Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Breaking news:

For those of you living in the dark ages, here’s how GLAAD defines a pansexual and how it might apply to a Star Wars character:

While speaking to the Huffington Post, the Kasdans said that they believe Lando is pansexual, which means “the capacity to be attracted to all genders and, or attracted to people regardless of gender,” according to GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis.

According to the Huffington Post and the world of “Star Wars,” this could mean men, women and even droids, which are prominent in George Lucas’ fantasy world.

“There’s a fluidity to Donald and Billy Dee’s sexuality [in the role]. I mean, I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie. I think it’s time, certainly, for that, and I love the fluidity sort of the spectrum of sexuality that Donald appeals to and that droids are a part of,” he added.

Sex with droids, that’s exactly what was missing in Star Wars.

I want to like Woody Harrelson, but I think he is batshit crazy (and not in a good way, I understand) in real life.

I know, you can like the artist but not the person.

Oh man, if I had to delete batshit crazy artists from my ‘favorites’ file, I don’t know where I’d be.

So, this was a little odd.

I forgot to get tickets and my GF and I are both off Friday so I thought I’d see what there was. We go to the Showcase theater that has the 21+ balcony level with assigned seating. For the 3:10 showing on Friday, the entire balcony was available. I had my choice of seats. I thought there was an error when I was able to select a seat.

Variety has a long feature on the production troubles of the movie.

So what wasn’t working? For screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, the elder creative statesman of the enterprise whose work on the “Star Wars” series goes back to “The Empire Strikes Back” in 1980, it was an issue of tone on the screen and exactitude on the set.

“Tone is everything to me. That’s what movies are made of,” Kasdan says. “But this was a very complicated situation. When you go to work in the morning on a ‘Star Wars’ movie, there are thousands of people waiting for you, and you have to be very decisive and very quick about it. When you are making those split-second decisions — and there are a million a day — then you are committing to a certain tone. If the [producers] think that isn’t the tone of the movie, you’re going to have trouble. It may not always end this way, but no one was happy about it. It was agony.”

Reports suggested Lord and Miller had gone overboard with improvisation, moving farther and farther away from what was on the page. But Kasdan’s son and co-writer Jonathan has a different take.

“The issues we were having were much more in the bones and practical,” he says. “Chris and Phil did everything they could to make it work, as did we. The questions only became about how to make the movie most efficiently in the time we had to do it.”

Production was originally slated from February to July 2017. By June, with the film behind schedule, crew members were told they would not be wrapping until August. When Howard came aboard, it was mandated that 85% of Lord and Miller’s “Solo” be reshot, including second unit material. Howard’s work ultimately comprises 70% of the finished film. The shoot would extend four more months, finally wrapping on Oct. 17.

A crew member who worked on the film under both Lord-Miller and Howard, but declined to be identified because he was not authorized to disclose the information, says Lord and Miller drew Kennedy’s ire for stretching days out with experimentation.

“I got a lot of overtime [under Lord and Miller], which ultimately was their downfall,” the crew member says. “The first assistant director brokers that with production. He ultimately went to the well one too many times, and Kathleen Kennedy blew up.”

The crew member also says Howard had a firmer grip on what he wanted and how he wanted to shoot it. Under Howard, one second unit sequence took up half the stage space at Pinewood Studios that it did under Lord and Miller and a fraction of the time, the crew member says.

Lord and Miller would not agree to an interview, but a source close to the production says that their ideas were constantly overruled.

“In their minds, Phil and Chris were hired to make a movie that was unexpected and would take a risk, not something that would just service the fans,” says the source. “They wanted it to be fresh, new, emotional, surprising and unique. These guys looked at Han as a maverick, so they wanted to make a movie about a maverick. But at every turn, when they went to take a risk, it was met with a no.”

For the first time in my life I am not in the least bit excited about a Star Wars movie. IMO this is not a thing that needs to exist. I’d rather keep with the exciting back story I’ve had in my head for Han since I was 7 when I saw Star Wars for the first time than whatever this will be.

#GetOffMyLawn #ShakesFist

There’ve been some pretty terrible auteur-run-amok films, but whenever I hear this, I feel myself resenting having missed the chance to have seen what could have been.

This is a film that prefers the version of Han Solo where Greedo shoots first.

Lol.

Saw it today! Non spoiler thoughts:
Its good! not as good as rogue one, but way better than last jedi. Han is cool, Lando is very cool. Kira is cool, Woody harrelson is actually awesome. Chewie is awesome.
Some nice set pieces. Plot is not as silly as The Last Jedi. Its very slightly too long, and the droid (L337) is AWFUL, and TBH could have been scrapped. Felt like someones pet project to shoehorn in a silly agenda-based subplot that didnt fit.
Go see it, its worth your time. I’ll definitely watch it again on blu-ray.

What is TBH?

“to be honest”

I thought it was okay too. There are a few groan-inducing moments but on the whole it’s an enjoyable enough adventure.

I was really surprised that my opening night showing was less than half full. I know there’s been a lot of skepticism about this film, talk of a backlash against TLJ etc… but I didn’t expect it to actually matter.

I’ll be one of the people waiting for it to show up streaming services.

TLJ kind of “broke” Star Wars for me in the sense that there’s just nothing that special or epic anymore. They’re entertainment products like any other movie. I suspect I’m not the only person who feels that way and you’re seeing it in general decline in enthusiasm.

I mean, I plan on doing the same. Not because enthusiasm, but time. I got two little ones, so going to see more than two movies a year in theaters (my wife and I each do one for our birthdays, while grandparents take kids), is a major effort. We’ve already burned two this year, on top of seeing TLJ in December, and probably will go for Fantastic Beasts 2 in November. So we’re already double our allotment :)

So, yeah, this is decidedly less an event for me than, say, Infinity War was, though in a vacuum I’m way more into Star Wars than any comic book stuff. As my one appearance on the podcast should make obvious ;)

Don’t know if I’ll make it this weekend but I think I want to catch this in theater. I’m not exactly a Star Wars fiend, but I always loved Han and Cherie and I’m interested in seeing Lando and the others doing shady deals on backwater planets. This is way more interesting to me than some monastic order of mystical warriors. Unless we’re talking Shaolin monks, those guys kick ass.

I’ll be trying to squeeze this into my schedule, but life’s busy, and a subpar Han Solo retread is a lot less exciting than anything else they’ve done in SW in a long time for me :(

I’ve still got my memories of The Han Solo Trilogy to get me by. I’ll watch this eventually but am supremely unenthusiastic about catching it in theaters.

I’ve gotta bail on this thread, I don’t want to rehash the conversations from the other movie threads, but I just literally cannot relate to anyone about Star Wars who thinks TLJ was the problem and Rogue One was a good movie.

I’m not trying to single anyone out, I just truly don’t know where to even start a conversation in that context.

I heard The Last Jedi was a problem and Rogue One was great.