Solasta: Crown of the Magister (Turn-Based Fifth Ed.)

The mod released, but instead of being called Community Expansion its called Unfinished Business. Does all the same things as the previous mod did. Really easy to install using the Unity Mod Manager (at least for me on PC)

I even tested it multiplayer on the base campaign, and had no issues.

I’m also really enjoying the new Warlock and Bard classes. Some really interesting new ways to play. The Monk is different, but so far has not been as interesting to me yet. Also the default Monk clothes are crazy. Looks like a jester outfit. The bard and the warlock get cool clothes.

I played through the original campaign with the Warlock recently and she was… fine. She did her job well enough of eldritch blasts and occasionally buffing or casting. Not as powerful as a cleric or wizard but I wanted to go with something different.

Bards are one of my favorites in pen and paper but in a combat game, not really skill focused, I didn’t care for their save or suck spell list.

I’m trying the DLC campaign with a monk as a tank and outside of extreme mobility isn’t all that impressive either. Certainly a tier down from Paladin. I had to replace those clothes with noble garb quick fast too.

The druid brings a whole lot of control to the party and having the skill that assists in concentration is a real boon. Half of the fights are funneling enemies through spike growths or call lighting barrages.

My Warlock so far is doing more damage than anyone else in the group as she consistently hits with Eldrich Blast spiced with Malediction, and her spells refresh at a short rest. The Wizard would out burst-damage the Warlock, but the Warlock can keep up the damage over time especially when there is no chance for a rest. I found the Warlock invocation options cool too. Again, maybe this is a passing fancy but its fun right now.

Are you using Unfinished Business mod? That opens up option not available in vanilla.

I think my favorite thing about the Warlock was the invocation that pushed. Many enemies on ledges, flying, spiders on walls, etc were one hit kills. Other than that the damage was solid but spread around and non-focused. Hitting 3 enemies with the blast is nice but it was for rarely over 40 - 50 total damage. I also did not take advantage of the spells recharging on a short rest so I can see how I am underselling the value. I have not used any mods yet and will probably use them when I get around to user generated content. Right now wrapping up vanilla Valley DLC.

There are a number of classes that have things recharge on a short rest, so I’ve started using it more rather than trying to go find a place to long rest. I also have brought the concept into our PnP game too.

New campaign DLC just announced for May 2023!

It’s a high level adventure (10-16) that follows up the base campaign. The post release content for this game has been very good, so I’m super excited to play more.

That’s amazing. MAY is white hot this year holy shit.

I’ll be buying

I’m not playing it as much SP, but my DnD group has added a weekly Solasta night to play MP. Very fun!

Palace of Ice launched today!

I’m about to jump in. Not sure it I’ll import my main party, or roll some new characters to play with the new backgrounds and classes…

I’ll be getting this as well. Not exactly sure when I’ll start the new campaign.

After playing a ton of user-modules, I’m taking another run at playing the original campaign single player.

I’m also playing in a weekly multiplayer game that is doing the first DLC’s adventure.(Lost Valley)

In both, using the Unfinished Business mod. It works great, and is updated to work with the new DLC.

Has anyone tried any of the user generated campaigns for this? Any good suggestions? As D&D implementations go, this is easily the best platform I’ve ever seen, so I’m just looking for more content!

There are quite a few good ones. Some as long or longer than the main campaign. I think I have most of not all of Silverquicks stuff. And Eiru stuff but I don’t recalll if that’s the same modder or not. Usually I just search most pop over the last three months for a list of campaigns. Also look into the Unfinished Business mod but I think you have to get it on Nexus. And I’ve never gotten the 6 player campaigns to work but I haven’t really tried too hard either.

Thanks, that gives me a starting place!

Does stuff like Unfinished Business mess up multiplayer? I’d imagine both parties would need it installed, at least.

I would assume all in multiplayer need it since it adds a ton of stuff like classes and spells too I think. But I’ve not really tried multi at all so couldn’t say for sure.

I haven’t delved into much of the User Created stuff lately, but I did finish the Palace of Ice expansion recently. I decided to roll a new crew instead of importing my party from the main campaign so I could play with the new classes and backgrounds. I rolled up a Dragonborn Monk, Gnome Warlock, Teifling Bard, and a Half-Orc Cleric. Only regret was the cleric, since I didn’t end up needing heals as much as I worried I would.

The campaign continued to excel at showcasing 5e combat. I especially enjoyed how the final encounter put an emphasis on short resting, highlighting some of the advantages certain classes have in that regard that are usually completely missing. For example, my Warlock got all his spell slots back on a short rest. That is extremely useful when you have 5 big fights back to back with no opportunity for a long rest.

I really hope Tactical Adventures gets some big investment for their next project. I think they’re an extremely talented team and could have a big hit with an upgraded art budget.

Two user made campaigns that I’ve played recently and really enjoyed (more than the original campaign) as they were very well done were…Morrows Deep and Temple of Evil

I play alot of user made mods…currently playing Morrows Deep single player and the beginning Eiru adventure multiplayer (~weekly) with my tabletop group.

I can confirm that Unfinished Business does not mess up multiplayer. You do want all the players to have it however. UB is now on Github not Nexus

Follow the installation guide linked on the page. Its a little hard the first time for non-technical people, but after its installed the auto-updater works well.

We did loose a MP campaign when the Palace of Ice DLC/big update launched. I do not know if that was because of the DLC update, the UB mod, or a mix.

We do get some desync’s playing MP, always in combat, typically 1-3 per session. As soon as we detect the desync (I see its player X’s turn, other people see player Y) as the host I can save the game, then reload the save I just made and we are right back to where we should be. Takes maybe 30-45sec depending on the time to reload the map we were on.

You can also get it on Nexus, if that’s simpler, then update from that version. I did that on a new computer last week.

Interesting. The cleric is typically thought of as the most powerful class. Not because of heals, but because of lots of very potent spells like Bless, Spirit Guardians, Daylight (situational, but can be very powerful), etc. But they do only refresh at long rest, so in the scenario you describe that could be very hard.

My regret is mostly that I’ve used the Cleric already so I should have tried out another class.