Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Calm down man. I just didn’t understand your sentence. Usually, someone watching a “whole series” is a fan of the property, so that deeper knowledge comes with the territory. Logically, that person would be able to contextualize the appearance of a character that casual viewers would believe was long dead because they didn’t watch ancillary media.

It just seemed weird to say the equivalent of “My fan knowledge of this series made this scene in the movie seem a lot less fanservicey.”

I have long felt P&R was a better subforum for threads about Star Wars movies.

Super Empire Strikes back was AWESOME!!!
Amazing graphics and music for an SNES title! And I had to attempt the Vader boss fight at the end a dozen times before I beat him but it was so satisfying when I did. Still have all 3 carts…never did get to play Jedi.

Jedi is probably my favorite of the three. Empire is very good, but it doesn’t have the many faces of Leia.

My apologies, I took your comment as harsher than you likely meant it. Add a particularly bad day into the mix and I responded far too aggressively. I shouldnt have snapped back like that and for that once again, I am sorry.

Hey, get outta here with your civility. This is the Internet!

palpatine

I don’t think I would have realized the droid name was L337 without this thread. I never once heard mention of anything other than L3. I found her fairly humorous, and enjoyed the whole ‘free to droid’ scene. The level of hate in here towards her made me think we had another Jar Jar.

My son and I decided it is a better movie if you kind of ignore it as a Star Wars movie. Or at least imagine Han as simply a random no-name character. Biggest complaint is that the first chunk of the movie was very dark, and even when it lit up some, it felt like it had a brown/yellow haze over it. Apparently this is a known thing, as the director was doing some low-light deal, and most theaters are crap and can’t ‘do justice’ to such things.

Yes, that was a low point. It was particularly distracting during the spice mines getaway. They were totally exposed just standing there next to the Falcon, yes we know these characters have plot armor, but couldn’t they at least pretend they’re in danger. The whole scene felt strangely unexciting and stilted, like they were throwing snowballs at each other over a 10-yard distance, with basically the same stakes.

Oh boy, this movie. My expectations going in were not really high given that Ron Howard hasn’t really done anything I cared about in the past 20 or so years other than Apollo 13, Frost / Nixon and his contribution to Arrested Development. But I’m up for positive surprises, so I bought a ticket anyway. And as the movie was going, I was…

• … still surprised by how bored I was by anything that was going on.
  • … so wishing I could have seen what Lord’s and Miller’s movie would have been like had they been able to complete it. I don’t know if it would have been better (although I suspect so), but it definitely would have been more interesting in one way or another.
  • … thinking that I should have watched Dead Pool 2 a second time instead.

It’s a bit of an unfair assumption, but I’m guessing the few bits I enjoyed are the remains of the Lord/Miller vehicle that survived. Howard is just such an uninteresting by-the-numbers director who really doesn’t add a lot. I remember reading the article about the troubled production history and people pointing out that it took him a day to shoot parts that would have taken waaaaay longer under Lord and Miller, and I was thinking: yeah, from a producer’s perspective that certainly really nice; from a creative perspective that’s not necessarily that great.

SPOILER TERRITORY BELOW

Han meeting Chewie, Han coming across and obtaining the Millenium Falcon, Han doing the Kessel Run, Han getting his signature blaster - man, they really had to put all that into one movie, didn’t they? Adding an explanation of the “Solo” part of his name also has to be the least valuable lore addition to the Star Wars universe since the invention of midichlorians. Did anyone ever asked for this? Weren’t we all fine assuming that it’s a legit name in the Star Wars universe? That particular scene not being written and acted well, didn’t help things. Han ultimately having a part in kickstarting the Rebellion? Oh geez.

I also thought that this movie makes Han less interesting. It does not in any way harm A New Hope since is itw own movie and was written in its own time prior all this. But if you consider the classic Han and the new one the same character, then classic Han technically has no character development in A New Hope because, of course, he’d help. The new movie even spells it out for you with a line Qi’ra says.

Val’s (Thandy Newton) death felt stupid for several reasons. Why did the droids pin her instead of actually moving around to shoot her? And given that Star Wars is a franchise ripe with characters escaping seemingly inescapable situations with some utterly ridiculous and risky stunts, her decision to blow herself up in a “time for me to leave this movie!” moment was ludicrous. Worse, it did not really have an effect on any of the characters. Tobias (Harrelson) was sad for about 5 seconds before teaming up with Han again, and other than Dryden briefly saying that he’s sorry for Tobias’s loss, there’s no real consequence to Val’s death.Yeah, it’s a tough life in the Star Wars universe and people need to move on - but this really felt more like an oversight by the writers or editors.

Droids having a zany personality and being the comic relief is a Star Wars thing, I get it. For me it’s getting old though. I mean, I liked L3 just fine as I liked the droid from Rogue One, but it’s starting to feel lazy. I did like the art about her and Lando’s relationship because when she tells about Lando having feelings for her, you initially write that off as a weird perception on L3’s side - just to later see that there was some truth to that.

The villain reveal at the end was a thing that sadly had already been spoiled for me, but I guess it would not have made that much of an impact on me beyond " … ok!". It wasn’t later that I realized that, of course, this movie is set after The Phantom Menace and Darth Maul showing up thus being a big deal for those who are not familiar with the Clone Wars series.

When Han hangs around on Dryden’s ship for not even a full minute until he runs into Qi’ra, I fully expected her to be revealed as holographic AI or shapeshifter that can read Han’s desires and thus project Qi’ra accordingly. There was no way the writer would throw that much plot conveniance/coincidence into the mix. Except, of course, they did!

Which is related to another problem - the lack of chemisty between Ehrenreich and Clarke. After seeing each other after more than three years of being separated, both characters seemed to be really cool about it and weren’t really emotional one way or another. At some point later in the movie, I was even wondering if they had been lovers or just really good friends prior their escape attempt on Correllia because I could not figure out what the deal was between them.

I still don’t know how Han is supposed to be this unnaturally gifted pilot.

I enjoyed the movie a fair bit, definitely more than force awakens or the last jedi, maybe more than rogue one. It had its issues, sure, and I agree with much of what was said above. Yet, it was good fun, and it didn’t feel like a repeat of past star wars tropes.

It was nice to see kissing and romantic interest in the star wars universe again, after the last three I thought Disney had purged all relatable passion from the franchise.

I didn’t like the Droid as much as the one from rogue one. I think she would have been funnier if they hired someone to do the lines deadpan instead of being a sassy robot with swaying hips.

That was just weird. Made no sense mechanically. Looked like animation over human mocap rather than a droid, and it looked pretty uncanny valley to me.

CG effects enable indulgence, I suppose, but there’s something more grounded about a guy in a suit.

Also saw it this weekend, with the wife. We both enjoyed it quite a bit, honestly better than TFA and really even better than Rogue One. Oh well.

As others have said, I had no idea the droid’s name was LEET, I always just heard L3 and given how droids are named in SW, never even thought about it. I found her whole “sassy robot” thing mildly annoying, but I rather liked the idea that the rebellion that all of SW is based on actually started among droids rather than humans. Sort of. And hey, at least they successfully explained the whole parsecs thing–its not a time measure as we all thought, it really was a distance measure. Now, short-cuts in space is another issue entirely…

The lead reminds me of a young Karl Urban. Not great chemistry, but hey, Daenerys is certainly nice to look at.

Yeah, it is just a series of set pieces, but I think the film works better for NOT being laden with a bunch of SW stuff. No Force (unless you count their uncanny accuracy with their guns and (I love the phrase used upthread) their plot armor. Maybe the Force is with them whether they realize it or not. No Jedi, no light sabers, just a clean fun romp. I give it a B.

This officially became the first Star Wars movie my almost 4 year old nephew got to see in theater. It’s also his first movie in the theater, period. I heard he did very well although he lost some interest when it was only characters he didn’t know on the screen. When I suggested they try a movie this year, I was thinking more like Incredibles 2 but his daddy just really wanted to see this movie, and nephew had three laps to rotate through.

My sister said they enjoyed it but there were several disappointing points she wouldn’t tell me yet because she suggested I should make my way to see this. Guess it’s on the list… with a lot of other movies.

That’s good to know, my son just turned six and I’m wondering if that’s old enough for Star Wars. My wife says no, mainly because of gunplay and violence, even if it is bloodless. I wonder if he would like this.

I’ve watched all the OT and prequel movies with my son at home, and he’s younger than your son at 4 1/2.

Make of that what you will, but he really liked them. Rogue One and the new films are off limits yet.

There is a brief scene where Chewy is waving around a couple of arms he’s just ripped off somebody. Dunno if that qualifies as “bloodless” or not, though there isn’t much blood.

Auntie, that’s me, and Mommy said the same thing. He wasn’t ready. I don’t know how much of the movie he enjoyed compared to the just being in the theater. My nephew is also struggling a bit with potty training, but he did well and only had to go once too.

They wisely gave him no candy, only popcorn.

It’s really hard to tell, because it’s based on the temperament of the kid. I know a kid whose dad took him to see The Force Awakens when he was six and he just couldn’t handle it, and now hates Star Wars altogether. I know that movie is far darker than Solo in most ways.

I’d suggest starting with a couple movies at home first, to lay the groundwork. If your kid clicks into Episode IV, he may like Solo.

However, given how cautious I was with when my kid saw stuff–I still am, even though now he’s a newly minted teenager–I’d say you should listen to your wife.

-xtien

“That’s a lot of capes.”

Yeah, this is not “a hill I’m willing to die on” as the kids say, I’m just curious. I took my son to see LEGO Batman last summer and he loved it, so I know he can handle the theater experience. But yeah, I’ll just pop in one of the SW movies at home to see what he thinks.