Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Yeah my sister decided not to die on that hill too which is why she gave daddy what he wanted. A grandma went though, and she’s not a huge star wars fan or anything, so she could take him out of the theater if it didn’t work and go do something else until the movie was out. The family had a full plan. He’s never been able to make it through a Star Wars movie at home before. I’ve been there for at least one of those attempts. He wouldn’t watch it but didn’t want anyone to turn it off either. Heh, kids.

The one part my sister insisted daddy cover his eyes, the Jurassic World Trailer, part with the dino in the kids bedroom.

I watched Star Wars when I was around 6, I was seriously freaked out by the carbonite scene. So when I screened it for my son (also 6) I fast forwarded that part. He got freaked out by the dagobah cave instead.

My 4 year old loves that game.

‘I was watching that!’

No, you were in another room.

I’m pretty sure you’ll do this anyway, but I’d still like to suggest you make it as theatrical an experience as you can. We did that. Darkened the room even though it was daytime. Made homemade popcorn so the house kind of had that theater popcorn smell. My dad, with whom I saw the first Star Wars movie (I mean the real first one), was in town, so we put down an air mattress and got all the pillows and blankets and basically made the living room into a luxury theater.

All of that made it more of an event, which made it really exciting for my son, who was probably about your son’s age. And it was a blast for us.

-xtien

“We’ll have you flying in no time.”

Actually, the thought had not occurred to me. I like that, have to give it a try.

I took my 6 year old daughter to see it. She did fine, although she did sit in my wife’s lap for a few of the scarier parts.

My son had to sit in his mom’s lap during Brave’s scary parts. He was around that age. So I could not have taken him to a Star Wars movie yet. Luckily The Force Awakens came out at just the right time for him.

Depends on the kid.

-xtien

I kept thinking I knew Kira from NCIS: LA, but I don’t think it’s her.

Isn’t surprise ending guy dead?

Not a bad movie, but the action was so constant it lost any sense of peril.

In one of the (canon) cartoon series, it was revealed he survived, mostly by force of will and badass cool points serving as a backup pool of HP, and had a whole ongoing plotline of revenge and other badass cool stuff.

A Cartoon is supposed to make you understand that? What about the 99% of adults who never saw it?

What a idiotic plotting decision…

But thanks for the explanation.

Be surprised, I guess.

Oof. Looks like Solo may officially be the first Star Wars box office bomb.

Shame, but not unexpected after the first weekend’s projections had to be lowered.

Amazing. From 2 billion to a bomb in 5 years.

The magic of Ron Howard. That’s what you get for playing it safe.

-xtien

In his own note to investors, analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Co. pins the blame on a lacklaster marketing campaign rather than franchise fatigue.

Umm… I am pretty sure I’ve seen a billion ads for SOLO in the last 3 weeks.

Kinda unfair to lay the blame for this at his door. It was a really troubled production that unfortunately ended in a rather muddled but ok film that was hampered by a bad and short marketing campaign and followed up on a very recent & very divisive SW installment.

Too late now, tough to build hype when the thing is out already.
Remember we only got a trailer 3 months before the movie release, which is pretty unusual for a big summer release.

I wonder if having some of the original cast back some how would have helped it more?

I mean yeah Chewie is in it, but he doesn’t count. Perhaps if they would have had an older Lando having heard of Han’s death, recounting the story’s he heard of Han and his personal encounters with him, and the whole movie as a flashback.

oh god this is everything I hate about sequels and prequels, the crusty-old-actor-handover thing. Yuck yuck yuck.

Like a lot of people have said, I’d prefer every new SW film from now on to feature zero recognizeable cast, start a new batch in a new time and be original with it. Personally knowing every backstory to old characters is boring as shit. What’s next, the life and times of Greedo?

The adventures of Greedo and Jabba the Hutt. :)