Social media controls the world

More likely: “Bob didn’t see anything wrong with the Tweet at the time. He was also running late to a rally and didn’t want to miss the lighting of the cross.”

More likely - Balaji didn’t see anything wrong in the 2 seconds he was allocated to review the tweet and moved on to the other 9,998 he had to review for the day.

So is he going to leave us hanging or tell us what category they created?

Literally white genocide conspiracy theories.

https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/1058423208800591872

Hahahahaha

But they internally call it “conspiracy” theory, so it can’t be taken seriously, right? A technocrat said so.

My brain caught up with me today. I realized that Twitter is terrible by structure, and even worse by Jack Dorsey. I can’t, in good conscience, continue to read, respond, or participate in that platform. It amplifies everything bad about discourse and muffles everything good. I deactivated my account and will stop obsessively checking my favorite feeds.

Facebook is next. I’ve quit facebook before and when I rejoined, I’ve been very very selective about who I include on my friends list. And I never post anything that’s not personal to it. But it also is in the business of destroying civil society.

There’s an interesting twitter alternative called counter.social that you might like.

It’s still a social media thing, but it’s less terrible than Twitter. Runs on the mastodon open source social network framework.

My only use of Twitter is a RSS feed for games and game developers I’m interested in. It works okay for that purpose, but no idea why it’s been so successful of a platform for people to really try to communicate through.

Thanks! That actually does look pretty cool, and I like the informal tone and emphasis on user security. But all I really used Twitter for was to read feeds, so I’ll probably just do without, at least for a bit, but I hope something like C-S catches on.

There are in fact some folks on counter.social from “the real world”, like Will Wheaton. But it’s definitely nowhere near the size of Twitter.

It was created by The Jester, which is why it has a focus on security, and also why it bans users from a number of hostile nations.

WRT to that first tweet? Both groups are probably right.

Probably, which is why I find it an interesting issue in a lot of ways.

I trend towards less anonymity. Because, sure they can do it to you, but if they weren’t anonymous it would probably be easier to take legal action against them. A lot of the problems stem from the harassers being insulated/being able to endlessly make new accounts to threaten and harass people. If they got a visit from the police because you knew who they were and where they lived… in theory that would be a strong counter weight.

Assuming we could get law enforcement to stop treating the internet as “not real”. They’ve come around a lot in recent years, so there is hope.

Are they though? I mean look at Facebook… people with their actual names posting horrific and vile stuff. How do we know it’s their real name… they get fired in the coming weeks once it’s spread, often by some other social media like Twitter.

They’re not really ashamed of what they’re doing or saying. It’s rarely a one off or a bad day, and the only thing that really surprises them is that they can get fired.

I mean, isn’t that kinda the point? The lack of anonymity attaches consequences to that situation.

So sure it won’t stop shitbirds, in the short term, but in the long term once word of consequence reaches? Maybe.

Honestly I’d favor some sort of two tier identification. One that is public facing, can be anonymous. The other, like metadata, is not. This is not public, but is possible to link back to a person when legally nessecary. Like, you shouldn’t be able to find out the name and address of some person on whatever social media platform if they don’t want you to. But if you go around and SWAT someone? Then there is a way to track that anonymous is to a source.

Obviously there are technical hurdles that anyone sufficiently invested can get around. And how do you attach a global media platform to a positively identified person? You can’t do it by IP address, by device gets super crazy and fast.

I could map out many problems and solutions to both sides of my argument. Which is the trouble. How do you create a semi anonymous system that allows you to catch potential school shooters or SWATTers, or other serious criminal activity without creating a massive problem like now exposing any former Muslim activists living in Saudi Arabia to now being rounded up by the government.

That’s the answer I’ve never been satisfactorily been able to answer, other than straight up saying ‘we won’t answer to government requests from countries X,Y,Z’ which will likely cause them to be locked out of said regimes.

Also no need point out the problems of giving someone like Trump such problems. While it would be nice to say that any disclosure would require an appropriate warrant from the correct law enforcement level (state, county, federal judge or whatever), we know they all too often just act as a rubber stamp to perform the proper vetting for appropriateness of cause.

Seems like a decent starting place at least.

I kind of get the idea that people think other people will be less shitty if their names are revealed. I don’t agree with that statement. I think the number of people doing things anonymously, especially now, that they wouldn’t do in person isn’t as large as maybe you think. Those people out there being dirt bags online are also dirt bags at home, but the people at home excuse it or ignore it and then days later act like, oh my gosh I had no idea that the kid with twenty Nazis based magazines in his room might favor white supremacy online. Him being anonymous is a veil, barely a smoke screen, but it’s not out of nowhere.

I mean we have an issue on this very site… and at least one person literally knows who that other person is… no behavioral difference, at all.

I feel like we can be guaranteed that if you take the anonymous out of the internet, it’s not the the people targeting who will suffer but the people who are the targets. And don’t tell me it will be hidden… because I am not sure I have an account that hasn’t been stolen left.

Yeah, the entire thing does rely on these organizations having security that isn’t a joke, and we know that isn’t remotely the case.

I’m not firmly entrenched in either camp. I can see the pros and cons on both sides of it.