Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Yea I never understood the inconsequential argument. It’s a spin off movie, I want it to be inconsequential. I want it to have very little to do with the main story. In fact, the things I dlisliked the most are where they tried to shoehorn a connection to the main Star Wars story.

Personally, I would have much rather just had a whole Lando/L3-37 movie.

Go figure, I thought LEET was the weakest part of the movie. Badly written, voice acted like a sassy cartoon character rather than a droid. Also somehow not accountable for blowing up the mission.

Interestingly, the fairly jaded Red Letter Media guys kind of liked the movie!

It’s not like it’s some big mystery. The Marvel characters are, with the exception of Civil War and the Avengers, largely separate from each other, self contained, and marketed as such. It’s eight different franchises, with the occasional overlap and the Avengers every few years as a crossover. You can go see Ant-man without giving a crap about Dr. Strange and vice versa. And if you’re burned out on, say, Tony Stark, there will still be something for you every year that doesn’t have him.

Whereas so far all the Star Wars movies are tightly interconnected, have high overlap of characters/concepts (and not that many characters to begin with), and are all marketed as being “Star Wars.” It’s like having the Avengers every 6-18 months, which leads to fatigue.

Yep, it’s a misdirected criticism. After all, we’re talking about Star Wars here, which was created to be pure popcorn fun in the first place. It’s like saying ice cream isn’t nutritious -that’s not why it was invented.

I think what people are really complaining about is the prequel problem: we know how the characters eventually turn out, so we need something else to chew on. We already know the body ends up in the pool at the end, so what has to keep us interested in is the question of how it got there.

From that perspective, the real issue is that Solo’s Han starts out the movie too close to classic Han. They needed to make a bigger distinction between Han’s character before and Han’s character after so he could go on a bigger character journey during the course of the movie. (Though then the Interwebs would be complaining, “The Han at the start of the movie acts nothing like Han!!!1” So damned if you do and damned if you don’t.)

There are elements of this film that are definitely building towards… something.

AND MY AXE.

It’s just beyond my ken too.

Saw this yesterday. I guess I just like liking things, but I’ll make an exception for this one. I felt a bit disappointed. It wasn’t bad, but pretty mediocre. Felt like it tried to cram in to much, and even then it was boring at times. I think Craig says it well:

I was very excited to see Donald Glover’s spin on Lando, but I didn’t feel it. All in all I think most of the acting was very flat; Thandie Newton and Woody Harrelson excepted. The visuals felt quite varied in quality. Some parts of the movie was excellent, others felt a bit low-budget. I enjoyed the feel of the trench warfare planet, and many of the sets had a good “physical” feel.

I liked the cameo in the end, I am easy to please that way. I’d watch a movie that follows up on that. Edit: Holy shit! If that is setup for the Obi-Wan movie that would be so great!

Rogue One at least answered a big plot hole in Star Wars: What idiot made that unshielded vent?

I enjoyed both, but I admit my bar for movies is low. It’s pretty much “was I entertained and it was better than Battlefield Earth?”

Yeah, i think Kasdan the younger is quoted as saying “Hey, if you wanna see more Star Wars: the underworld areas style movies, let Disney know you dug this.” Or something to that effect. And, um, yeah, I’d be super pumped to see more of that world, cuz this movie made it seem cool as fuck. Those Hut assholes? Small potatoes compared to the syndicates featured in Solo.

I’m super onboard with that. I really enjoyed her character. I mean, she’s no K2-SO, of course, but she was pretty fucking awesome, and the miniature Droid rebellion on Kessel was hilarious and super endearing. It felt a little like the House Elves from Harry Potter, but substantially less dreary and played way more easily for laughs.

IMO I think the movie does a lot of cool things in the background in terms of its setpieces and plot elements. I mean one that i know you’ll appreciate is that it establishes a ton of EU and 3D animated cartoons lore as full bore movie canon (yeah, yeah, I know that CW and Rebels are canon already, but getting shit name-dropped or shown outright in the movies is a cool touch). But getting to see that badass trench warfare during the war scenes early on with awesome AT-ST live-drops, seeing some early elements of the Rebellion (even if I think tying Han to them was pretty dumb–why the fuck didn’t he a have a goddamn statue in his honor on Yavin 4?), seeing the sick-ass space monsters and the Maw, seeing the syndicates in action and some new faces in general doing cool shit, all of that was pretty awesome and added to the lore, to the universe, at least in terms of the movies.

I really goddamned enjoyed that movie, holy shit.

New ranking incoming:

1. A New Hope (fuck off, it came out before I was born, so that’s the title on the VHS tapes I watched growing up)
  2. Return of the Jedi
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Solo
  5. The Empire Strikes Back
  6. Revenge of the Sith
  7. The Last Jedi
  8. Rogue One
  9. Phantom Menace
  10. Attack of the Clones

Oh yeah bitches, Empire at 5 now.

The One True List:

1. Knights of the Old Republic
  2. Dark Forces
  3. Tie Fighter
  4. Knight of the Old Republic 2
  5. Jedi Knight
  6. X-Wing
  7. Battlefront II (2005)
  8. Republic Commando
  9. Empire at War
  10. Yoda Stories

Wow, that’s… that’s not the ranking I would give them.

What a shot of nostalgia, I loved this game as a kid.

Ooh, some god picks, but no Rogue Squadron, no Episode 1 Racer, and no Shadow of the Empire are tough skips for me.

And what about the Super Nintendo Star Wars games? Those things were great!

If we start ranking EU novels in the Padme Rising: A Star Wars Story (2023) thread, then I’m out.

One thing that bothered me about the film was how often it seemed the “good guys” would be standing out in the open, twirling blasters, and landing every. single. shot. with lethal accuracy while vastly outnumbered and outgunned by enemies who graduated cum laude from Storm Trooper academy. This was especially true during the escape from the spice mines and also briefly during the trench warfare sequence.

It’s practically a Star Wars meme but for some reason it was especially pronounced in this film. Much more so than in Rogue One, to me.

I also thought the Maw was underwhelming. Probably because I already knew the story and that’s not at all how I had been imagining it.

I glanced over one review (no spoilers) before seeing the movie whose author absolutely gushed over it, calling it the best Star Wars movie since Disney took over, saying (strangely) it was great because all characters had uncertain survivability. I wish I could find the link; after watching the movie I thought the opposite was true.

Overall it was a very enjoyable film I wouldn’t mind seeing again.

Saw it and liked it for what it was. I like Glover but he kind of came off like a caricature of Lando rather than the real Lando. The movie was a fun heist movie although the continuous Easter eggs drops were a bit much. One thing I am curious about:

the bit with Darth Maul at the end, made me wonder if they were implying that Emilia Clarke was a sith in training. If so I am curious if that could play into the proposed Obi Wan movie in some way. Also having watched the entirety of the Rebels series, I do not feel that using Maul was fan pandering at all.

You watched this whole series, and that somehow validates your feeling that the scene wasn’t fanservice?

No, the series explains his existence and place in the greater star wars universe. I simply understand the use of him in this film because I have more information and background to base my opinion on. Knowledge actually helps when forming an opinion. You should give it a shot, its far better than being a pedantic troll. Finally, you can take or leave my opinions and impressions as you choose because frankly, I don’t have to validate shit to you.