automatically due to the user being shadow-banned).

It’s a cruel practice. Very sad to notice that somebody was shadowbanned years ago for some minor misstep, not realize that, and then continue posting good messages despite nobody ever replying to them.

Reddit has done it. There was an AMA about it.

Gawker used to do it too

I’m doing it right now. Here in the bathroom.