Social media controls the world

There in lies the rub. Any system that makes it easier to track nefarious users is also making it more precarious for those who would be targeted.

And like I said, it isn’t nessecarially behavior, it’s consequence. So many problems stem from the initial source of lack of consequence. Those Nazis who have been caught out and lost their jobs? More of that please.

However I am keenly aware of exactly the issues this raises. Which is why I can’t in good conscience advocate for such changes. It’s a problem equally technological as it is social.

And until police start taking doxing, swatting, online threats, and abuse more seriously I feel that any such system would cause more harm than good. Because the I’ll intended would be empowered, and the police would still shrug.

That cultural change needs to happen first. And with current attitudes towards police reform from the Right? Good luck.

We’re in agreement here. Maybe in the future it would be different but I feel like if police did change and people stopped coddling these individuals with their vile and violent behaviors… then we probably wouldn’t need the system either.

I think the tweet violated Twitter’s terms of service. And I think it was a dick thing to do in the first place. That said, I don’t know why the term ‘dox’ is being applied when 1) Yglesias is a public figure who makes a living advertising his opinions, and 2) he does so openly, not anonymously, and 3) his address is a matter of public record.

Every other Qt3’er:

Jeff Tweedy sums it up nicely.

People didn’t have immediate access to like-minded individuals back then, and you couldn’t find your tribe on the internet. That’s one of the best things about the internet, even though people have figured out how to exploit it before they’ve figured out how to make it into something utopian. The fact that people can sidestep so much loneliness by finding so many like-minded people at their fingertips would be heartwarming if it wasn’t so fucking devastatingly terrible for the world.

Turns out, some tribes are bad.

Meanwhile on Twitter, zero fucks are still given.

Yeah, I’m not regretting turning Twitter off.

Blockbuster article from the NYTIMES

Also, way to go, Chuck Schumer.

And now that the cat is out of the bag

That might suck. I like my echo, it plays me the news in the morning.

Do you also talk about creating murder victims?

I’m sure it came up a time or two during my divorce! ;)

Probably not, but giving the government a free wiretap they don’t even need a warrant for is… not a great idea.

While I share the general sentiment, it took a judge’s order for them to make use of it. What I’m actually curious about is just how much is still stored.