Soldiers of Anarchy

Anyone playing this? Shades of Shadow Company. It’s a post-apocalypse squad game, with XCom-like strategic elements, a game editor and tons of stuff to do. I’m only on the second mission, but I’m having a blast.

One problem: Extensive graphic glitches. The good news: The options menu gives you extensive abilities to tweak your graphics settings, so I’m hopeful I can repair the problem myself. :)

Peter

Just checked out some previews of this game, and the main site… looks pretty cool… like a Fallout Tactics in 3d! And then there’s the vehicles. The screenshots look cool too! and the game has an editor! Hmm… maybe I’ll pick this up tommorrow instead of AoM… not like I need another rts anyway!

etc

It’s actually a pretty good game. You can’t pause the game to issue orders, which makes it a bit of an exercise in point-and-lick skills, but there is supposedly a patch coming out that will add pause-for-orders. What they need to fix is the pathfinding, which is crazy awful. I played the game with the beta patch for a bit, and while they did add the pause feature, they haven’t done anything about the pathfinding.

The pathfinding is actually comparatively good–if you set it to “deep” in the options program. What it does need (or I simply haven’t found) is the ability to move in formation. Without it, the units aren’t smart enough to avoid getting into traffic jams.

Peter

Point and lick?

I have to disagree completely with this. I spent the better part of an evening setting up tests of unit pathing between the three pathfinding settings, by saving the game and then reloading it with different pathfinding modes and performing the same orders. There is almost no difference between the three settings. Vehicles, especially, can’t find the end of a straight road without weaving all over Hell and back. Through all 11 missions, I had the pathfinding set to “deep” and was having wicked bad problems. Maybe you have a special version.

Ha! It means I was joking!

Sorry, it was actually a typo.

I have to disagree completely with this. I spent the better part of an evening setting up tests of unit pathing between the three pathfinding settings, by saving the game and then reloading it with different pathfinding modes and performing the same orders. There is almost no difference between the three settings. Vehicles, especially, can’t find the end of a straight road without weaving all over Hell and back. Through all 11 missions, I had the pathfinding set to “deep” and was having wicked bad problems. Maybe you have a special version.[/quote]

I’m using 1.1.0.71. That’s the version that’s in stores now. Is it possible you have an earlier one?

Peter

Folks,

If anyone else is playing this, a hefty (almost 36MB) patch is available. From the blurb on Fileshack:

“This patch updates the US version of Soldiers of Anarchy to v1.1.2.177. Includes turn-based play, selectable ammunition on all vehicles/weapons, improved pathing and AI and improved multiplayer functionality.”

Peter

No, I had the 1.1.0.71 retail version. That’s odd.

Gotta get it now. I got Arx Fatalis (and AoM) instead of this. Should have got this. I wasnt really in a crpg thief mood, now im stuck in level 4 of arx looking at golems and shit when i could be blowing up stuff in a postapocalyptic world… aye, next game i get WILL be this. putting out a patch makes it a buy for sure.

etc

No, I had the 1.1.0.71 retail version. That’s odd.[/quote]

Perhaps our experiences were just different. To me, the pathfinding seemed to get better under “deep,” but it’s not perfect. Some vehicles do go way out of their way to get to where you’ve sent them. And have you noticed that, if you select a bunch of units and set their destination, some units may not find destination locations and won’t respond at all?

Peter