Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

That is… one of the worst cross-promos ever? Weird.

They had TV ads as well, where the lane assist camera warns a driver that there’s an X-Wing in the lane behind them.

It was as stupid as it sounds.

This was about the only thing advertised on Monday Night Football last night on the ESPN stream. I have to admit, it’s kind of exciting to think that there’s a new Star Wars movie I’ll be able to watch in less than a month that I know very little about.

Have you seen the Original Trilogy? Then you know a lot about it already, at least in big strokes.

True, but it’s the small strokes that matter, right? If I cared about big strokes, I would have enjoyed Episode 2 and 3. Maybe.

Speaking of small strokes, spoiler: if you wanted to know why Han Solo wears Correlian Bloodstripes down the sides of his trousers, you won’t find that out in this movie.

They were saving that for the second-part of the third movie in the trilogy. In other words, movie #4.

“Hey Han! How’d you get those blood stripes?”

“Wasn’t easy!”

Solo would be a interesting setup for a RPG game.
You are a rogue trying to make a big enough fortune to rescue a girl in your home planet.
Random rogueist missions would totally fit in a setup like that.

Are the bloodstripes canon? I thought it was a cool idea at the time, but it might have been lost in the shuffle.

I know, way too nerdy but I can’t help it.

So I am watching this right now (52 minutes in) and I find it utterly weird how they attempt this heist, two of their crew die including a loved one of the leader Woody and they, like, completely utterly ignore it. What the hell? It’s like

“we totally failed, our plan went to hell, our pilot died, my lover died, but who cares, let’s get paid! or something”

WTF

Life is glamorous, exciting and prone to a quick, violent end when you’re [driving] a [Nissan] Rogue.

Well, that was one forgettable movie. Not insultingly bad like TLJ, just bland, excesivelly fan-servicey to an annoying degree. No desire to ever see it again.

The movie is basically a movie adaptation of the KOTOR games, withouth jedi around.

Not bad. It was an entertaining film for the evening. All the actors were good, the action was good without being overdone or a senseless CG-fest, although yeah, it played too safe as a Han Solo origin story, picking all the predictable elements we knew from the OG trilogy, in special Lando and Chewbacca didn’t have any special plot relevance, they were there just because they had to appear in a Solo origin movie, or at least some executive thought so.
Visually was mostly… mediocre? It had a few decent moments but it looked so grey and brown for a SW movie.
Personally I loved the train hest, it was one of the best parts of the movie with a good sense of physicality for something full of CG, while the mines part was more bland and less interesting. The final part with triple or quadruple betrayal/twist was a bit ridiculous, but admissible for this kind of movie, it makes for entertainment. It was a good decision to put not one, but two possible sources of betrayal, so even you suspected it was coming, you weren’t sure from what side it would be.

Just saw this myself. ok . I kinda really liked it. But I feel guilty for liking it. Turin I loved the train heist. And I loved chewie.

I am gonna rogue one tomorrow and compare.

Watched it tonight, I really liked it. Good stuff, disclaimer: I’ve watched all the Star Wars movies, I read Splinter in the Mind’s Eye by Alan Dean Foster back in the early 80’s, but I’m not a fanboy.

Watching it again really clarified for me how much I disliked the whole Kessel Run sequence.

I watched the first half of this movie on Saturday. I just watched the second half.

That was surprisingly fun. Lots of great moments. Even though it’s a prequel, and I knew that Han and Chewie (and Lando) were all going to live, they still managed to have some very exciting moments. And L3 and the other robots were genuinely hilarious at times.

The weakest part of the movie for me was the very start, when he’s a slave on the starting planet, trying to get away. That whole thing just felt weird. Like a fan fiction section or something. It just didn’t feel like it fit properly in the Star Wars universe.

I’ll go through the thread now to try to maybe understand the surprise appearance of a character that I wasn’t expecting at the end of the movie. Hopefully there’s some kind of explanation.

Spoiler question:
Didn’t Darth Maul die by falling into a bottomless pit at the end of Episode 1? How can he possibly have lived? When you fall into a bottomless pit, you die, right?