Solium Infernum by Vic "Armageddon Empires" Davis

I don’t think you can exchange, De_Treville. But before you engage in a vassal/lord relationship, the two of you can make demands of each other, and give each other manuscripts and tribute.

In Diplomacy, you can send a gift of Tribute cards (up to 8 in one action).

Yea I just checked this and it’s impossible to exchange tribute from either side of the relationship.

Is it just me or does this seem like a big oversight by Vic? I mean the only way you can remove Blood Vassalage is through excommunication, it seems silly then that people who are openly allied can’t help each other in a very fundamental way but they could easily do so by not declaring their alliance.

Is it possible to view the Vendetta Objective when someone declares a Vendetta on you? I mean traditional ones, as opposed to Single Combat. It would be nice to know if the guy who is invading me is trying to kill my legions vs. take PoPs vs. claim Cantons etc. Though I could certainly see how leaving that information private could make for interesting interplay.

Yes, it’s a bit of an oversight. I actually had originally done some work to make it mandatory that every couple of turns the Vassal got a message to send the Lord X tribute cards. I ended up ditching that because it was for thematic purposes only and tended to be more onerous than it was worth. I am going to implement a diplomatic order that is available so that each partner can send tribute (up to 8 cards per order). Sending relics and artifacts might be doable as well.

No not at this time. It’s a good idea to have that discernible via Prophecy but I’ll need to figure out how to display that…easiest way would probably be just through a turn log message.

Awake sleeping thread!

I am about to host my first multiplayer game of this, with a bunch of first time players. Any recommendations on which maps I should consider using?

I’d hate to end up screwing someone unnecessarily because of an unbalanced map.

The maps are pretty balanced unless you get an unlucky random seed.

Some players will get “lucky” and get the high prestige generating PoPs while others won’t. Being ahead of the pack prestige wise isn’t always in your best interest.

That being said, the Lake of Fire map is a tad unbalanced since the bonus for owning the special PoP is an additional order slot.

The default rivers map is a good fair one, I think.

Certain strategies are more effective on a small map, but if you’re all first time players, that shouldn’t be a problem.

I feel like playing some SI. Would anyone be willing to play a PBEM game? I can host.

The other one started recently is taking forever, I’m up for another.

I’d play.

Yeah our game is really crawling. Currently I have received only 2 files for the current turn in dropbox. I haven’t bothered to check the email yet because 4 people use dropbox to send me turns.

There’s a free mini-expansion coming. Looks great!

I’m sure this is a dumb question, but…

How do I play SI on a netbook with a small (1024x600) screen? Is it even possible to do so?

You play it fullscreen. IIRC, the game window is exactly 600 pixels high.

Opening it fullscreen doesn’t work; there’s a chunk of information lost at the bottom of the screen. I think SI’s minimum resolution on the vertical is 800 pixels… perhaps this just won’t function on the netbook.

Assuming you have Intel graphics, you should be able to set your resolution to 1024x768 (which for both AE and SI is the minimum) using the Intel graphics configuration window, not the default Microsoft graphics properties window. You should then be able to scroll with the mouse/touchpad. It’s not optimal but it does work.

In the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator thingy (which I assume is what you’re talking about), the only two resolution options it gives me are the same two the Windows thing gives me; 1024x600 and 800x600.

Is it likely that I need to update video divers, and that the issue will then be fixed?

Hm. On my Intel 945 netbook I’m not limited to the resolution of the display. I’m not sure how or if I deliberately enabled that function, but I suppose updating to the latest video drivers wouldn’t hurt.

You can also try this instead:

Netbook Mods, direct from Vic. Might be easier :-)

Whaddya know, that IS easier. Thanks a bajillion! :)