Soda

A&W Root Beer > Fanta Root Beer* > Mugs > Hires > EVERYTHING ELSE > Barq’s

• Do they still sell Fanta? I loved that when I was a kid

I once read somewhere that when it comes to purchases at grocery and convenience stores, Pepsi actually outsells Coke. However, Coke has managed to get a lot of exclusivity deals with places like movie theaters, restaurant chains and theme parks. I can’t really back any of this up, as I can’t remember where I read it, but it certainly makes sense to me. Universal and Disney both sell only Coke on their property, which includes between them* eight parks, two large shopping districts and well over a dozen hotels. AMC and Regal theaters both only sell Coke. Same with McDonalds, Wendy’s and Burger King. The only chain restaurants where one can reliably get Pepsi are at former PepsiCo owned restaurants, such as KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, and, for whatever reason, Dunkin’ Donuts.

*Florida only.

My most common drink is Swedish mineral water (usually of the citrus or pear varieties), but in Germany, Apfelschorle was an addiction. Tried a few bottles of Ubuntu Cola a few weeks ago, and that was pretty neat.

Six Flags parks serve only Diet Coke, as do a lot of big Universities (Mine included)

Nestea or Lemonade, but since Sprite is up there I’ll go with that.

Do you guys have much Fanta down in the states? I see it all the time up here.

You guys asking about Fanta need to read that market data link Phil provided.

:-)

I read somewhere that Pepsi Max is aimed at the aging former Mountain Dew drinkers. Pepsi found they were losing customers as the customers aged, mostly because the old guys realized they didn’t need that extra thousand calories of corn syrup every day. Can’t find the link to that, though.

I picked “Other” based on the three sodas I keep around for my personal consumption. Pepsi Max, Diet Sunkist, and Diet A&W Cream Soda. I will vary the brands of orange & cream soda depending on price, but the Pepsi Max is a constant.

I’m surprised at all the love for Pepsi Max. I drank one once and thought my heart was about to give out. For about an hour after drinking it, I felt overcome with a murderous rage. It wasn’t pleasant.

[quote=Phil_Stein;1624814]A few observations:

1. I remember a few brands that have faded into obscurity over the years - Mr. Pibb, Mello Yellow, RC Cola, as well as a few variants of more mainstream brands that didn’t cut it - Crystal Pepsi and 7 Up Gold. None are particularly missed (by me).

RC is still kicking.

http://www.rccolainternational.com/

I had a Mr. Pibb on Monday, and Mello Yello’s are still around, it just seems like they disappeared because of the OMGXTREEEEEEM commercials for Mountain Dew, which tastes the same as Mello Yello to me.

RC is still kicking.

http://www.rccolainternational.com/

I had a Mr. Pibb on Monday, and Mello Yello’s are still around, it just seems like they disappeared because of the OMGXTREEEEEEM commercials for Mountain Dew, which tastes the same as Mello Yello to me.

I put Diet Coke, but I meant Diet, Caffiene Free Coke. Close enough, though. They taste about the same.

Have any kids yet? The incredible levels of sleep deprivation we endured during our kids’ early childhoods gave my wife & me phenomenal levels of caffeine tolerance.

Diet Dr. Pepper (DDP) I used to be on the real stuff, but I quit and lost 40lbs.

What’s the difference between restaurant and convenience store fountains besides convenience stores being a little inconsistent with their mixing proportions sometimes? And I assume you mean plastic bottle? Glass bottles are awesome. Plastic bottles are convenient but taste awful for soda.

As for the macro sodas, I’m partial to Pepsi, like my father before me, and his father before him. Some guys inherit titles; my forebears imbued me with a distaste for Coke.

Yeah, I actually grew up drinking Diet Coke thanks to my dad (large amounts of sugar increase the occurrence of these strange headaches he gets that are very similar to migraines that a dozen doctors over 2 decades have never diagnosed or treated). So that whole “drink Diet instead of regular and lose X amount of weight!” deal never worked out for me, which sucked ass.

I made a brief move to Arizona’s Diet Green teas, since their 0-net-carb White Cran-Apple was ludicrously good. . . but then they cycled flavors and dropped it.

Water and Crystal Light knockoff when I can afford a tub of it now. . . and Diet Coke when I visit the fam :)

Nonetheless, trust me, getting yourself to the pre-diabetic stage without ever drinking HCFS-laced drinks is very fucking hard. My simple carbohydrate intake was, in a word, “unfathomable”!

Go me!

To whoever worried about the fates of RC and Mello Yellow: worry not. They are doing well enough down South. No respectable victim-of-abuse housewife would stock her trailer’s cabinets with anything else.

Yeah, we all know there is no spousal abuse in Boston. Seriously dude, wtf??

I loved loved loved the Berries n Cream Dr. Pepper they had for awhile, but I haven’t seen it for quite a while now. It had a weird addictive quality that I really can’t shake…it tasted almost, but not exactly, entirely unlike berries and cream mixed with Dr. Pepper.

Bar that, I’ll just take a Coke.

I grew up in LA, VA, and TN, moved to Boston for college.

People up here know better than to publicly air their dirty laundry. Teenage pregnancies are quickly aborted and shoved under the carpet, women have extra-marital affairs with pool boys to make up for the debilitation effects of years of physical abuse, and I presume that old cars are taken to chop shops or sold back rather than sitting up on cinderblocks in the front yard (the distinct lack of front yards doesn’t hurt, either).

As compared to a third of my graduating HS class having a baby already or pregnant at the time. Or the dozen cases within my own circle of friends of various kinds of physical and mental abuse that were showcased to visitors in the home on a nightly basis. Or, you know, the half dozen 70s-era cars jacked up on blocks on every fucking street.

Sorry, I have a bit of a complex about the South now that I’ve finally scraped my way out of it.

Hard core Diet Coke addict here. I’m trying really hard to cut back on the stuff as it stains the fuck out of my teeth but drinking ice water is no fun when you’re on a 6 hour gaming binge :{