Solasta: Crown of the Magister (Turn-Based Fifth Ed.)

Solasta launches into Early Access on Steam today. Have some videos!

Fextralife did a short (10 min) video comparing and contrasting Solasta and Baldur’s Gate 3.

Penciled in for the evening :)

I managed to score a key to this so I’ll take a look at it over my lunch break and get something posted ASAP.

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing your take on the game.

I put a video together showing off the opening hour or so of this, and I think it’s going to be something really special. I’m going to put more time into it and do a second video later after I’m more familiar with it, but for now this is off to a very strong start for me. There are aspects to this I vastly enjoy more than what BG3 is doing, even.

Thanks for the vid I was curious! Looks very cool actually! As you say it looks like it resolves some of my issues with BG3 albeit at lower production values. Hmm.

Lol, I’m yelling at my screen. “”Scott! Scott, click the glowing rock!”

Thanks for making this. Love the Classic met-in-a-tavern setup.

Still, I have one big issue with this: no druids, monks, or bards.

…looks more fun than BG3… at least tactically.

Fiddled around with character creation last night, very promising! And Scott’s video makes me even more optimistic.

I do not think of myself as being graphics oriented, but I really like the look of both the UI and the environments.

I’m really liking what I have played so far. The tactical experience feels like D&D more than BG3 so far.

I played a couple hours yesterday. It’s very promising and has a lot of great ideas, especially in the UI. It doesn’t bother with insane hot bars that become increasingly useless like some other games, and it smartly organizes actions and bonus actions seperately so you don’t have to memorize or hover over every ability trying to figure out what you can still do. It even eliminates stuff from your menu as you use up parts of your turn so you know what you can still do, so after you do a main action, all you will have available is a button for your bonus actions and the end turn button. Use that bonus action and it’s just an end turn button.

I know there are people who have complained the UI doesn’t look thematically appropriate, but in actual use it works so much better than all the games that blindly recreate the old hot bar paradigm. It also allows them to smoothly integrate lots of rules that have never seemed to be integrated in DnD adaptations before. Things like reactions that tend to get completely ignored are actually useful. I have a paladin with a combat style that lets them protect adjacent party members. When a circumstance comes up where that ability can be used it just pops up a window and says, “would you like to impose disadvantage on this enemy attack?” You can say yes and watch the enemy roll twice, or save the reaction if you think there will be a more dangerous attack later in the turn.

Speaking of which, I really like the way the game visualizes the dice rolls. You can even choose the visual style of dice for different circumstances, and they show you the actual die result next to your bonus rather than obfuscating the math like other games…

The movement might be a little off putting to some people because your party basically always moves on a grid, in or out of combat, but the upside is the pathfinding is very good, even in complex, multilevel environments, of which there are a lot. Things like climbing, crawling and jumping are all automatic, and if a character simply can’t reach a point it will tell you so. You need specific stats to make certain jumps, for example, but that’s all automated. It’s a joy to see a character fall through a trapped bridge two stories, but be able to have them run all the way through the multilevel path back to where they were with a single click.

@Scotch_Lufkin did your video really end in the middle of a cut scene? :/

I was also yelling “push the rock!”

Thanks for showing that. The UI looks sort of weird to me but I have seen here and in other places that people like it and think it works well so I will give it a shot.

Ack. Apparently. It was supposed to be 50 minutes long, so I have no idea what happened there? I had to re-render it because it crashed, but when I reloaded the media it showed 50 minutes and looked good - but it looks like it still truncated a few minutes there. That cut scene leads into the end of the tutorial area and the proper ‘control a party and start!’ part of the game, which is where I left off.

EDIT: I uploaded the last little bit (about 4 min) and updated the original video with the link to the missing bit at the end.

Sweet! Thanks

I don’t normally play RPGs more than once (or, for great games, with a couple of years between playthroughs), I have been trying to limit my EA playing to just character creation and the opening minutes… but the game keeps calling out to me to play a little more.

I second all that @Brad_Grenz posted. The only thing I am finding mildly negative is routine movement in open spaces. The field of view on the screen feels a little limited, which is not only disorienting, but means you are constantly moving to the edge of the visible screen, which requires dragging to move the camera. Not at all an issue where something is happening, but less than ideal for routine traveling.

On the other hand, I love the map. And I am feeling more a sense of a particular place than I normally do in one of these games.

I bought this too. The more 5e DnD we can have, the better. ;)

i kick started this sometime ago, just downloaded it. It sounds very much up my alley ! I’m looking forward to seeing how it develops

There’s something about the faces, though. I always get the sense that characters have vampire fangs, when it is really just the way teeth are shown.

i get a fangs vibe from the teeth too. the faces are my least favorite part of the game.

rules questions:

1. My cleric sometimes gets a “block” reaction. Does this ability come just from equiping a shield or ?
  2. I didn’t see this reaction in my search for 5e rules- is it a core mechanic or did Solasta add it?
  3. What other reactions are in the game?
  4. Does height not give advantage, unlike BG3, or have I just not had enough of a height difference with my targets?