Sol: Last Days of a Star throws a graceful apocalypse party and everyone's invited

The thought that I’d be getting Douglas Adams kept me away from Pratchett for a long time.

There is certainly goofy comedy to be had in his books, but they’re also complex and full of surprises, and often surprisingly deep. I was blown away by The Night Watch, a novel that’s so many-layered and complicated that it’s hard to figure out what possessed him to even try to write it. It’s a police procedural social-realist story about people fighting in the streets during a bloody revolution, with time travel and a serial killer. It’s very funny, too, but it is also deadly serious.

I also like Going Postal, wherein he decides that his medieval-fantasy universe is the ideal setting for telling the story of the Internet. It’s also a good novel, once you stop goggling at the insanity of the undertaking and just read it on its own terms.

His characters are indelible. In book after book the same minor characters appear, growing and changing with the years, characters that may have started out as throwaway jokes but kept turning into people. There are 132 cards in the Discworld game, and nearly all of them depict characters who appear in several novels. It’s easy to fall in love with them, even the awful ones.

I don’t mean to make this sound daunting. His books are breezy and fun, and even if you read only one you’ll enjoy it. But after two or three you start to feel like you’re onto something.

Hmmm. A UK retailer is offering it for £52. Sounds like that’s something of a bargain (especially given that it’s not a European game). Might take a punt on this one. Any of the QT3 London gamers up for it?

hm. bought it for 79€ … Spirit Island was a really good recommendation, so this review left me with no choice, too!

The UK retailer was out of stock so I ended up buying it direct. Shipping was $15, which seems surprisingly reasonable for a board game. Guess we’ll see if I get whacked with a customs charge.

Oof. I did the same, and forgot about that possibility. I guess VAT and associated fee will be the main thing; I don’t think it’s enough to trigger Customs (unless you ordered multiple copies).

How can you have missed on his work? His Death is extraordinary, amongst others…

I didn’t even want to bring up Death, because one’s first encounter with Death is best when unprepared for.

I think I am going to play solo with the music from Sunshine

Looks like there is an EU distribution centre, so we should avoid VAT and customs.

Yeah, seems like it’s being dispatched by the retailer that said it was out of stock, funnily enough.

Hmmm!

What I always found amazing about Pratchett is that his books always feel silly as they start, and gradually without noticing the serious parts start worming their way in, and by the climax you actually care about the characters and the humor is (mostly) gone and it’s just a well-written story with an actual message.

btw, and taking this discussion even farther afield, if you have time for podcasts I strongly recommend The Adventure Zone by the McElroy brothers, starting from episode 1 - it’s one of those “funny people play d&d without knowing the rules” things that have gotten popular, but somewhere along the line the DM’s story starts coming through stronger and the story picks up some real emotional heft. So if you’re not into the humor at first, it might be hard to keep plugging away at it, but it’s very much worth it.

I played my first game of Sol last night and came back to ask a question it looks like you already answered: you just pick the instability effects at random when setting up?

That’s what I assumed—that’s what we did. Since it was everyone’s first game I just drew four blue ones at random.

The two of us that have also played Photosynthesis (and love it too) couldn’t help but notice and appreciate some similarities. The ships slowly orbiting Sol and the Sun slowly circling the board in Photosynthesis both require some planning about how you position things with an eye toward the future, and in both cases that future is inevitable and predictable (I know exactly where the sun/motherships will be in X turns) but still surprisingly easy to forget about in the moment.

The player interactions with each other are a little different, but can still feel similar. Photosynthesis is just about positioning yourself to block others and not be blocked yourself. There’s no way to actually benefit from what another player has done in the way you can use everyone’s stuff in Sol, but there’s still a familiar vibe to the way that you’re not directly challenging others on the board, but you’re heavily affected by it. Even though you’re not disrupting or altering what they’ve placed—you can’t cut down their trees or blow up their forges—you also can’t ignore it and just concentrate on your own little engines and designs.

And ultimately, we made the same kind of errors. As soon as the game was over we all started talking about how we would change our approach next time, because we all had some level of regret about the balance between building our grand plans for generating momentum and actually getting around to executing on them. I suppose that’s true of a lot of genres, worker placement for example when pursuit of the most efficient combinations might not be as important as getting some production sooner out of what you’ve got.

Some of those similarities to Photosynthesis are superficial, and when it comes to executing our grand plans too late in the game to really benefit from them, Photosynthesis has an entirely predictable game length. There’s no excuse there but lack of practice; with time and experience that should be less and less of an issue. There’s nothing in Photosynthesis like the instability of Sol to surprise you, you always know exactly how many turns you’ll have left.

When our game ended, the first reaction from my friend was that he really liked Sol, but probably still liked Photosynthesis more. He could explain Photosynthesis a lot faster to a new player—probably true. But he didn’t see me set up Sol, so then I started showing him all the instability effects we didn’t use, and he got really excited, and started to see the added depth that I don’t think Photosynthesis has.

I didn’t mean to talk as much about Photosynthesis here as I did. I can imagine someone laughing off the entire comparison—“What, you think these games are the same because they both involve energy from the sun and things moving in a circle?” But anyway, everyone liked Sol and I’m eager to play it again soon.

Thanks for the recommendation Tom!

And thank you for the description of your first go!

I love the Photosynthesis comparisons, Wholly. That never even occurred to me, but, yes, you’re spot on for calling out the various similarities and differences. I mean, they’re both ultimately about a sun.

I hope your friend gets to try more instability effects. Especially if you guys start to include yellows or (gasp!) reds. I also think the random event deck is appropriate once you’ve played a game or two, and it adds more of a “we’re all in this together” dimension to the instability.

-Tom

So, anyone want to weigh in on a rules question?

The Motivate instability card, as explained in the manual:

MOTIVATE Immediately activate a station after converting it (do not draw extra cards).

The description makes it clear that you do not draw any cards for this Activation, though it seems obvious the Convert action would still get its normal draw (hence the word “extra”).

Page 17 outlines the rules for using Instability cards:

On your turn, you may elect to use an instability card earned on a previous turn. This is in addition to your regular action.

The ability associated with each instability suit is determined by the suit tokens assigned to each instability effect selected at the beginning of the game.

Each instability effect has a symbol indicating when it can be played: move, convert, activate, draw or any time.

Discard the instability card immediately after use and before drawing any new cards as a result of your action. You cannot play a card the same turn you receive it.

For the full list of possible effects, see INSTABILITY EFFECTS, back cover.

Emphasis mine, this makes it clear that under no circumstances could you play a card on the same turn you receive it.

But my question is at what point in the turn do you actually “use” the instability card? Are you announcing and playing your Motivate instability card as a modifier to the otherwise-normal Convert action you’re about to perform? Or are you announcing and playing your instability card as a reaction to the normal Convert action you’ve just performed?

It matters with Motivate (and maybe other instability cards I haven’t tried yet) because in the first scenario, you announce you’re using motivate. It’s discarded, you take your Convert action which can result in drawing new instability cards, then you get the activation as well (which explicitly does not grant another draw of instability cards). You can’t use any of those cards you just drew on this turn, but you’re ending the turn with another instability card in your hold.

The alternative is that you first perform the Convert action, and when drawing new instability cards you opt to keep the Motivate card you already head instead of any of the new cards. Then you play that Motivate, get the free activation which doesn’t give you any new cards, and you end the turn without any instability cards in your hold.

I can’t find a clear ruling in the rule book of which approach is correct.

“Immediately” very strongly suggests you don’t get to keep the card.

I’m not sure I follow. Do you mean the “immediately” in:

Discard the instability card immediately after use and before drawing any new cards as a result of your action. You cannot play a card the same turn you receive it.

I agree you discard the instability card (the “Motivate” suit card you’re using) immediately after using it, but I still don’t see an unambiguous explanation of when you use it.

“Hey guys, I’m using this instability card now so my upcoming convert action also gives me an activation”

vs.

“Hey guys, I just did a convert action so I’m using my instability card to do a free activation as well”

“immediately activate a station after converting it” ie, it’s played at the point of conversion, before drawing cards. Or at least, the activation happens before drawing cards, so the playing must also be before.

But “immediately” could just be the timing of when the activation happens, it’s still not clear to me that’s necessarily when the instability card is played. “I’m playing motivate, so now when I do a convert it’s immediately followed up by an activation” still makes as much sense as “I just did a convert, so now I’m playing motivate which allows me to immediately activate”.

The manual is here if you want to refer to it, the last page has all the Instability effect details.