Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Answer: you’d have to watch the Clone Wars series. Short version is hatred, lots of hatred and salvage droids.

Hmmmm, okay. Maybe one day. Maybe I’ll try watching it from S1E1 this time. The chronological episode order that the internet recommended starts with a season 2 episode that’s the most boring thing I’ve ever seen.

https://data.whicdn.com/images/307946821/original.gif

Bit more tweaking, do the voice…and it’s actual Solo!

Whelp, I watched this on the plane. The entire time I was mostly enjoying this I kept thinking… I would enjoy this more if this wasn’t Star Wars. No really, I just never got that Star Wars feel, which might be what they were going for, but I did wonder, if they’d just gave us a space adventure with characters we didn’t know, if we’d feel it was lacking in anyway… and I thought, no. I’d probably want to see more of this world they kind of weaved. Instead it was more of a story I didn’t really need to know about characters that it didn’t add anything to… but it’s not a bad movie at all. It’s actually kind of good just sort of, well, lacking for a Star Wars movie.

I saw this the other week and generally enjoyed it. I thought the acting was pretty good and the story was decent if nothing to write home about.

I think the worst thing I can say about the movie is that it was uneasily straddling the line between “gritty” and “family friendly”. Because it’s a movie with main-line characters, they kind of had to make it family-friendly… otherwise you’d have a bunch of 10-year-olds scarred for life when the Wookie disembowels someone. But at the same time, it was a “heist/noir” movie where the eventual double-double-cross was far too complicated to keep 10-year-olds awake and interested. I think it would have been better-served to veer further into the PG-13 range.

Raise your hands if you had this as a kid

So I finally watched this on Netflix over the weekend. I didn’t have enough interest in it to pay for it in a theater, plus I would have had to pay for four.

I have to say this movie has things I liked about it, and it had things I didn’t like about it. I thought the actors were fine, the CGI well done and the action scenes were done well. The Han and Chewy story line was good. But everything else seemed a little off. The story never took the time to slow down and let us enjoy the characters. The best action movies have pauses that then make the action seem even better, and have it make sense. This movie never did that.

I already am a fan of Rogue One, but this movie made that one look like a classic.

Yeah, that’s my biggest gripe. Too much happened in one story. It’s the greatest hits of literally every bit of backstory from the OT. All in the span of a few days.

It’s not that any one thing was done ooorly, but just that they do adhered to what was known we didn’t get enough time to appreciate what was new.

Like, I could go for more Lando and L3 and escaping the Maw. But with so much to cover you don’t get much L3, or the relationship between Han and Lando.

We too watched it over the weekend. Even though I knew going in it would be super masturbatory in its fan wank, it exceeded even my expectations. My wife got particularly mad at the “I hate you.” “I know.” exchange.

That said, Donald Glover was clearly the best thing about the movie.

A friend said it was a great episode of Firefly.

I basically call it “Solo: Remember All That Cool Shit from the Original Trilogy?”

I felt it did do that when they came to the planet where they arrange a little robot revolt. I enjoyed a lot of things on that planet. Lando’s robot got to shine there, the Han and Chewie relationship really blossomed there, and the little robots “rebelling” by stepping on keyboards and such was just so cute and funny. I felt like that was the events on that planet were like the break the movie needed.

Yes, forget all the lead up fluff, make a movie of just the sequence from meeting Lando through the Maw escape. Have that be the job. Have Chewie just be someone he recently met. I’d watch the heck out of that. It was my favorite part, partly because it was the least beholden to the existing story beats that we already knew of.

No one man should be allowed to be as charming as Donald Glover. It’s just unfair.

I think you are down the right track, but you left in too much fluff. I want the whole movie just to be the space octopus. How does it fly faster than a spaceship? What does it actually eat? Metal? How did it live it’s whole life circling a black hole thing without falling into it seems perfectly happy to fly straight into it?

All these questions will be answered in the prequel to Solo.

Agreed. He is easily the best part of the movie. He exudes an easy confidence and a cool charm.

Forget Solo, I want a Lando movie where we see his transformation from smooth operator into the administrator who obviously yearns to get back to his adventuring days.

“Mining colonies. They’re the worst.”

If that’s the kind of fan-wank bullshit we can expect from a Lando prequel, then no thanks.

THANK you. God my eyes hurt from all the rolling.

Saw it now it’s on Netflix. Rather liked it. Possibly preferred it to oh so serious Rogue One, perhaps because it didn’t have a library based on retrieving data with mechanical arms…

Some of you are too cool for school.